What a Contrast

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

What a Contrast

Post by Bobster21 »

566374747F4674747F7874110 wrote: The real judgment of Cherington is the same as when other general managers are judged:  at the end of every game.  Same as for the other 29.

The previous guy was run out of town for doing badly, and this guy hasn't even gotten there yet, let alone done better.

I dont understand why we have to wait so many years before it's fair to assess anyone.

People on this board haven't waited to criticize Shelton or some of Cherington's players, have they?
Apples & oranges. The job of the players and the manager is to do the best they can to win the game that day. Even if overmatched, they have to do their best. The mgr and players on a bad team are expected to do whatever they can even to win 60 games rather than 59. When the manager is making poor use of his roster or the players are playing poorly, they're going to be criticized.

The GM has to focus on the overall organization. He can't focus on winning 60 rather than 59 games. He has to focus on turning a 60 win team into a 90 win team. That will take several years even if he succeeds. It's fair to criticize his effort to do that. Is he drafting well? Trading well? Developing talent well? Hiring the right people? Is he making a reasonable effort to accomplish his goal?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to bash the GM every time the bad team loses a game--hopefully--on its way to becoming a better team. If we judge the GM at the end of every game, it's as if those games are being played in a vacuum: nothing matters but the outcome of that game. We can be happy if they win 60 instead of 59 and not care if they ever get good. I'd rather have the GM focus on the big picture. I'm critical of BC for hiring Shelton and for announcing he'll return next year. I'm critical of BC because, other than Contreras, none of the prospects filling the roster this year are doing well. I'll be critical if his high draft picks fail or he makes poor trades. But I recognize what he's attempting to do. If the current team was good enough that all that mattered was winning that day's game, a rebuild wouldn't even be necessary. But the Pirates are not the Yankees, whose GM might need to acquire an impact player at the TDL because a few more wins could make the difference between winning it all or missing the post season. The Pirates are in such bad shape that it's more important to overhaul the team--which can't be done overnight--than to win 1 more meaningless game in another meaningless season. I have no idea if BC will succeed. Huis hiring of Shelton gives me cause for concern. But judging him after every game of a meaningless season in what is obviously an attempt to rebuild seems like a waste of time.
GreenWeenie

What a Contrast

Post by GreenWeenie »

Cherington is responsible for baseball operations. It's what we see on the field of play and all that goes with it.

It's at his doorstep.

It's his apple.

2drfischer@gmail.c

What a Contrast

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: The real judgment of Cherington is the same as when other general managers are judged:  at the end of every game.  Same as for the other 29.

The previous guy was run out of town for doing badly, and this guy hasn't even gotten there yet, let alone done better.

I dont understand why we have to wait so many years before it's fair to assess anyone.

People on this board haven't waited to criticize Shelton or some of Cherington's players, have they?
Apples & oranges. The job of the players and the manager is to do the best they can to win the game that day. Even if overmatched, they have to do their best. The mgr and players on a bad team are expected to do whatever they can even to win 60 games rather than 59. When the manager is making poor use of his roster or the players are playing poorly, they're going to be criticized.

The GM has to focus on the overall organization. He can't focus on winning 60 rather than 59 games. He has to focus on turning a 60 win team into a 90 win team. That will take several years even if he succeeds. It's fair to criticize his effort to do that. Is he drafting well? Trading well? Developing talent well? Hiring the right people? Is he making a reasonable effort to accomplish his goal?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to bash the GM every time the bad team loses a game--hopefully--on its way to becoming a better team. If we judge the GM at the end of every game, it's as if those games are being played in a vacuum: nothing matters but the outcome of that game. We can be happy if they win 60 instead of 59 and not care if they ever get good. I'd rather have the GM focus on the big picture. I'm critical of BC for hiring Shelton and for announcing he'll return next year. I'm critical of BC because, other than Contreras, none of the prospects filling the roster this year are doing well. I'll be critical if his high draft picks fail or he makes poor trades. But I recognize what he's attempting to do. If the current team was good enough that all that mattered was winning that day's game, a rebuild wouldn't even be necessary. But the Pirates are not the Yankees, whose GM might need to acquire an impact player at the TDL because a few more wins could make the difference between winning it all or missing the post season. The Pirates are in such bad shape that it's more important to overhaul the team--which can't be done overnight--than to win 1 more meaningless game in another meaningless season. I have no idea if BC will succeed. Huis hiring of Shelton gives me cause for concern. But judging him after every game of a meaningless season in what is obviously an attempt to rebuild seems like a waste of time.   

Well said, Bob. Those who understand baseball as it's structured today, and what's going on in Pittsburgh, would agree.
INbuc

What a Contrast

Post by INbuc »

Well said Bobster and well said Doc. What we have seen this year hasn’t been very pretty, but you don’t have to squint too hard to see better days ahead.
DemDog

What a Contrast

Post by DemDog »

00072B3C2A490 wrote: Well said Bobster and well said Doc.  What we have seen this year hasn’t been very pretty, but [highlight]you don’t have to squint too hard to see better days ahead.[/highlight]

With my 15/20 corrected vision, I don't need to squint to see the better days ahead.
ArnoldRothstein

What a Contrast

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Bump. Lost back in 2016.
maher.timothy20@gm

What a Contrast

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

69484069424A2D0 wrote: Well said Bobster and well said Doc.  What we have seen this year hasn’t been very pretty, but [highlight]you don’t have to squint too hard to see better days ahead.[/highlight]

With my 15/20 corrected vision, I don't need to squint to see the better days ahead. 

I'm seriously not trying to sound contrarian or argumentative, I'd be interested to hear why you guys think better days are ahead.

Cruz looks fantastic at times but there's no guarantee he'll improve his average. Rodriguez and Peguero, the future of the infield, look okay at best in the minor leagues. Endy Rodriguez looks good but he's probably not a central piece. Priester and Burrows could be good--maybe--but it could be years and years before they hit their prime.

Meanwhile none of the outfield prospects seem all that exciting to me. Suwinski has hit a bunch of home runs but so did Jordan Luplow when he went to the Indians. Everyone else may be no better than Jose Osuna.

I don't know I'm usually a rose-colored glasses guy but this rebuild seems to be shaping up as a bust from what I can tell. And we know Bob's not going to ride in on a white horse built out of cash to make up for the deficiencies of Cherington's plan.
MaineBucs

What a Contrast

Post by MaineBucs »

First, I am not sold on the future, but I will offer my thoughts on why things could be better.

1 - In looking at the Bucs Top 20 prospects, only 2 out of the 20 are getting a bit long in the tooth; Swaggerty at AAA is 25, and Matt Frazier at AA is 24. Most of the team's highest ranked prospects are 22 or younger, and are playing at or above age appropriate leagues.

2 - The Pirates have thrown a lot of rookies onto the field this year. In a recent game, 6 of the 9 position players (includes the DH) qualified as rookies when the year began. And, similar to above, only one of the rookies (our emergency healthy body catchers, either Heineman or Delay at catcher), were long in the tooth. Castro - 22, Marcano - soon 22, Cruz - 23, Suwinski - 24, Mitchell - 23, Madris - 25/26 (getting up there). That is a lot of youth, and many younger players struggle when recalled.

3 - Gonzalez is now raking at AA after his return from injury and could be the real deal. Peguero is young for AA, and Davis is already at AA, although he has dealt with so many injuries it is tough to get a good read. Although I have never seen him play, and he has not cracked any top 100 prospect lists that I have seen, Endy Rodriguez is putting up fantastic numbers at AA since his promotion. Yes, all of the above players could fail, but the addition of the above 4 players to the major league roster within the next 12 - 18 months could be a real shot in the arm talent wise.

4 - Although both Hayes and Reynolds are not having the best of years, both, particularly Reynolds, could remain a solid contributor for the next 2 years.

5 - Contrereas looks like the real deal. He could be an anchor to the starting staff.

6 - Kellar and even Brubaker are showing signs of progress, and could be real contributors to the starting rotation.

7 - Admittedly, most of the better minor league pitchers seem a ways away, but it appears that there is hope that some of them can contribute.

8 - Not all players need to be stars, they just need to be contributors. Even the best teams count on their depth of talent to provide a boost to their star players. On the Pirates, they particularly will need to rely on the depth of their players.

9 - Bob Nutting isn't just cheap, he rivals Scrooge when it comes to pinching pennies and squezzing nickles. That said, with so many low cost rookies on the team, perhaps, just perhaps (yes, I do dream now and then) he will authorize spending some real money on a player of two because the overall payroll is so low.

10 - So, a future line-up:

Peguero - SS

Gonzalez - 2nd

Reynolds - CF

Davis - C/1st/DH

Cruz - 1st, 3rd, RF or DH

Rodriguez - C/1st/DH

Castro or Hayes - 3rd

Suwinski - LF

Mitchell - RF or DH

Reserves

Bae

Swaggerty

Castro

???

The above line-up could (read could) offer a decent mix of folks who can get on base and folks with a bit of sock.

Oh well, lunch is ending, back to writing zoning ordinances.
WildwoodDave2

What a Contrast

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2C00080F0423140212610 wrote: First, I am not sold on the future, but I will offer my thoughts on why things could be better.

1 - In looking at the Bucs Top 20 prospects, only 2 out of the 20 are getting a bit long in the tooth; Swaggerty at AAA is 25, and Matt Frazier at AA is 24.  Most of the team's highest ranked prospects are 22 or younger, and are playing at or above age appropriate leagues.

2 - The Pirates have thrown a lot of rookies onto the field this year.  In a recent game, 6 of the 9 position players (includes the DH) qualified as rookies when the year began.  And, similar to above, only one of the rookies (our emergency healthy body catchers, either Heineman or Delay at catcher), were long in the tooth.   Castro - 22, Marcano - soon 22, Cruz - 23, Suwinski - 24, Mitchell - 23, Madris - 25/26 (getting up there).  That is a lot of youth, and many younger players struggle when recalled.

3 - Gonzalez is now raking at AA after his return from injury and could be the real deal.  Peguero is young for AA, and Davis is already at AA, although he has dealt with so many injuries it is tough to get a good read.  Although I have never seen him play, and he has not cracked any top 100 prospect lists that I have seen, Endy Rodriguez is putting up fantastic numbers at AA since his promotion.  Yes, all of the above players could fail, but the addition of the above 4 players to the major league roster within the next 12 - 18 months could be a real shot in the arm talent wise.

4 - Although both Hayes and Reynolds are not having the best of years, both, particularly Reynolds, could remain a solid contributor for the next 2 years.

5 - Contrereas looks like the real deal. He could be an anchor to the starting staff.

6 - Kellar and even Brubaker are showing signs of progress, and could be real contributors to the starting rotation.

7 - Admittedly, most of the better minor league pitchers seem a ways away, but it appears that there is hope that some of them can contribute.

8 - Not all players need to be stars, they just need to be contributors.  Even the best teams count on their depth of talent to provide a boost to their star players.  On the Pirates, they particularly will need to rely on the depth of their players.

9 - Bob Nutting isn't just cheap, he rivals Scrooge when it comes to pinching pennies and squezzing nickles.  That said, with so many low cost rookies on the team, perhaps, just perhaps (yes, I do dream now and then) he will authorize spending some real money on a player of two because the overall payroll is so low.

Peguero - SS

Gonzalez - 2nd

Reynolds - CF

Davis - C/1st/DH

Rodriguez - C/1st/DH

Castro or Hayes - 3rd

Suwinski - LF

Mitchell - RF or DH

Reserves

Bae

Swaggerty

Castro

???

The above line-up could (read could) offer a decent mix of folks who can get on base and folks with a bit of sock.

Zoning Ordinances could make one very unpopular. Almost as

much as BOB! :D
maher.timothy20@gm

What a Contrast

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

0C20282F2403342232410 wrote: First, I am not sold on the future, but I will offer my thoughts on why things could be better.

1 - In looking at the Bucs Top 20 prospects, only 2 out of the 20 are getting a bit long in the tooth; Swaggerty at AAA is 25, and Matt Frazier at AA is 24.  Most of the team's highest ranked prospects are 22 or younger, and are playing at or above age appropriate leagues.

2 - The Pirates have thrown a lot of rookies onto the field this year.  In a recent game, 6 of the 9 position players (includes the DH) qualified as rookies when the year began.  And, similar to above, only one of the rookies (our emergency healthy body catchers, either Heineman or Delay at catcher), were long in the tooth.   Castro - 22, Marcano - soon 22, Cruz - 23, Suwinski - 24, Mitchell - 23, Madris - 25/26 (getting up there).  That is a lot of youth, and many younger players struggle when recalled.

3 - Gonzalez is now raking at AA after his return from injury and could be the real deal.  Peguero is young for AA, and Davis is already at AA, although he has dealt with so many injuries it is tough to get a good read.  Although I have never seen him play, and he has not cracked any top 100 prospect lists that I have seen, Endy Rodriguez is putting up fantastic numbers at AA since his promotion.  Yes, all of the above players could fail, but the addition of the above 4 players to the major league roster within the next 12 - 18 months could be a real shot in the arm talent wise.

8 - Not all players need to be stars, they just need to be contributors.  Even the best teams count on their depth of talent to provide a boost to their star players.  On the Pirates, they particularly will need to rely on the depth of their players.

9 - Bob Nutting isn't just cheap, he rivals Scrooge when it comes to pinching pennies and squezzing nickles.  That said, with so many low cost rookies on the team, perhaps, just perhaps (yes, I do dream now and then) he will authorize spending some real money on a player of two because the overall payroll is so low.

Peguero - SS

Gonzalez - 2nd

Reynolds - CF

Davis - C/1st/DH

Rodriguez - C/1st/DH

Castro or Hayes - 3rd

Suwinski - LF

Mitchell - RF or DH

Reserves

Bae

Swaggerty

Castro

???

I buy all that, and I like your point about contributors, but I fear we have nothing but contributors lined up. I don't see a McCutchen or even a Starling Marte in the group. Maybe Cruz will fill that role, I guess we'll see.