Lodolo

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

614746514757240 wrote: I remember a big story on Title IX in the Sporting News.

It was going to destroy college sports according to most athletic directors and sports reporters.

It destroyed some of them.

Football makes it impossible to be equal anyways.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

6E534D404F454E6C4453424445210 wrote: keith law said on twitter that MLB has a scholarship program, so if he wanted to go to school after, it would have been funded.

He either thinks he can improve his draft stock (I'd say there's about a 0% chance he becomes a top 10 pick because that's where he'll need to be in 3 years to make it worth his while to have turned down 1.75M), or he just wanted to go to college and live it up.  I think it was the latter.  I think in terms of quality of life, I think being a college baseball player is better than being in the minor leagues.

With $1.75 mil in your pocket? Doubt it.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

03243526356169696861500 wrote: That sucks.  I thought he was the most intriguing pick they made.

Really?  He seemed like a reach to me.

Silly to pass up over a million dollars to play college baseball.

Even sillier to pass up $1.75.

That said, the kid has the frame and glimpses of stuff that might make you think that he could be an elite college arm. If things break right he has the potential be a number one overall pick.

He projected as a reliever due to his low arm slot and lack of secondary pitches, and he could not keep consistent velocity. He needs a complete overhaul of his mechanics, since it is nearly impossible to throw an effective curve with his arm slot. He was 6'6", that is about all. The Pirates 5th round pick looks like a much better player.

The Pirates probably thought it would be worth overhauling him, but no lock that works.
Ecbucs

Lodolo

Post by Ecbucs »

767B7A4D5B5B575E5956380 wrote: I remember a big story on Title IX in the Sporting News.

It was going to destroy college sports according to most athletic directors and sports reporters.

It destroyed some of them.

Football makes it impossible to be equal anyways.

true, I think wrestling was pretty hard hit although overall it increase number of participants as women's sports are much bigger now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1C3D282119203B283D2C490 wrote: keith law said on twitter that MLB has a scholarship program, so if he wanted to go to school after, it would have been funded.

He either thinks he can improve his draft stock (I'd say there's about a 0% chance he becomes a top 10 pick because that's where he'll need to be in 3 years to make it worth his while to have turned down 1.75M), or he just wanted to go to college and live it up.  I think it was the latter.  I think in terms of quality of life, I think being a college baseball player is better than being in the minor leagues.

I went to an Ogden Raptors game (LA Dodgers rookie league team) the other night and was watching those kids thinking how hard it would be for them. They make so little they have to live with sponsor families. It must be a grind. And long bus trips throughout the Rockies. We were playing Missoula which is about 500 miles from Ogden. College life has to be a whole lot better.

A dozen years ago a friends son was drafted in the third round by the Dodgers. He took the money and spent three years in the minors, then did four years on the MLB scholarship which paid his tuition, books and a living stipend. An accountant now. Can't figure out what LolLol was thinking...

And we signed Austin Shields, who was a late round pick, with what little bonus money we had left. He had to be the fall back plan...

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2016/7/15/121 ... in-shields

When you go to college, you still go through the minors too. It might not be as long, but not many make the jump in the first year out of school.

Why not at least be in the minors with $1.75 million?

Kids just think they are better and can improve their stock.
Jerseykc

Lodolo

Post by Jerseykc »

4C41407761616D64636C020 wrote: College baseball players don't get full scholarships?  Why is it different than other college athletes?

Nope. When it comes to athletic scholarships, there are 2 types of sports -- "head count" and "equivalency."

In "head count" sports, if you're given a scholarship, you get a full ride. Those sports are football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, women's tennis and women's volleyball.

All the other sports (baseball) are "equivalency" sports. A Division I college baseball team is allowed the equivalent of 11.7 full scholarships to spread out over 27 players on the roster. So at a school where it costs $50,000 a year to attend, your first baseman might get $15,000 in scholarship money while your Friday night pitcher might get $35,000. It's exceptionally rare for a college baseball player to get a full ride, though I suppose it's possible.

I saw an interesting story the other day that said the left fielder who made the key play in Coastal Carolina's CWS title-game win will leave school with something like $100,000 in debt.

That's why I said what I said about Lodolo. If you want to take on all that debt, and are confident you'll be able to pay it back with those major league checks you're sure you'll be cashing, hey, lots of luck, pal. I know what I'd choose if my options were a.) $100K in debt or b.) $1.5M right now.

I did not know that.  Kind of weird.  This happens for schools whose sport generates money too? 

It wasn't too long ago when I was in college and many soccer players (both genders) got full rides.

Thanks for the info. 

They still can get full scholarships.

You surely have heard about mens programs being cut because of Title IX.  This is not really new.

One way around the numbers is to offer more sports for women than men. Like Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Gymnastics, and Volleyball. Rutgers, for example, has 9 men's and 13 women's teams
Jerseykc

Lodolo

Post by Jerseykc »

78757443555559505758360 wrote: keith law said on twitter that MLB has a scholarship program, so if he wanted to go to school after, it would have been funded.

With $1.75 mil in your pocket?  Doubt it.

Probably a lot less than $1.75 mil, tax guys love those big bonuses! :D
CTBucco

Lodolo

Post by CTBucco »

6F716772656E060 wrote: Any chance, and I'm just spitballing here- I don't know all the elaborate rules and guidelines, that the Pirates did this on purpose?  They don't like the talent at this slot so they pick an unsignable kid so they get a pick next year and can overspend for lower choices, ultimately saving a little money?  Probably a very risky plan but maybe?
No chance. If they don't sign a top 10 round pick, they lose the assigned slot money ($1.5M+ in this case) to use on others. As someone else suggested, if they wanted money to spend on later round fliers, you'd drastically overdraft a college senior with no leverage, way low-ball them, and then you can use the difference on others. But doing so this early also has the opportunity cost of missing out on a player you rate this highly.
Steve19981

Lodolo

Post by Steve19981 »

69646552444448414649270 wrote: That sucks.  I thought he was the most intriguing pick they made.

That said, the kid has the frame and glimpses of stuff that might make you think that he could be an elite college arm. If things break right he has the potential be a number one overall pick.

He projected as a reliever due to his low arm slot and lack of secondary pitches, and he could not keep consistent velocity.  He needs a complete overhaul of his mechanics, since it is nearly impossible to throw an effective curve with his arm slot.  He was 6'6", that is about all.  The Pirates 5th round pick looks like a much better player.

The Pirates probably thought it would be worth overhauling him, but no lock that works.

He's a boom or bust player for sure, but I doubt the Pirates offer that much to a guy they didn't think they had a chance to develop as a starter.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

6F48594A590D0505040D3C0 wrote: That sucks.  I thought he was the most intriguing pick they made.

He projected as a reliever due to his low arm slot and lack of secondary pitches, and he could not keep consistent velocity.  He needs a complete overhaul of his mechanics, since it is nearly impossible to throw an effective curve with his arm slot.  He was 6'6", that is about all.  The Pirates 5th round pick looks like a much better player.

He's a boom or bust player for sure, but I doubt the Pirates offer that much to a guy they didn't think they had a chance to develop as a starter.

Or he was a reach for a reason, and they dodged a bullet.