Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Rivero

Post by JollyRoger »

Rivero has electric stuff. Definitely a win win trade for both teams
steve49

Rivero

Post by steve49 »

6146574457030B0B0A03320 wrote: Add Taylor Hearn to the trade and right now it looks like a successful trade for the Bucs. If both pitchers continue to develop and avoid major arm injuries looks like a win win trade.

I thought Hearn was the main piece in this deal. 

The Radio Shows kept saying salary dump all day when Melancon was traded.  Of course, they knew nothing about the two players in return as they kept reading off Rivero's ERA.

I didn't know either, but I would wait until I saw the guys pitch or heard from the GM before being an on-air radio expert.

I don't know how anyone could call it a salary dump. The Pirates actually eight salary to make it happen.

As for the centerpiece, it was Rivero. A young reliever with upside, control and proof that he can actually can it done in majors is going to have more trade value than a C+ prospect. I like Hearn, a lot, but Rivero is the primary return IMO.

Maybe Dog heard the radio station calling the other deal a "salary dump" and misunderstood ? As you say this one was not a salary dump ... while the other deal no doubt was.
steve49

Rivero

Post by steve49 »

4163706D6E6B6C63407761616D020 wrote: Rivero's first 7 appearances with the Pirates:

* 7 IP

* 13 Ks

* 0.00 ERA

He's pretty good.

If the Pirates can win each game in which Melancon would have entered with a save opportunity (and so far they have), then this trade will be good for the Pirates both short-term and long-term. Because it looks like Rivero has an electric arm.

The other dude is also very nasty. 13K's in last 5 2/3rds.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rivero

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

484F5E4D5E0F023B0 wrote: Add Taylor Hearn to the trade and right now it looks like a successful trade for the Bucs. If both pitchers continue to develop and avoid major arm injuries looks like a win win trade.

I thought Hearn was the main piece in this deal. 

The Radio Shows kept saying salary dump all day when Melancon was traded.  Of course, they knew nothing about the two players in return as they kept reading off Rivero's ERA.

I didn't know either, but I would wait until I saw the guys pitch or heard from the GM before being an on-air radio expert.

I don't know how anyone could call it a salary dump. The Pirates actually eight salary to make it happen.

As for the centerpiece, it was Rivero. A young reliever with upside, control and proof that he can actually can it done in majors is going to have more trade value than a C+ prospect. I like Hearn, a lot, but Rivero is the primary return IMO.

Maybe Dog heard the radio station calling the other deal a "salary dump" and misunderstood ? As you say this one was not a salary dump ... while the other deal no doubt was.

I understood the move. The radio shows did not (The Fan mostly). Made fun of the Owners for trading in a pennant race to save a dollar. Callers called in and agreed too.

I loved the trade once I saw Rivero pitch and read about Hearn. With Watson, it was a no brainer. I just didn't like making a team they are competing against stronger.
rucker59@gmail.com

Rivero

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6F5D51514577545D50555A5D3C0 wrote: The full impact of the trade has to include Watson in the 9th.  He's blown 1 save and was a bit rocky early. 

But so has Melancon, right?

Yep.  Tony now has 5 saves.  1 blown.  Mark at 7 saves, 1 blown.  Each has won the game they've blown. 

I like Watson a lot.  he's struggled a bit this year compared to his past domination.  It seems that the WHIP in the backend has increased a material amount since the trade, but that's just a gut feeling, maybe I'm wrong. The real bottom line is that the pen definitely seems better since the trade notwithstanding some increase in base runners.

I did not like this trade, it just seemed counter intuitive to a playoff run. But it's looking like a good trade, for both teams. Rivero gives up too many walks (SSS) but his stuff is wicked - I was wrong on this trade (imagine that...). Neal has improved the pen for this year and next.
iabucco

Rivero

Post by iabucco »

This and moving Nicasio to the pen has really improved the relief core. I say that after Melancon just got an easy save with a 4 pitch inning last night and Tony struggling. Of course, Mark seemed to struggle a bit when he was brought in in non-save situations.
SammyKhalifa

Rivero

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2F283E36382F68641D3A303C3431733E32305D0 wrote: The full impact of the trade has to include Watson in the 9th.  He's blown 1 save and was a bit rocky early. 

But so has Melancon, right?

Yep.  Tony now has 5 saves.  1 blown.  Mark at 7 saves, 1 blown.  Each has won the game they've blown. 

I like Watson a lot.  he's struggled a bit this year compared to his past domination.  It seems that the WHIP in the backend has increased a material amount since the trade, but that's just a gut feeling, maybe I'm wrong. The real bottom line is that the pen definitely seems better since the trade notwithstanding some increase in base runners.

I did not like this trade, it just seemed counter intuitive to a playoff run.  But it's looking like a good trade, for both teams.  Rivero gives up too many walks (SSS) but his stuff is wicked - I was wrong on this trade (imagine that...).  Neal has improved the pen for this year and next.

When the trade was made I was more worried about bullpen depth than the back end or the closers role. It's looked as solid as ever after being wobbly all year.

Though I'd add that Bastardo is excruciating to watch pitch. Not the results as much as the process. Throw the ball already! Heh.
ChitownBucco

Rivero

Post by ChitownBucco »

Bump?