Liriano

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Liriano

Post by Bobster21 »

Hutchison has 30 MLB wins and over 400 innings. And he was doing okay in AAA this year. But the Blue Jays preferred to chase a pennant with Liriano, who was having a bad year, rather than Hutchison. So I'm not too excited about Hutchison.
dmetz

Liriano

Post by dmetz »

617C585A54310 wrote: Not being a very good pitcher is the mostly likely explanation. ( Career 4.05 ERA in AAA)

But sure, so long as there's another inning for him to throw, we better wait and see how that embarrassment of a trade turns out

What was Happ's career ERA in the majors when the Pirates traded for him?  I'll bet it was well over 4.05.

You're always going to be able to find a player who failed similar age, similiar level and then turned it around to say "there's a chance". 

There's a chance a .200 hitter is going to get you that RBI single too.   What's the probability, is the question.

But none of that really matters, because we paid a premier price for a currently pedestrian AAA starting pitcher who is already in Arb1.   A reclamation project in his own right.   What did we pay for Happ again?

dmetz

Liriano

Post by dmetz »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: Hutchison has 30 MLB wins and over 400 innings. And he was doing okay in AAA this year. But the Blue Jays preferred to chase a pennant with Liriano, who was having a bad year, rather than Hutchison. So I'm not too excited about Hutchison.

Not just this year, next year too. Frankie has several recent years of being a dominant left handed starter in MLB, has no velocity or strikeout issues, a history of rebounding from these control dips, and is due to make 13 mil next year.
RichD

Liriano

Post by RichD »

Yep, Marlins have our number in this series .

Voggy still giving us a chance but the bats are cold.

oh well :-[

woops wrong thread >:(
BenM

Liriano

Post by BenM »

48414958562C0 wrote:

But none of that really matters, because we paid a premier price for a currently pedestrian AAA starting pitcher who is already in Arb1.   A reclamation project in his own right.   What did we pay for Happ again?

Adrian Sampson. Who was in AAA at the time and is still in AAA.
Ecbucs

Liriano

Post by Ecbucs »

76515A79340 wrote:

Adrian Sampson. Who was in AAA at the time and is still in AAA.

he made one start for Seattle this season and has had elbow surgery. June 25: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1651 ... ured-elbow

right-hander Adrian Sampson needs surgery on his injured right elbow and is expected to miss the remainder of the season.

The 24-year-old right-hander (0-1, 7.71 ERA) left the mound in the first inning in Detroit on Thursday after appearing to suffer the injury during warm-ups. Sampson felt sudden discomfort in his elbow and had to be pulled from the game before throwing a single pitch.

Sampson said he had felt good during his pregame bullpen session, but he tired late in the warmup and began to feel like he couldn't finish his pitches. When he took the mound before the first inning in Detroit, his arm was sore and aching all of a sudden.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Liriano

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: Hutchison has 30 MLB wins and over 400 innings. And he was doing okay in AAA this year. But the Blue Jays preferred to chase a pennant with Liriano, who was having a bad year, rather than Hutchison. So I'm not too excited about Hutchison.

The Blue Jays have only won one of Liriano's starts so far.
mouse

Liriano

Post by mouse »

And it may be that the appeal of the included prospects was what persuaded to them.
Bobster21

Liriano

Post by Bobster21 »

6A68727462070 wrote: And it may be that the appeal of the included prospects was what persuaded to them.
I think that's a given. Toronto is in the top 11 of MLB payrolls so they won't cringe at Liriano's salary even if he doesn't do well. The Pirates wanted to shed Liriano's salary since he wasn't pitching well and apparently the Blue Jays thought it was worth the risk as long as they got 2 of the Pirates' top 10 prospects to take Liriano's salary.
zeitgeist

Liriano

Post by zeitgeist »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: And it may be that the appeal of the included prospects was what persuaded to them.
I think that's a given. Toronto is in the top 11 of MLB payrolls so they won't cringe at Liriano's salary even if he doesn't do well. The Pirates wanted to shed Liriano's salary since he wasn't pitching well and apparently the Blue Jays thought it was worth the risk as long as they got 2 of the Pirates' top 10 prospects to take Liriano's salary. 

It would hardly be a surprise if Liriano rebounds. He had just had a dominant 13 K outing one or two starts before the trade. I will never understand this trade. I get shedding his salary. I get taking a flyer on Hutchinson, but I will never understand throwing in 2 prospects! I am find with Harold but adding Reese made no sense whatsoever. I love NH but I can't sign off on this trade.