Reynolds Requests Trade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by MaineBucs »

Reynolds requesting a trade is a headline on the MLB Trade Rumors site.

Not a good sign when your best player, who is already under contract for next season and 2 more years of club control asks (requests) to get out.

I will be interested to read the article and see if the headline matches up with the story, and to see how BC responds. The headline may generate more substantive trade offers as the winter meetings unfold.
WildwoodDave2

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

133F37303B1C2B3D2D5E0 wrote: Reynolds requesting a trade is a headline on the MLB Trade Rumors site.

Not a good sign when your best player, who is already under contract for next season and 2 more years of club control asks (requests) to get out.

I will be interested to read the article and see if the headline matches up with the story, and to see how BC responds.  The headline may generate more substantive trade offers as the winter meetings unfold.    
According to Jon Heyman of the New York Post, Reynolds made the request because contract extension talks between the two sides have reached an 'impasse" Mackey reported that there is no

indication that the Pirates will move quickly to deal him
Javy

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by Javy »

Generally, when a player of Reynolds stature requests a trade, it creates a lot of conversation, but the trading team loses some ground in the return. The suitors know eventually the Pirates will need to move on and will have to take less.

I'd be surprised to see Reynolds move during the meetings even though this would now appear to be the peak of of the return in a trade.
steve49

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by steve49 »

MLB rumors infers that his request to be traded stems from an impasse on an extension. Could very well be that if Pirates feel they can't extend him , they may decide to trade him this year and get the max value ?
JollyRoger

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by JollyRoger »

Nutting must be jumping for joy.

He can now get rid of Reynolds contract get more prospects and not be blamed for trading the centerpiece of the franchise since Reynolds requested the trade.

However the comment about an extension impasse speaks loudly that money still gets in the way of the Pirates moving forward.
Ecbucs

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by Ecbucs »

19353D3A3116213727540 wrote: Reynolds requesting a trade is a headline on the MLB Trade Rumors site.

I will be interested to read the article and see if the headline matches up with the story, and to see how BC responds.  The headline may generate more substantive trade offers as the winter meetings unfold.    

by making a public trade request, it is Reynolds adding pressure to the Bucs front office. If he is way out of their price range he will get dealt but it could be that an agreement will be reached too.
Surgnbuck

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by Surgnbuck »

And now Reynolds has essentially used his popularity, knowing full well he can't lose regardless if his demands are too high or ridiculous, because we'll never know.

I am one of the few who was very critical of Reynolds last season, especially as he was a no show for the first 4 months. His defensive play is awful. Yet, because he's "the man" on the team, he gets a free pass to be a bum for most of the season, then finally shows up.

I hope he gets traded, and I hope it's to the Tigers or A's. Pirates have lost any leverage now of being able to trade him for a major league pitcher, he's probably all prospects now.

Really disappointed in him. IMHO, he just quit on the team, because he knows how much Bob is hated around here, he can't lose.
GreenWeenie

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by GreenWeenie »

My first reaction to the OP was- "Why?"  I should have known, I guess.

I have no idea how players are rated, but Reynolds has to be among the better centerfielders in MLB, and deserves to be paid as such.

Every team has received its final installment of $30 m. from the Disney deal.  The Pirates have the money to pay Bryan Reynolds. 

Life goes on as well know it on Federal Street.
fjk090852-7

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Jon Heyman has reported that the Pirates offered Reynolds money in excess of any previous long term Pirate’s contract. I believe Hayes signed for $70 million this past April. Reynolds and his agent declined to accept the amount offered.
MaineBucs

Reynolds Requests Trade

Post by MaineBucs »

My take --- to me, the actual article is less deflating than the original headline.

The issue is the amount of money offered during discussions of a contract extension, and not just an outright trade me request because he is a Pirate. Many MLB players are po'd with the amount offered during contract extensions (Bogarts and Judge are 2 examples). My comments:

1) It is heartening to hear that the Pirates are actually open to discussing a longer term deal with Reynolds. They likely were low in their offer, but hey, their open to the idea.

2) The Pirates have time to try and work this out. Reynolds is under team control for another 3 years.

3) If Reynolds, in the long-term, wants to earn a good contract from another team (should he reach free agency or be traded), it will be critical that he performs well. In short, I don't think that he will quit on the team solely because of the amount of the current contract that he agreed to or because he didn't get as much in a longer term deal that he wanted. Reynolds, like most players, is sharp enough to know that you gotta produce to earn a maximum contract.

4) And with Reynolds, even though he didn't get what he wanted, if he has a big year this year, he knows that he will earn the big bucks through arbitration in 2024.

5) I don't think that this type of noise hurts what the Pirates could get in a trade at all.

I do agree with SurgnBuc that Reynolds performance last year had a lot of holes in it, particularly during the first 2/3rd's of a season, and that his defense in CF in 2022 (which was good in 2021) left lots to be desired. The Bucs really should move him back to LF, but this could become a point of contention with him because the amount he can earn as a CF'er likely is more than if he is a LF'er.

Unlike SurgnBuc, I want Reynolds to remain a Pirate this season. Maybe having dancin' Santana and his infectious smile on the team will help. :)

Oh well, on the GM meetings and some more rumors.