CarolinaBucco

Rivero

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Rivero's first 7 appearances with the Pirates:

* 7 IP

* 13 Ks

* 0.00 ERA

He's pretty good.

If the Pirates can win each game in which Melancon would have entered with a save opportunity (and so far they have), then this trade will be good for the Pirates both short-term and long-term. Because it looks like Rivero has an electric arm.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rivero

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree.

Once I saw him pitch, I thought that was a great trade. He looks good and has nasty stuff.

Have the radio shows noticed yet? They sure blasted the Owners for trading away Melancon.
fjk090852-7

Rivero

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Add Taylor Hearn to the trade and right now it looks like a successful trade for the Bucs. If both pitchers continue to develop and avoid major arm injuries looks like a win win trade.
iabucco

Rivero

Post by iabucco »

I think this was a good trade. We had a little too much handwringing going on but it made sense. I think this also was a good trade for the Nats, too. There is nothing wrong with a trade that helps both teams. Unfortunately for the Pirates, I think Melancon is under-rated in mlb. He has been extremely good for three years but because he doesn't have a huge fastball or huge k rate he isn't viewed as a top closer. That view is what kept the Pirates from really cleaning up.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rivero

575B5A0108010904031C06310 wrote: Add Taylor Hearn to the trade and right now it looks like a successful trade for the Bucs. If both pitchers continue to develop and avoid major arm injuries looks like a win win trade.

I thought Hearn was the main piece in this deal.

The Radio Shows kept saying salary dump all day when Melancon was traded. Of course, they knew nothing about the two players in return as they kept reading off Rivero's ERA.

I didn't know either, but I would wait until I saw the guys pitch or heard from the GM before being an on-air radio expert.
rucker59@gmail.com

Rivero

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The full impact of the trade has to include Watson in the 9th. He's blown 1 save and was a bit rocky early. I think he'll be fine but bottom line is the Pirates can't lose any games in the 8th or 9th.

Rivero has had quite a few base runners, especially walks. But I'm thinking this guy has the potential to be a wicked closer.
SammyKhalifa

Rivero

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3235232B2532757900272D21292C6E232F2D400 wrote: The full impact of the trade has to include Watson in the 9th.  He's blown 1 save and was a bit rocky early. 

But so has Melancon, right?
Steve19981

Rivero

Post by Steve19981 »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: Add Taylor Hearn to the trade and right now it looks like a successful trade for the Bucs. If both pitchers continue to develop and avoid major arm injuries looks like a win win trade.

I thought Hearn was the main piece in this deal. 

The Radio Shows kept saying salary dump all day when Melancon was traded.  Of course, they knew nothing about the two players in return as they kept reading off Rivero's ERA.

I didn't know either, but I would wait until I saw the guys pitch or heard from the GM before being an on-air radio expert.

I don't know how anyone could call it a salary dump. The Pirates actually eight salary to make it happen.

As for the centerpiece, it was Rivero. A young reliever with upside, control and proof that he can actually can it done in majors is going to have more trade value than a C+ prospect. I like Hearn, a lot, but Rivero is the primary return IMO.
UtahPirate

Rivero

Post by UtahPirate »

At the time most national sports sources thought the Bucs did very well on that trade. Of course part of that was the perception that Melancon wasn't a top of the line closer (as mentioned by iabucco, and something we'd probably argue). Many saw Rivero as heir-apparent to the closer role in a couple of years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rivero

I call Hearns the centerpiece as most Relievers are failed Starters. Trading a bullpen arm for a quality starting pitcher is always a win-win.

I am not sure how Melancon gets that bad knock against him? Stats don't lie.