Lodolo

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iwatch

Lodolo

Post by iwatch »

Any chance, and I'm just spitballing here- I don't know all the elaborate rules and guidelines, that the Pirates did this on purpose? They don't like the talent at this slot so they pick an unsignable kid so they get a pick next year and can overspend for lower choices, ultimately saving a little money? Probably a very risky plan but maybe?
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

697761746368000 wrote: Any chance, and I'm just spitballing here- I don't know all the elaborate rules and guidelines, that the Pirates did this on purpose?  They don't like the talent at this slot so they pick an unsignable kid so they get a pick next year and can overspend for lower choices, ultimately saving a little money?  Probably a very risky plan but maybe?

It is possible they took him and only planned to offer a certain amount. I doubt they picked him and had no plans to sign him.

I do not know why saving money in the draft would be a good thing. They need to add talent. The slot for the pick next year would actually cost more.

If they wanted to overspend for other players, they should have picked a player that would agree to a bonus well below slot.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

College baseball players don't get full scholarships? Why is it different than other college athletes?

I think Appel not singing with the Pirates was based on money. But "people" are saying it is not. But they never said the "real" reason if that is true.

I don't blame the Pirates for taking Appel or Lodolo. If they were better they would have been picked higher. Slotting now really determines how much you get. Sucks for small market teams, but players can't make their demands anymore.
UtahPirate

Lodolo

Post by UtahPirate »

5B50585451504B0E087F465E575050115C503F0 wrote: College baseball players don't get full scholarships?  Why is it different than other college athletes?

I think Appel not singing with the Pirates was based on money.  But "people" are saying it is not.  But they never said the "real" reason if that is true. 

I don't blame the Pirates for taking Appel or Lodolo.  If they were better they would have been picked higher.  Slotting now really determines how much you get.  Sucks for small market teams, but players can't make their demands anymore. 

With Title IX universities have to match their scholarships between men's and women's sports. Since football gobbles up so many men's scholarships (usually 80) other men's sports (besides basketball) are not given as many. Then most women's sports --particularly basketball, volleyball and soccer -- have full scholarships in order to get the numbers to match. Baseball only gets a few and Title IX killed men's wrestling programs when it was instituted.
BucAndEer

Lodolo

Post by BucAndEer »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote: College baseball players don't get full scholarships?  Why is it different than other college athletes?

Nope. When it comes to athletic scholarships, there are 2 types of sports -- "head count" and "equivalency."

In "head count" sports, if you're given a scholarship, you get a full ride. Those sports are football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, women's tennis and women's volleyball.

All the other sports (baseball) are "equivalency" sports. A Division I college baseball team is allowed the equivalent of 11.7 full scholarships to spread out over 27 players on the roster. So at a school where it costs $50,000 a year to attend, your first baseman might get $15,000 in scholarship money while your Friday night pitcher might get $35,000. It's exceptionally rare for a college baseball player to get a full ride, though I suppose it's possible.

I saw an interesting story the other day that said the left fielder who made the key play in Coastal Carolina's CWS title-game win will leave school with something like $100,000 in debt.

That's why I said what I said about Lodolo. If you want to take on all that debt, and are confident you'll be able to pay it back with those major league checks you're sure you'll be cashing, hey, lots of luck, pal. I know what I'd choose if my options were a.) $100K in debt or b.) $1.5M right now.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote: College baseball players don't get full scholarships?  Why is it different than other college athletes?

I think Appel not singing with the Pirates was based on money.  But "people" are saying it is not.  But they never said the "real" reason if that is true. 

I don't blame the Pirates for taking Appel or Lodolo.  If they were better they would have been picked higher.  Slotting now really determines how much you get.  Sucks for small market teams, but players can't make their demands anymore. 

No, not even close to a full scholarship in many cases. They can award 11.7 scholarships per year, and 27 players can be scholarship players.  Some players, like say Gerrit Cole, probably got close to a full scholarship.  So clearly the math does not add up.  Some schools, like Vanderbilt, can get around this with grants, which is how Pedro Alvarez was able to play there.

The reason is Title IX and football. 

No clue who these "people" are, but Appel is not a Pirate for one reason, and one reason only.  Money.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

112630123D37163621530 wrote: College baseball players don't get full scholarships?  Why is it different than other college athletes?

Nope. When it comes to athletic scholarships, there are 2 types of sports -- "head count" and "equivalency."

In "head count" sports, if you're given a scholarship, you get a full ride. Those sports are football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, women's tennis and women's volleyball.

All the other sports (baseball) are "equivalency" sports. A Division I college baseball team is allowed the equivalent of 11.7 full scholarships to spread out over 27 players on the roster. So at a school where it costs $50,000 a year to attend, your first baseman might get $15,000 in scholarship money while your Friday night pitcher might get $35,000. It's exceptionally rare for a college baseball player to get a full ride, though I suppose it's possible.

I saw an interesting story the other day that said the left fielder who made the key play in Coastal Carolina's CWS title-game win will leave school with something like $100,000 in debt.

That's why I said what I said about Lodolo. If you want to take on all that debt, and are confident you'll be able to pay it back with those major league checks you're sure you'll be cashing, hey, lots of luck, pal. I know what I'd choose if my options were a.) $100K in debt or b.) $1.5M right now.

Does not really apply to Lodolo obviously, but some guys like the CCU player might be getting into college because of baseball, and may not have been able to otherwise. So, yes he is in debt like every other college kid, but he does have an education.

All Title IX related, and because of football getting 85 scholarships.
ScottinMass

Lodolo

Post by ScottinMass »

It's now being reported that the Pirates offered Lodolo everything they had left (appx $1.75-$1.76M). Oh well, enjoy TCU.

Pirates did sign Austin Shields though who seems to be a nice gamble. 18 y.o. who is 6'5" with promising arm strength, and has touched 94 in the past.
NCBuccofan

Lodolo

Post by NCBuccofan »

04343823233E391A362424570 wrote: It's now being reported that the Pirates offered Lodolo everything they had left (appx $1.75-$1.76M). Oh well, enjoy TCU.

Pirates did sign Austin Shields though who seems to be a nice gamble. 18 y.o. who is 6'5" with promising arm strength, and has touched 94 in the past.

That is crazy. Good luck to him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Lodolo

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

645345674842634354260 wrote: College baseball players don't get full scholarships?  Why is it different than other college athletes?

I did not know that. Kind of weird. This happens for schools whose sport generates money too?

It wasn't too long ago when I was in college and many soccer players (both genders) got full rides.

Thanks for the info.