Easter double-header thread.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

4F5F5E697F7F731C0 wrote: I hate to say this, but this sweep doesn't change anything I predicted preseason.  Detroit is bad.  It probably will be worse than the Pirates come September too.

Yes, 3-0 start sound nice.  Let's see how this team plays against relevant teams and it starts tomorrow with Minnesota.

This run output of over 7 runs per isn't sustainable.  The pitching is  a major concern for all and it should be.  Yes, Williams escaped without giving up a run.  Five walks isn't that great.

It's a shame as a Pirates' fan, you claim, that you couldn't enjoy that start to the season.  Sorry to tell you this, but there were more positives than negatives in the first three games. The Tigers also have a $45 million more payroll than the Pirates.

Also, Williams didn't give up a Hit. 

Cool ... didn't give up a hit, but walked 5.  Sorry, I think walking five is a joke in the amount of innings he pitched.

Detroit sucks.  I don't care about the payroll either.  This to me is like the Pens winning the best of three from Buffalo this year.

I don't get into positives when they beat trash.  I get into positives when they beat good teams.  Sorry.

I enjoy seasons that you can see success coming.  I know what's coming down the road. 

Would it have been better had he given up 5 hits and no walks?
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I didn't like the walks but when Williams missed he was missing just off the plate rather than over the middle. If he was missing over the middle, I think he gives up a few runs and the Pirates lose. I don't know how Williams will pitch this year but I am not going to worry about walks in one game when he wasn't particularly sharp with his control.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

61696A7D6B6B67080 wrote: I didn't like the walks but when Williams missed he was missing just off the plate rather than over the middle.  If he was missing over the middle, I think he gives up a few runs and the Pirates lose.  I don't know how Williams will pitch this year but I am not going to worry about walks in one game when he wasn't particularly sharp with his control. 
That's how I see it too. The reason they had no hits off him was because he was effectively painting the corners. The walks were not wildness. Generally, he was just barely missing his spots. Overall, he was very effective. Only 5 base runners in 6 innings with only 1 as far as 2B. When they got a runner on, they couldn't get a hit to advance him. I thought it was an outstanding performance.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

210C01101706115152630 wrote: I didn't like the walks but when Williams missed he was missing just off the plate rather than over the middle.  If he was missing over the middle, I think he gives up a few runs and the Pirates lose.  I don't know how Williams will pitch this year but I am not going to worry about walks in one game when he wasn't particularly sharp with his control. 
That's how I see it too. The reason they had no hits off him was because he was effectively painting the corners. The walks were not wildness. Generally, he was just barely missing his spots. Overall, he was very effective. Only 5 base runners in 6 innings with only 1 as far as 2B. When they got a runner on, they couldn't get a hit to advance him. I thought it was an outstanding performance.

Not only that, but the contact the Tigers got off Williams was soft and uncomfortable for them. No squaring up, not timing the pitch.

If the umpire would have had a smidge better strike zone, Trevor wouldn’t have had the walks and would have added a few k’s.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I thought Williams was effectively wild. Missing low and on the corners like he was doing is not going to allow ideal contact for the hitters. No one got any real good looks against him.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

515850414F350 wrote: I agree on Williams and disagree on Glasnow.   I only saw 1 call he should have gotten and saw 1 he got that he shouldn't have.   It's encouraging that he's able to go 2 innings without exploding.  Unfortunately it wasn't all awesome.   He got squared up twice and walked 2 legitimately in 2IP.   

Polanco made a play he usually doesn't on the 2nd ball hit hard.   He was unable to make the play on the first.   

Small positive steps.  I'm surprised he wasn't left in for the 3 inning save. 

I agree that it is small positive steps - maybe the first real positive steps Glasnow has taken at the major league level, which is why I am encouraged. He definitely has a ways to go still. Way too many of those upper 90s fastballs were in the dirt.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Ha ha
Buccos1313

Post by Buccos1313 »

444D45545A200 wrote: Why do you care, Dog?   You go into fan-attack mode every chance you get.  Those you always criticize are attacking your beloved front office and this organization.   You, in turn, attack them and challenge their "fan qualifications"

What difference does it make to you? What difference does it make to your bros,  Neil and Bob?  You wanna grab some pom-poms and a miniskirt and cheerlead the FO, nobody is stopping you.   

Why not start a "positive FO only" thread?   That can work to isolate you and others from any negatives.   Everyone can only say the things they like or liked about what they're seeing.  Let's do it

Dmetz,

Why not start a "negative FO only" thread?   That can work to isolate you and others from any positives.   Everyone can only say the things they dislike or disliked about what they're seeing.  Let's do it

Easy answer for you.   Because I don't care.

Well, it seems as though you do....
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

The last 5 or your 27 total posts on OBN are made to me about things unrelated to the game, the team, the FO, the owner, the league in general.

Do you want to discuss the game, or do you want to criticize fans?  Do you want to disagree with opinions, form your own, or do you want to just sit in the background and post (inaccurately) to me and about me every couple weeks.

I think NH is among the worst GMs in the game. I think this team is directionless and will lose about 90. Yesterday I bought tickets to a game. Win, and I shall give you my money and support. Lose without really trying to win, and I will not support you or give you money.