Cutch's Struggles Continue

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

After an 0-8 game yesterday Cutch is now hitting .244. I don't think anyone would have predicted this average for Cutch in July back in Spring Training. He has dropped from one of the best players in baseball to an average player. In the past you wanted him at bat with runners on base because you expected him to drive home his teammates. He still has about 70 games to return to the Cutch we have enjoyed in the past, but if he does not, do the Bucs consider moving him this winter. He has one year and an option left on his team friendly contract, and that could make him attractive to another team. The bigger questions are what can he bring to the BUcs in a trade, or what happens if this is just a down year, and he returns to the former Cutch ? I am old enough to recall the Reds trading Frank Robinson to the Orioles for Milt Pappas. The Reds thought Robinson was beginning to show his age, so they moved him. Probably the worst trade the Reds ever made because Robinson won an MVP with the O's lead them to some World Series. I would hate to give up on Cutch after this season, but I think the Bucs will have to weigh their options with him as they move forward.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

7D4F43435765464F4247484F2E0 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

Agree. The Pirates would need to get multiple premier prospects in return.

I see no reason to trade him, he is very cheap next year for a player of his caliber and there is no viable replacement. Meadows is not ready yet.
Quail

Post by Quail »

1E13122533333F36313E500 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

Agree.  The Pirates would need to get multiple premier prospects in return.

I see no reason to trade him, he is very cheap next year for a player of his caliber and there is no viable replacement.  Meadows is not ready yet.

Depends on whether Cutch's calibre is what we're seeing this year or what he has been in the past. Currently of the 20 MLB center fielders who have had a minimum of 275 plate appearances Cutch ranks 14th in OPS. He's the 6th highest paid player at the position. If one takes into account his sub-par defense as well I'm not so sure that paying Cutch $14,000,000 in 2017 would be a good return on investment.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

1C382C24214D0 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

I see no reason to trade him, he is very cheap next year for a player of his caliber and there is no viable replacement.  Meadows is not ready yet.

Depends on whether Cutch's calibre is what we're seeing this year or what he has been in the past. Currently of the 20 MLB center fielders who have had a minimum of 275 plate appearances Cutch ranks 14th in OPS. He's the 6th highest paid player at the position. If one takes into account  his sub-par defense as well I'm not so sure that paying Cutch $14,000,000 in 2017 would be a good return on investment.

I would imagine that a healthy McCutchen hits better.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6F62635442424E47404F210 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

Depends on whether Cutch's calibre is what we're seeing this year or what he has been in the past. Currently of the 20 MLB center fielders who have had a minimum of 275 plate appearances Cutch ranks 14th in OPS. He's the 6th highest paid player at the position. If one takes into account  his sub-par defense as well I'm not so sure that paying Cutch $14,000,000 in 2017 would be a good return on investment.

I would imagine that a healthy McCutchen hits better.

I been saying this for awhile now that if Cutch is that hurt and it is having that much of an impact on the way he is playing then go on the DL for crying out loud. He is not helping the Pirates by going out there and playing hurt everyday. I personally think he just needs to man up and play better. It looked like he was starting to get there before the All Star break and then he fell off a cliff pretty much this past weekend.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

1419182F3939353C3B345A0 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

I would listen to offers for him. It would have to be a young very good ML Caliber player already up and producing and a super pitcher pospect or two. Marte should be playing center anyway Cutch should be moved to LF if he stays. I think he's still got a few good years ahead but needs to be moved down in the lineup with Polonco hitting 3rd. Must get a great return on him but he is no longer untouchable.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

262A2B7079707875726D77400 wrote: After an 0-8 game yesterday Cutch is now hitting .244. I don't think anyone would have predicted this average for Cutch in July back in Spring Training. He has dropped from one of the best players in baseball to an average player. In the past you wanted him at bat with runners on base because you expected him to drive home his teammates. He still has about 70 games to return to the Cutch we have enjoyed in the past, but if he does not, do the Bucs consider moving him this winter. He has one year and an option left on his team friendly contract, and that could make him attractive to another team. The bigger questions are what can he bring to the BUcs in a trade, or what happens if this is just a down year, and he returns to the former Cutch ? I am old enough to recall the Reds trading Frank Robinson to the Orioles for Milt Pappas. The Reds thought Robinson was beginning to show his age, so they moved him. Probably the worst trade the Reds ever made because Robinson won an MVP with the O's lead them to some World Series. I would hate to give up on Cutch after this season, but I think the Bucs will have to weigh their options with him as they move forward.

2 Points:   

1) He's not an average player this year, he's below average.  His CF defense is pitiful and his bat is eerily similar Pedro (as is his defensive ineptitude in CF).

2)  to trade him now would be a huge, huge mistake.   Playing so far under his norm he's a fringe starter.

My take
Quail

Post by Quail »

I'm not seeing anywhere that Cutch is not healthy. His thumb issue was reported a while back but I've read where he claims that it no longer is affecting his performance. If there are any other health related concerns that Cutch has I haven't heard about them.

What I have seen is that he's lost at least a step in his speed and that his pitch recognition ability is off which has upped his K rate significantly. I don't think it's impossible that he's dealing with some undisclosed health concerns which could be causing his underachieving but I find it equally likely that he's aging badly and his skills are simply eroding.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4C687C74711D0 wrote: I don't think you trade someone after a bad season.

And there are the numbers. 14th in OPS, but if he's not the worst defensive CF in baseball, he's the 2nd worst. : By the numbers, 2016 Cutch is a fringe starter.

He has nowhere to go but up. Selling now would be a huge mistake imo