Alex Cobb?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SpeedyG

Alex Cobb?

Post by SpeedyG »

I'd go after Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb. Cobb would be first on my list, but any one would slot into the top half of our rotation and be a nice 1-2 punch with Taillon.

It is an odd offseason for free agents that are at or near their age 30 seasons. If the Pirates can take advantage of that to upgrade their rotation at a potentially decent price point compared to prior years, then they definitely should.
sdimmick3

Alex Cobb?

Post by sdimmick3 »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: I don't see a need to bring in a another pitcher.  I would rather have the young guys play to see what they can do.  They all need a chance eventually.

Cobb would probably be one of team's best pitcher.  I wanted him last year and the year before.  Going forward, I am hoping the current guys are even better than what Cobb would provide.

Among Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Musgrove, Brault, Glasnow, Kingham, Holmes, and Eppler some have to pan out.  Then you have bigger prospects down the road in Keller and Baz.  The Pirates also have a bunch of 23-25 year olds in the Double A and Triple A who might be fillers now, but could also make some kind of impact. 

Dog, if you think he would be one of the teams best pitchers, i assume you mean not better than Taillon, so why wouldnt you ant him? It would be an upgrade no doubt. I think Cobb makes a bigger impact than Brault, Glasnow, Musgrove, Nova, and Williams. You dont block 4-5 type starters with a legit #2-3, atleast on this team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6A7D707474707A722A190 wrote: I don't see a need to bring in a another pitcher.  I would rather have the young guys play to see what they can do.  They all need a chance eventually.

Cobb would probably be one of team's best pitcher.  I wanted him last year and the year before.  Going forward, I am hoping the current guys are even better than what Cobb would provide.

Among Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Musgrove, Brault, Glasnow, Kingham, Holmes, and Eppler some have to pan out.  Then you have bigger prospects down the road in Keller and Baz.  The Pirates also have a bunch of 23-25 year olds in the Double A and Triple A who might be fillers now, but could also make some kind of impact. 

Dog, if you think he would be one of the teams best pitchers, i assume you mean not better than Taillon, so why wouldnt you ant him?  It would be an upgrade no doubt.  I think Cobb makes a bigger impact than Brault, Glasnow, Musgrove, Nova, and Williams.  You dont block 4-5 type starters with a legit #2-3, atleast on this team.

Like I said, I feel the current guys can be as good or better than Cobb down the road. He isn't worth the cost for the near production the others guys I mentioned can provide.
SammyKhalifa

Alex Cobb?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: I don't see a need to bring in a another pitcher.  I would rather have the young guys play to see what they can do.  They all need a chance eventually.

Dog, if you think he would be one of the teams best pitchers, i assume you mean not better than Taillon, so why wouldnt you ant him?  It would be an upgrade no doubt.  I think Cobb makes a bigger impact than Brault, Glasnow, Musgrove, Nova, and Williams.  You dont block 4-5 type starters with a legit #2-3, atleast on this team.

Like I said, I feel the current guys can be as good or better than Cobb down the road.  He isn't worth the cost for the near production the others guys I mentioned can provide.

I'd get him. For once it'd be nice to have more pitchers than we need.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

I think 8-10 pitchers could get starts this year if the injury bug hits or with some weird days off. And they are all pretty young guys we aren't really sure about. I am not down on the starting pitching like some. Half of these guys can easily pan out.
sdimmick3

Alex Cobb?

Post by sdimmick3 »

i think they need one more guy that can put them into a better position than the rest of these guys....we need to stop relying on some of these guys and get some guys that are proven IMO.
SCBucco

Alex Cobb?

Post by SCBucco »

5D4A474343474D451D2E0 wrote: i think they need one more guy that can put them into a better position than the rest of these guys....we need to stop relying on some of these guys and get some guys that are proven IMO.

A bunch of the names Dog put down, we have been waiting for. Kingham? Is he ever going to get it? I doubt it. Some of the names he mentioned AREN'T starter types in MLB. As I mentioned, everyone in the starting rotation is pitching at least one spot ahead of where they should be, some being two. Get a Cobb, and if you put him at two, then Nova and crew are slotted more appropriately.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

If you get Cobb, who are you bumping from the rotation?

There is too much emphasis put on the slotting of pitchers 1-5.
SammyKhalifa

Alex Cobb?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6368606C6968733630477E666F6868296468070 wrote: If you get Cobb, who are you bumping from the rotation?

There's lots of time before Opening Day. He's probably better than at least three guys we have slotted in there.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Alex Cobb?

Cobb would probably be the best starter if signed. Maybe Taillon would be better. Maybe.

With that said, he would block some of the young guys if signed. I would rather give guys like Williams, Musgrove, Kuhl, Glasnow, Kingham, Brault, Holmes a chance to see what they can do than signing Cobb. It's a rebuilding year. These guys need to a shot and maybe they will be even better than Cobb down the road. Their cost would be worth it too.

I like Cobb. He proved he is/was healthy in 2017. I have no idea why he was not signed. His demands should be under $10 million, right? It's been a weird market this year.