Cutch's Struggles Continue

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I absolutely would not trade him now either. I think he has nowhere to go but up as well. It would be a big mistake to get rid of him now. As I stated before I think Cutch just needs to man up and play better it's really that simple. Cutch's play in CF has really become more annoying to watch game after game. It was really irritating to see him have two balls go off his glove last week in the Sunday game against the Cubs, and then the next few routine fly balls that were hit to Cutch he had to make sure he got all cute and put on a show and look into his glove to make sure that they didn't fall out. If Cutch was hitting like he has in the past and playing like he was in the past this wouldn't annoy me as much, but the fact that he did that still tells me he has a big ego and he is more worried about looking cute and cool at times then actually playing well.
Quail

Post by Quail »

515850414F350 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

Agree.  The Pirates would need to get multiple premier prospects in return.

I see no reason to trade him, he is very cheap next year for a player of his caliber and there is no viable replacement.  Meadows is not ready yet.

Depends on whether Cutch's calibre is what we're seeing this year or what he has been in the past. Currently of the 20 MLB center fielders who have had a minimum of 275 plate appearances Cutch ranks 14th in OPS. He's the 6th highest paid player at the position. If one takes into account  his sub-par defense as well I'm not so sure that paying Cutch $14,000,000 in 2017 would be a good return on investment.

And there are the numbers.   14th in OPS, but if he's not the worst defensive CF in baseball, he's the 2nd worst. :   By the numbers, 2016 Cutch is a fringe starter.   

He has nowhere to go but up.   Selling now would be a huge mistake imo

I agree about not selling now. But by that I mean in mid-season. I would look seriously at dealing him in the off-season.

Do you see an ideal time to consider trading him? Should the Pirates consider trading him at all?

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

5773676F6A060 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

I see no reason to trade him, he is very cheap next year for a player of his caliber and there is no viable replacement.  Meadows is not ready yet.

Depends on whether Cutch's calibre is what we're seeing this year or what he has been in the past. Currently of the 20 MLB center fielders who have had a minimum of 275 plate appearances Cutch ranks 14th in OPS. He's the 6th highest paid player at the position. If one takes into account  his sub-par defense as well I'm not so sure that paying Cutch $14,000,000 in 2017 would be a good return on investment.

And there are the numbers.   14th in OPS, but if he's not the worst defensive CF in baseball, he's the 2nd worst. :   By the numbers, 2016 Cutch is a fringe starter.   

I agree about not selling now. But by that I mean in mid-season. I would look seriously at dealing him in the off-season.

Do you see an ideal time to consider trading him? Should the Pirates consider trading him at all?

I wouldn't trade him.  Just sit on him.   His increased K numbers don't make sense with "aging".   He will rebound.   I would move him to Left field

I dislike every aspect of Cutch's defense.  There's nothing he does that is above average, to my eyes.  Bad first step, bad angles, showboats when he doesn't have to and costs him, bad instincts, doesn't go back on balls well, and throws terribly.   Bad hands too.   He's the worst everyday CF I've seen in a long time, defensively.

It's been going on for years but the bat has covered it. This year is exceptionally bad, however.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

The team trading Walker opened the door for just about anyone else to be dealt
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Who plays in the outfield?

Joyce is in a slump. Frazier is not McCutchen. Rodriguez?

McCutchen is still the best player for the Pirates to run out there every day. I don't think his replacements would be better playing every day. They could be exposed like they (Joyce, Rodriguez) were in the past.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

If Polanco was healthy I would definitely consider moving Marte to center, putting Polanco in left and Bell in right a few times a week for Cutch. But that isn't an option right now. The bottom line is Cutch just needs to play better plain and simple. He stinks right now and as long as he continues to stink more the Pirates chances of making the playoffs are going to decrease day by day.
Quail

Post by Quail »

656C64757B010 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

I wouldn't trade him.  Just sit on him.   His increased K numbers don't make sense with "aging".   He will rebound.   I would move him to Left field

I dislike every aspect of Cutch's defense.  There's nothing he does that is above average, to my eyes.  Bad first step, bad angles, showboats when he doesn't have to and costs him, bad instincts, doesn't go back on balls well, and throws terribly.   Bad hands too.   He's the worst everyday CF I've seen in a long time, defensively.

It's been going on for years but the bat has covered it.   This year is exceptionally bad, however.

Regarding his increased K numbers. If his pitch recognition is the problem, then as you suggest aging doesn't account for this. If anything his experience should be improving that aspect of his game.

There is the possibility though that as we've seen with his loss of speed that perhaps his pitch recognition has never been the best, but his quick bat and strength were able to compensate for that shortcoming. The loss of strength and ability to adjust to a pitch require more skeletal muscle strength and flexibility which could be age related.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote:

McCutchen is still the best player for the Pirates to run out there every day.  I don't think his replacements would be better playing every day.  They could be exposed like they (Joyce, Rodriguez) were in the past.
That's true. The problem is that Hurdle continues to bat him 3rd, which is killing the offense. Any other player hitting like Cutch has hit all season and not having "McCutchen" on the back of his uniform would be batting 6th or 7th.

KLBuccos

Post by KLBuccos »

Hurdle needs to rest him. Let him regain his confidence. It's all in the mind. I don't believe he has lost his talent. Unless he has lost some bat speed that makes him so effective.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote:

McCutchen is still the best player for the Pirates to run out there every day.  I don't think his replacements would be better playing every day.  They could be exposed like they (Joyce, Rodriguez) were in the past.
That's true. The problem is that Hurdle continues to bat him 3rd, which is killing the offense. Any other player hitting like Cutch has hit all season and not having "McCutchen" on the back of his uniform would be batting 6th or 7th.

I agree. I would drop him in the line up. Hurdle did drop him from two to three, but that isn't far enough.