Reynolds Requests Trade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by Surgnbuck »

093C2B2B20192B2B20272B4E0 wrote: My first reaction to the OP was- "Why?"  I should have known, I guess.

I have no idea how players are rated, but Reynolds has to be among the better centerfielders in MLB, and deserves to be paid as such.

Every team has received its final installment of $30 m. from the Disney deal.  The Pirates have the money to pay Bryan Reynolds. 

Life goes on as well know it on Federal Street.
You just proved my point. Without anyone knowing exactly what figures are involved, Reynolds automatically gets a pass.

He just quit on his team, yet no one seems to mind. Guess another banner day of bashing the owner, even if we don't know the details.
fjk090852-7

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If the Bucs were to trade Reynolds, possibly they should consider signing free agent outfielder Andrew Benintendi. They lose the power of Reynolds, but Benintendi is a good hitter and outfielder

GreenWeenie

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

1E383F2A232F382E264D0 wrote: My first reaction to the OP was- "Why?"  I should have known, I guess.

I have no idea how players are rated, but Reynolds has to be among the better centerfielders in MLB, and deserves to be paid as such.

Every team has received its final installment of $30 m. from the Disney deal.  The Pirates have the money to pay Bryan Reynolds. 

You just proved my point. Without anyone knowing exactly what figures are involved, Reynolds automatically gets a pass.

He just quit on his team, yet no one seems to mind. Guess another banner day of bashing the owner, even if we don't know the details.

I dont care what the numbers are.  It's not my money.

It's the same story.  All we ever need to do is erase one guy's name and replace it with the next guy.

We lose BR, we lose 100 games.  Maybe 105.

Now, if Ben replaces BR with some stud SP (not some Bryse Wilson) I'll be first to applaud him.
ChillinStation

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by ChillinStation »

See this is my favorite part of being a Pirates fan. Trades for prospects .
Bobster21

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by Bobster21 »

1D36212E570 wrote: Generally, when a player of Reynolds stature requests a trade, it creates a lot of conversation, but the trading team loses some ground in the return. The suitors know eventually the Pirates will need to move on and will have to take less.

I'd be surprised to see Reynolds move during the meetings even though this would now appear to be the peak of of the return in a trade.
I don't see why a team would offer less because the trade was the player's request. The Pirates are not obligated to trade him but if they do, there will be a number of suitors trying to make a more enticing offer than the others.
GreenWeenie

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

466067727B7760767E150 wrote: My first reaction to the OP was- "Why?"  I should have known, I guess.

You and I appear to have a fundamental difference of opinion.

You say that Reynolds has just quit on his team.

I say that Reynolds didn't do any such thing.

"Just" means that it....just happened. I doubt that. This has most likely gone on for several months of unsuccessful negotiations. It's probably been heading toward this.

More importantly, he hasn't quit on his team. He's possibly quitting on his employer. If that's the case, so be it. He wants to seek better opportunities to meet his goals. I've never been opposed to anyone- baseball player or regular Joe- who wants to better himself.

Saddened to possibly lose him, but happy for him if it's what he wants.

What the Pirates- and every other business needs- is guys who do well and have a happy enough relationship with their surroundings to stay while they perform well.

I side with the player in this case because his track record's been a lot better than his employer has been for a long, long time. He receives the pass because he's more deserving.
jkenn13

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by jkenn13 »

Isn't this a typical Boros client move??!

Boras always advises his clieints to test the market, he doesn't want his clients to sign with a team without going to the free agent market.

It seems a lot like a ploy buy Boros to get things stirred up right before the MLB winter meetings.

GreenWeenie

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

If he's a Boras client, it's since last year.

This time last year, he was represented by another agency, CAA Sports. According to the internet just now, he is still their client.
mouse

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by mouse »

The reality is that he's going to be traded. Not this year, maybe, but certainly next year or the year after. The Pirates won't keep until he's able to walk away. The real question is what we get in return. The important thing to remember there is that he's a wasting asset. He won't be worth as much next year as this year (one less year of benefit to the acquiring team), nor next year as opposed to the year after. So, do we think the extra wins that would come from having him in 2023 outweigh the talent we might get instead. This is what keeps general managers awake at night.
Surgnbuck

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by Surgnbuck »

282A303620450 wrote: The reality is that he's going to be traded. Not this year, maybe, but certainly next year or the year after. The Pirates won't keep until he's able to walk away. The real question is what we get in return. The important thing to remember there is that he's a wasting asset. He won't be worth as much next year as this year (one less year of benefit to the acquiring team), nor next year as opposed to the year after. So, do we think the extra wins that would come from having him in 2023 outweigh the talent we might get instead. This is what keeps general managers awake at night.
My preference would to be keep him because of the years of control. But now that he's a liar and a quitter, I say trade him now. Problem is, if he were to be traded I wanted it to be a Major League trade, enough of prospects already. Do a package where we get a 2/3 type starter with some control. But I think he just tanked that with his hissy fit.