8/10 Game Thread - Vogelsong v Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4065646B7E626B64393E0A0 wrote: At least we can blame Vogelsong and the front office for signing him.

We might need to sign him for another season if he keeps it up.

Vogelsong last two starts: 13 innings, 1 ER, 0 run support.

Vogelsong will probably demand to be traded....
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: At least we can blame Vogelsong and the front office for signing him.

He didn't get any hits tonight.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

5F69687F74756F7D5E736F6F1C0 wrote: This team is NOT capable of stringing together 3 good games in a row.

The Phillies series should have been a sweep.

The Reds series should have been a sweep.

The Padres series should be a sweep.

These losses add up fast and just kill a team in the standings.

If the Pirates had just beaten the Reds on Sunday with Cole, and won tonight against EDWIN JACKSON, they would be 0.5 games out with a chance to tie tomorrow.

It's not going to be pretty in LA and SF ... followed by Miami, Houston, at MIL and at the Cubs.

This was the Pirates' chance to make up ground during this 18-game stretch vs. garbage. After tonight we'll be an inexcusable 8-9 vs. the NL dregs. What a blown opportunity.

Like I said, Hurdle will be updating his resume in about 8 weeks...

Hurdle isn't going anywhere. If anything he should put himself in the lineup. Probably hit better than Cutch!
BenM

Post by BenM »

Miami 4-6 in their last ten.

The Mets 4-6. . .

The Cards 4-6. . .

The Pirates 4-6.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

17302125203D02362120203D440 wrote: Embarrassing game and effort tonight knowing that a win tonight gets you 1.5 back of a playoff spot. The Pirates have done this way too many times over this last month. When they need a victory and have some momentum going they play a garbage game like this tonight. I would like to say tomorrow is an important game but don't know if it really is. This team just doesn't have it this season.
Watching this team every day, they just have not looked like a team in any sort of pennant race since the end of May. Even when they won 12 of 15 in June it was only to go from 5 under to 4 over .500 and then they immediately lost 3 in a row and have played .500 ball ever since. There is no energy. No excitement. No drive to win. They can't help that the other teams haven't pulled too far ahead in the WC race but they still appear to be disinterested spectators in that race. The most optimistic fans kept hoping that this weaker part of the schedule would see the Bucs take off and establish themselves as true contenders. Instead, it has revealed that they can't even beat those teams. It should be obvious now that the 98-win Pirates aren't going to show up this year. The FO didn't seem to care before the season began and the players don't seem to care now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

You and the front office knew that McCutchen, Cervelli, Harrison, Kang, Cole, Liriano (and Jaso) would be this bad? Or a lot worse than their norms and 2015?

They cared. These players just didn't perform. Sure, some signings didn't help as they might have thought but no way one can blame the new guys to the 98 win team and say they are the reason why the Pirates aren't in a better position.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

1E28293E35342E3C1F322E2E5D0 wrote: Doesn't excuse it, but I'm pretty sure the Padres have some little tech goblin watching film and looking for opportunities to steal home.  I'm aware of at least three times they've done it in recent years.

They better throw at him tomorrow

Why? For playing good heads up baseball or for exposing the Pirates lack of enthusiasm.

Kid is trying to stick in the majors. Don't blame the hustle for inadaquacies.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: You and the front office knew that McCutchen, Cervelli, Harrison, Kang, Cole, Liriano (and Jaso) would be this bad?  Or a lot worse than their norms and 2015?

They cared.  These players just didn't perform.  Sure, some signings didn't help as they might have thought but no way one can blame the new guys to the 98 win team and say they are the reason why the Pirates aren't in a better position.
No. Me and the FO knew that you don't replace Burnett/Happ and address the much needed upgrade over Morton and Locke with Niese, Vogelsong/Nicasio and Locke. And me and the FO also knew that as much as they needed to upgrade 1B, Jaso was not the guy to do that. Me and the FO knew that the 98-win team fell flat in a WC one and done and that the Cubs were going to be a very tough opponent in 2016. Me and the FO knew that in order to compete, the Pirates were going to have to maintain the talent level of the 2015 team if not improve on it. And me and the FO knew before opening day that that didn't happen. Dog, you can apologize for the FO til the cows come home but you've got your head buried securely in the sand.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am not apologizing for the front office. I didn't like the structure of the pitching staff. I understood their plan. It almost worked too.

The main reason the team is underperforming are the players I mentioned. You, me, the front office didn't see that coming. You can blame the Nicasio experiment and the Vogelsong signing (Morton had to go too), but you have to realize that is not the reason the Pirates are outside the wild card right now.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

486F64470A0 wrote: Miami 4-6 in their last ten.

The Mets 4-6. . .

The Cards 4-6. . .

The Pirates 4-6.

Indeed, what a cesspool of mediocrity the NL is this year.   :-/