Glasnow versus Cubs 4/26 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Are the umps squeezing him, or is he all over the place?
mouse

Post by mouse »

From what I could see, he was all over the place. A lot of outside pitches to left handed hitters. He seemed to be having trouble with his fastball. His curve seemed pretty good.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

In one start he was squeezed, at least comparatively speaking in looking at the pitch tracker. He also misses his spots a lot making it easy for an ump to not give him the benefit of the doubt. I think once he gets more consistent, he will get close calls more consistently. It is kind of a vicious circle for him right now.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This was the first win that didn't occur on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

On the plus side, Josh Bell made several good plays at first yesterday. Yes, his throw home didn't look great but it was short enough that it bounced right to Cervelli.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

757D7E697F7F731C0 wrote: On the plus side, Josh Bell made several good plays at first yesterday.  Yes, his throw home didn't look great but it was short enough that it bounced right to Cervelli. 

It was the first game Bell was tested at 1B. He made the plays on all three hard hit balls (really hard hit).

Then he hit a HR and was pulled. Jaso made a nice scoop on Rivero's great slide play. I wish Bell was in there. I watch a lot and haven't seen him make one scoop at first yet.

Bell deserved a star of the game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

545F575B5E5F440107704951585F5F1E535F300 wrote: On the plus side, Josh Bell made several good plays at first yesterday.  Yes, his throw home didn't look great but it was short enough that it bounced right to Cervelli. 
It was the first game Bell was tested at 1B.  He made the plays on all three hard hit balls (really hard hit). 

Then he hit a HR and was pulled.  Jaso made a nice scoop on Rivero's great slide play.  I wish Bell was in there.  I watch a lot and haven't seen him make one scoop at first yet.

Bell deserved a star of the game.
Bell has done nothing to warrant being pulled for defense. He looks fine.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I agree about Bell's defense. I also thought he wasn't really tested either. He still looks awkward at times, but he is making the plays. I don't care if he gets his body low on low throws as long as he catches it (he like squats at times, unlike others).

I loved there was no hesitation on that play at the plate. He spun and went home, no second guessing.

I do think Jaso is better on defense at 1B. But Bell is the better overall player and needs to stay in the line up.

Hanson was put in RF, not Harrison. Little unusual.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

If the Bucs' can accept Polanco's awkwardness and bad glove in left in return for his bat (which has yet to deliver), they surely should accept Bell staying in the game at 1st. Jaso is a better first baseman, but he is no all-star defensively, and he isn't hitting a lick.

Polanco continues to underwhelm in the field. I know it is only 20 games or so into the season, but I would strongly consider moving him back to RF where he seems more comfortable (and perhaps may hit better), even though the team now lacks a true left-fielder. May particularly be an appropriate time because of the number of road games coming up. I would go with some combo on Frazier and Osuna (can't believe I'm typing this) in LF.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Polanco wasn't awarded an error either. The ball hit his glove. Who does the official scoring anymore? Pitchers should start complaining about their earned runs.

I agree about moving Polanco to RF. I thought McCutchen should have been moved to LF over Polanco.

Hopefully, an outfielder will be brought in and they can be lined up that best helps the team.