What is going on?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

What is going on?

Post by PMike »

I think they need one good/great starter and then let the pieces fall out.

Cole

Carrasco, Gioito (if Washington rumors moved forward), Archer, etc.

Taillon

Kuhl

Glasnow

Extras: Brault, Williams, Hutchison, Nicasio.

Wild card: Kingham...Why is no one including him? He was pitching again before the end of the season. He should hit the ground running for ST. He was pretty much ready for the majors before TJ. He shouldn't need much time in the minors. All accounts have his velocity and command back to where he was pre-TJ.
rucker59@gmail.com

What is going on?

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I have to disagree with Dog and PMike - most teams don't have the potential of this Pirates team.

You hope pieces fall into place when you have no extraordinary expectations. Teams that believe they have a chance to win a penant try to shore up areas of concern. If the Pirates only bring in one legit starter then they're not truly trying to win a penant.

And in any event, the last I saw of Cole I think it's pretty hard to go into this season trusting in some idea that we have a solid 3/5 of a rotation. Tallion I feel very good about. Both Cole and Kuhl have legit questions. I like both but I'm not prepared to say we're locked in with 3 solid starters.
Quail

What is going on?

Post by Quail »

677A5E5C52370 wrote: I think they need one good/great starter and then let the pieces fall out.

Cole

Carrasco, Gioito (if Washington rumors moved forward), Archer, etc.

Taillon

Kuhl

Glasnow

Extras: Brault, Williams, Hutchison, Nicasio.

Wild card: Kingham...Why is no one including him?  He was pitching again before the end of the season.  He should hit the ground running for ST.  He was pretty much ready for the majors before TJ.  He shouldn't need much time in the minors.  All accounts have his velocity and command back to where he was pre-TJ.

I'm in agreement with everything here. There is a glaring need for a quality starting pitcher to add to what the Pirates have right now. Not some questionable reclamation project or free agent innings-eater but a guy who can legitimately slot into a #1 or #2 spot in this rotation. Can NH pull off a trade for such a pitcher? Is this even on his acquisition radar? I guess we'll find out.

I'm also optimistic about the return of Kingham. If his injury problems are behind him he could be a great addition. IIRC he was ahead of Taillon in terms of his development before his TJ surgery.
RichD

What is going on?

Post by RichD »

I wonder if we are shopping Cervelli ?

Seems like we could get a nice haul for him.

And just roll with Diaz /Stewart combo.
LumberCo

What is going on?

Post by LumberCo »

starting to think about finding a new team to root for, just can't expect to win with Bob Nutting owning this team. if you can't spend around the middle of the league average then sell the damn team!!!
rucker59@gmail.com

What is going on?

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7E475F505740715D320 wrote: starting to think about finding a new team to root for, just can't expect to win with Bob Nutting owning this team.  if you can't spend around the middle of the league average then sell the damn team!!!

He needs to sell - he's going to destroy much of the increase in value that he helped create.
SCBucco

What is going on?

Post by SCBucco »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: But you have to assume that at least one of your guys just isn't going to work out that well.  You're leaving zero margin for error.  I think Kuhl (for example) should probably start in the rotation but he is no guarantee.  If that happens where are we? 

(On a side note, one thing I'm grateful for about last season--I'm pretty sure that it put toan end to the accusations that guys like Glasnow actually are ready for the big leagues from the start of the year or super two time, but the Pirates are lying about it for some mysterious under-explored reason.)

Yeah, I know in an ideal world the starting four will get 30 starts each.  Chances that happen is very rare.  The 2016 Pirates only had two guys start more than 20 games (21 each to be exact). 

Not many teams have three solid starters, yet four.  The Pirates have young guys who can be average to fill in for injuries and the fifth spot.  I am not saying I don't want two starters, but one is needed for sure.

Williams, Brault, Hutchison are three guys who will battle for that fifth spot.  Nicasio is around to spot start if he is stretched out.  Then there is Glasnow ready to be called up at the super 2 deadline.

Cole, Taillon, Kulh, New Starter, Hutchison, Williams, Brault, and Glasnow is a good start.  Eight players with some exposure.  Then there will always be some others guys brought in given a chance or a minor leaguer who gets a chance too. 

That is at least my thinking.  If two starters happen, great.  But they better get one for sure.

Cole, fine ... Taillon, fine ... Hutchinson (vomit) ... Williams (not sold) ... Brault (not sold).  Kuhl is a solid five to me.  Glasnow isn't ready.  He needs to spend some time at AAA to get ready.

We need a three and a four IMO.  The options you trot out do not move the needle to me for a competitive team.
SCBucco

What is going on?

Post by SCBucco »

616670787661262A53747E727A7F3D707C7E130 wrote: I have to disagree with Dog and PMike - most teams don't have the potential of this Pirates team. 

You hope pieces fall into place when you have no extraordinary expectations.   Teams that believe they have a chance to win a penant try to shore up areas of concern.  If the Pirates only bring in one legit starter then they're not truly trying to win a penant. 

And in any event, the last I saw of Cole I think it's pretty hard to go into this season trusting in some idea that we have a solid 3/5 of a rotation.  Tallion I feel very good about.  Both Cole and Kuhl have legit questions.  I like both but I'm not prepared to say we're locked in with 3 solid starters. 

Potential is a word that gets more coaches and GMs fired, not hired. It's the kiss of death. We have some serious holes in the lineup/rotation and we have a cheap owner who it appears wants to sell off players to save money and replace them with reclamation projects and prospects. I don't see much positive as far as the tone of this offseason.
sdimmick3

What is going on?

Post by sdimmick3 »

Cutch for Joe Ross and a few lower level minors guys with high upside....solves the pitching issue and they can plug Giolito in their rotation.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

What is going on?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7262635442424E210 wrote: I have to disagree with Dog and PMike - most teams don't have the potential of this Pirates team. 

You hope pieces fall into place when you have no extraordinary expectations.   Teams that believe they have a chance to win a penant try to shore up areas of concern.  If the Pirates only bring in one legit starter then they're not truly trying to win a penant. 

And in any event, the last I saw of Cole I think it's pretty hard to go into this season trusting in some idea that we have a solid 3/5 of a rotation.  Tallion I feel very good about.  Both Cole and Kuhl have legit questions.  I like both but I'm not prepared to say we're locked in with 3 solid starters. 

Potential is a word that gets more coaches and GMs fired, not hired.  It's the kiss of death.  We have some serious holes in the lineup/rotation and we have a cheap owner who it appears wants to sell off players to save money and replace them with reclamation projects and prospects.  I don't see much positive as far as the tone of this offseason.

What are the holes in the line up?  Harrison is probably the weakest player but he is owed $17 million the next two years with team options that could go up to $38 million over four years.