Lodolo

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Steve19981

Lodolo

Post by Steve19981 »

4C41407761616D64636C020 wrote:

He's a boom or bust player for sure, but I doubt the Pirates offer that much to a guy they didn't think they had a chance to develop as a starter.

Or he was a reach for a reason, and they dodged a bullet.

I don't think he was a reach at all. Some pundits might, but I was very intrigued by him.

As for $1.75 million, that's not exactly a bullet in terms of baseball spending. If he fails and there is a high probability he or any other prospect does, it's still a risk worth taking. Let's say he ends up developing into a set up man. The Pirates would like recoup that 1.75 million before he hits arbitration.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

32150417045058585950610 wrote:

He's a boom or bust player for sure, but I doubt the Pirates offer that much to a guy they didn't think they had a chance to develop as a starter.

Or he was a reach for a reason, and they dodged a bullet.

I don't think he was a reach at all. Some pundits might, but I was very intrigued by him.

As for $1.75 million, that's not exactly a bullet in terms of baseball spending. If he fails and there is a high probability he or any other prospect does, it's still a risk worth taking. Let's say he ends up developing into a set up man. The Pirates would like recoup that 1.75 million before he hits arbitration.

Thats great, I think you are wrong.

The dodged bullet is wasting their second round pick on a guy that would best fit as a reliever.  Hopefully they draft someone with more upside next time, but I will not hold my breath.

This team refuses to call up players over a few million dollars, and claims that signing David Freese is limiting what they can do at the deadline. Wasting nearly $2 mil on a player most certainly matters to them.