Trade news

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Trade news

Post by JollyRoger »

So much for trading Cole to the Yanks for Gleyber Torres and pitching prospects. Torres tore a ligament in his left elbow and is out for the year.
CTBucco

Trade news

Post by CTBucco »

From the talk in the NY press, Torres was about as untouchable as a prospect can get. Clint Frazier comes up as a guy they could move though. Maybe him, Kaprielian, and another #20-30 prospect?
Speedloader88

Trade news

Post by Speedloader88 »

Cole and McCutchen are both beginning to hold up there end of the trade bargain by increasing their value! It is so much more fun to watch the Pirates when Andrew is playing like he is now!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade news

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I want to add and not trade anyone, except Watson. Let's get a Bullpen arm and a third baseman.

Of course, this is assuming Watson is still wanted.
SammyKhalifa

Trade news

Post by SammyKhalifa »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: I want to add and not trade anyone, except Watson.  Let's get a Bullpen arm and a third baseman.

In your scenario we'd be gearing up to try to eek out the division. You don't want to trade the guys that are doing well and I see where you're coming from .

In that case, if we don't want Watson, I'm not sure why anyone else would either.
johnfluharty

Trade news

Post by johnfluharty »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: I want to add and not trade anyone, except Watson.  Let's get a Bullpen arm and a third baseman.

I don't think third base is that much of a need. A couple of bullpen arms would definitely be nice though.
SammyKhalifa

Trade news

Post by SammyKhalifa »

My fear is that we'll be just good enough to feel bad about trading off to contenders, but not good enough to make real waves.
SammyKhalifa

Trade news

Post by SammyKhalifa »

666364626A6079646D7E78750C0 wrote: I want to add and not trade anyone, except Watson.  Let's get a Bullpen arm and a third baseman.

I don't think third base is that much of a need.  A couple of bullpen arms would definitely be nice though.

If they're serious, then the trade needs to be for a SP
Bobster21

Trade news

Post by Bobster21 »

4F7D71716557747D70757A7D1C0 wrote: I want to add and not trade anyone, except Watson.  Let's get a Bullpen arm and a third baseman.

In your scenario we'd be gearing up to try to eek out the division.  You don't want to trade the guys that are doing well and I see where you're coming from . 

In that case, if we don't want Watson, I'm not sure why anyone else would either. 

I think they would get an A or mediocre AA player for Watson. He's been good in the past, isn't too old and someone always thinks they can straighten out another team's struggling player. Look at all the reclamation projects the Pirates take on. But that sort of trade won't help the Pirates much.

I find all the trade talk depressing. This FO should be building a team, not selling off its parts to restock the minors. And not acquiring players who have to be traded before their salary becomes too large to keep the payroll in the bottom 5 or 6 of MLB every year. Getting someone like Rivero was great. But we're already reading posts about what they might be able to get for him. Harrison came from a trade. But then there were the trades that brought quantity over quality: Tabata, Dan McCutchen, Karstens, Ohlendorf, Morton, Locke, Gorkys Hernandez. Those kinds of deals put bodies on the field but don't make the team a contender. We finally saw 3 nice seasons after 20 years of losing and now the team seems headed in the other direction these past 2 seasons. This FO needs to step up and build a team and not sell off its parts.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade news

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I hope they aren't headed that way. I think this team has some good players. These guys have won before. And some of those trades helped the Pirates win (Morton, Locke).

I want to trade for next year more than this year. Huntington has been pretty good at the deadlines getting players to help down the stretch and not giving up much. Maybe he can land a 3B of the future or a good bullpen arm? Starting pitching would be nice too, but the Pirates have depth.

I, too, was hoping the Pirates and their fans were done with the "what can we trade this guy for". One bad season in 2016 really turned the fan base (this year isn't helping either) after three years of making the Playoffs.

Rivero is a perfect example. Why trade him? He is cheap, dominant, and can't go anywhere. He hasn't even been a Pirate for a whole season, year.