Who is the #18 prospect for 2018

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

22253427346568510 wrote: I think Jason Martin (from Houston) is getting way overlooked.  He hit .280 with 18 HRs and an OPS at .820 last year splitting the season between A and AA.  If he was in the Pirates system last year, he'd be a top 10 prospect.  I think he was around 15 in the Astros system.  He should be higher here.

I really don't know much about him but what bothers me is Houston didn't protect him in the expansion draft. He did have 300 Ab's in AA so, you wouldn't think if teams thought that much of him , it would be that unusual for someone to claim him ?

That's true. It's just hard to ignore a guy with power being added to this system. He does strike out a lot, but he's held a solid average. Plus, he can steal bases. He's only 22, which is probably part of the reason no one picked him up.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I don't think selecting a 22 year old prospect that hasn't played above AA is beneficial to any interested stakeholder. Few prospects are of the pedigree to move from AA to the majors and hold down a job, so what your really doing by selecting him is derailing his development by either having him be overmatched by MLB competition, or waste an entire year of AAA at bats sitting on the ML bench.

Houston leaving him unprotected and being undrafted, indicate nothing more than we already knew. That he's not one of the top prospects in the game.