Kingham

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Kingham

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Hanson is replicating his 2015 in Indy, and that's not good. I'm not sure if currently has much trade value, or any chance of beating Harrison for the 2B job next year.

I'm hoping that McCutchen keeps up this strong play to close out the year so that his trade value is strong. When trading McCutchen, there's the added benefit of swapping that salary out, so there wouldn't be reservations about adding an expensive player in return. There are plenty of internal options that would be able to hold down an outfield spot until Meadows is ready.
ChitownBucco

Kingham

Post by ChitownBucco »

301400080D610 wrote: It's hard to imagine the Pirates paying for one of those FA pitchers.  Hellickson is the only possibility IMO.

More likely is that they use their "financial flexibility" to try and trade for a pitcher.  After reading an article about the September call ups, I have been thinking about Hanson.  There is really no place for him next year (between he and Frazier and Moroff).  Hanson probably has the highest trade value.  He'd be a guy I'd center a trade around for a pitcher. 

I agree about Hanson.  I also wonder if Heredia has any value just because he is young. 

Harrison is the only current player I can see dealt.  That is an option if a team needs a second baseman (Mets trade last year).

I think the Pirates may decide that Hanson is ready to replace Harrison. I suspect they're not excited about Frazier's defense at 2B, and see him much more as a utility guy. Moroff would slot into the Pirates 'development criteria' as a year of 'seasoning' behind Hanson.

Hanson's offensive and defensive stats at AAA the past two seasons are remarkably consistent and look very much like Harrison's MLB numbers this year. IMO the ever budget conscious Pirates will be more likely to deal JHay if they go the trade route for a starting pitcher. Hanson will provide them with a replacement that isn't much different in terms of production and will be cheaper.

Does Luis Heredia need protected on the 40 man roster this year? I can remember if those signed before 18 get 6 or 7 years milb control.

In any case I can't see them putting him on the 40 man this year. Had a decent year overall but struggling lately and just a bull pen arm
Bobster21

Kingham

Post by Bobster21 »

6558464B444E45674F58494F4E2A0 wrote: Hanson is replicating his 2015 in Indy, and that's not good.  I'm not sure if currently has much trade value, or any chance of beating Harrison for the 2B job next year.

I'm hoping that McCutchen keeps up this strong play to close out the year so that his trade value is strong.   When trading McCutchen, there's the added benefit of swapping that salary out, so there wouldn't be reservations about adding an expensive player in return.  There are plenty of internal options that would be able to hold down an outfield spot until Meadows is ready.
I don't see them replacing Harrison with Hanson next year. Hanson's AAA stats are unimpressive. While they are similar to Harrison's MLB stats this year, Harrison was a much better hitter in the minors than Hanson is. I doubt they would expect Hanson to hit as well in MLB as he does in AAA. They could possibly go with Frazier at 2B if they think his defense can improve.

I also don't think they'll spend much on any FA including pitchers. They've got a lot of young, minimum salaried pitchers for the rotation next year who will probably be better than any reclamation project they could bring in. If the pitching holds up next year and Bell provides offense at 1B, they should be good without spending additional money. So they may not mind paying Harrison and waiting to see if he has a better year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kingham

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Frazier's problems at 2B is mental or just being unaware. Like, he doesn't know what to do. That can be taught. Not sure how he made it this far not knowing what to do or where he should be.
ScottinMass

Kingham

Post by ScottinMass »

476A67767160773734050 wrote: Hanson is replicating his 2015 in Indy, and that's not good.  I'm not sure if currently has much trade value, or any chance of beating Harrison for the 2B job next year.

I'm hoping that McCutchen keeps up this strong play to close out the year so that his trade value is strong.   When trading McCutchen, there's the added benefit of swapping that salary out, so there wouldn't be reservations about adding an expensive player in return.  There are plenty of internal options that would be able to hold down an outfield spot until Meadows is ready.
I don't see them replacing Harrison with Hanson next year. Hanson's AAA stats are unimpressive. While they are similar to Harrison's MLB stats this year, Harrison was a much better hitter in the minors than Hanson is. I doubt they would expect Hanson to hit as well in MLB as he does in AAA. They could possibly go with Frazier at 2B if they think his defense can improve.

I also don't think they'll spend much on any FA including pitchers. They've got a lot of young, minimum salaried pitchers for the rotation next year who will probably be better than any reclamation project they could bring in. If the pitching holds up next year and Bell provides offense at 1B, they should be good without spending additional money. So they may not mind paying Harrison and waiting to see if he has a better year. 

Harrison MiLB career: .305/.355/.432/.788

Hanson MiLB career: .281/.339/.434/.773

So yes, Harrison does have a better MiLB slash line, but I'm not sure he was a "much better hitter in the minors" than Hanson.

Josh made his Major League debut at the age of 24, started playing on a regular basis at age 25. Hanson is still 23 until October.

I'm not advocating for Hanson over Harrison, just looking at the numbers.
PMike

Kingham

Post by PMike »

4F7F7368687572517D6F6F1C0 wrote: Hanson is replicating his 2015 in Indy, and that's not good.  I'm not sure if currently has much trade value, or any chance of beating Harrison for the 2B job next year.

So yes, Harrison does have a better MiLB slash line, but I'm not sure he was a "much better hitter in the minors" than Hanson.

Josh made his Major League debut at the age of 24, started playing on a regular basis at age 25. Hanson is still 23 until October.

Those are really good stats. Thanks.

Personally, I think that validates Hanson even more. Harrison has been a very productive major leaguer. OTOH, people didn't think much of Harrison as a minor leaguer/prospect. He had to have injuries happen to get a shot.
Bobster21

Kingham

Post by Bobster21 »

17272B30302D2A09253737440 wrote: Hanson is replicating his 2015 in Indy, and that's not good.  I'm not sure if currently has much trade value, or any chance of beating Harrison for the 2B job next year.

I should have been more specific. I was looking at their AAA stats. In AAA:

Harrison: .304/.360/.470

Hansen : .264/.314/.381

I think that's a significant difference.
Quail

Kingham

Post by Quail »

FWIW I don't believe Hanson will be able to be as productive a player either immediately or even long term as Harrison. He's essentially been the same player for the past two seasons at AAA and as Orlando Merced said "...that's not good." It would appear to be either stagnation or a topping out.

For that reason I don't think he'd be valued as a centerpiece for a trade involving a MLB ready starting pitcher. Harrison on the other hand might be a trade chip that could get negotiations rolling. With good middle infield prospects Kevin Newman and Cole Tucker progressing the Pirates might see Hanson as providing an inexpensive temporary bridge to one of those players.

Actually I like Harrison for what he provides in the way of defense, speed and energy and don't want to see him traded. If the Pirates can get another team interested enough in Hanson to pull off a deal for a starting pitcher I'd be delighted as he's become superfluous depth in our system with potentially better players on the way.
Bobster21

Kingham

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't think they could get much of a starting pitcher if Hanson was the key player being offered.
DemDog

Kingham

Post by DemDog »

ChitownBucco,

Heredia is Rule 5 eligible for the second consecutive year. He was available last season but no takers.