Cole Intro

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iwatch

Cole Intro

Post by iwatch »

I almost never side with players bashing their bosses but I say kudos to Cole for telling the world what we fans are stuck with watching (except I won't be watching: something is wrong in baseball- Nutting/economics/small markets- I don't care. I'm done.) for the past few years. Good for him. No wonder he's been ticked. He's trying to win and his bosses aren't trying. Cutch cares about Pittsburgh too much to say it directly but he hinted in his Giants interview. I'm glad Cole mouthed off.
RichD

Cole Intro

Post by RichD »

Most of you fans here have been through worse times .I have with the Bucs. And here you still are . Don`t give me this crap about not watching games etc. You will watch games or at least keep up with the Pirates in some way.

Heck from the day Cutch and Cole were drafted I knew if they ever panned out and became good they were gone.I don't get attached to the players . I root for them while their here then let them go when they go.The last player I was attached to was Bonds. I enjoy the turnover with new guys.Some day it will all come together at once and we will have a real run not the crap we had a few years back .Hell we never even won the division.
dmetz

Cole Intro

Post by dmetz »

202B232F2A2B307573043D252C2B2B6A272B440 wrote: It's childish, in my opinion.  Once he leaves, then he speaks?  And I am sure he still has friends in the Pirates locker room too.  There is a way to be professional.  He should be happy, but no reason to speak badly of his former team even if he was asked.

He also forgot about those nine seasons after they Astros got swept in the 2005 World Series where they did nothing and was one of the worst teams in baseball.

(I did hear that Harrison wants out, but I didn't hear what Rodriguez said.  What did he say?  He left for free agency.  He seemed excited to be back last year.)

All players should just shut up and play! Vendors should be ok making min wage and nobody should ever criticize employers, past or present.

Don't people understand who their masters are?
SCBucco

Cole Intro

Post by SCBucco »

4B424A5B552F0 wrote: It's childish, in my opinion.  Once he leaves, then he speaks?  And I am sure he still has friends in the Pirates locker room too.  There is a way to be professional.  He should be happy, but no reason to speak badly of his former team even if he was asked.

He also forgot about those nine seasons after they Astros got swept in the 2005 World Series where they did nothing and was one of the worst teams in baseball.

(I did hear that Harrison wants out, but I didn't hear what Rodriguez said.  What did he say?  He left for free agency.  He seemed excited to be back last year.)

All players should just shut up and play!  Vendors should be ok making min wage and nobody should ever criticize employers, past or present.

Don't people understand who their masters are? 

Cole's Masters are in Houston, not the one's he basically called cheap and didn't care.
sdimmick3

Cole Intro

Post by sdimmick3 »

Im not upset by the trades, but im very skeptical of the returns.  Im not upset with what Cole said, I think it's refreshing for someone to have a voice for others that don't.  As I said in another thread, 98 wins and you do what the next year?  NOTHING!  Meanwhile, Glasnow MIGHT turn out to be a reliever, Meadows is always hurt and I don't see any other prospect coming up except Keller that will make a real impact.  All the other guys have potential, but prospects are no guarantee.  So here we sit frustrated of what could have been.  If im a player, giving it my all for 30 games pitched or 140+ games in the field, to see what's going on with trades and the responses from the FO, I'd be pissed to. 

I'd rather FO come out and say we're rebuilding or hitting the reset button than to act like we are even closer to the playoffs before Cole and Cutch.  Those comments are a slap in the face to fans and players.
SammyKhalifa

Cole Intro

Post by SammyKhalifa »

one of the first things they tell you about doing interviews is that you should not bad-mouth your former employers.  it doesn't have anything to do with "knowing who your masters are" or even  if you're right nor not, or anything like that--it has to do with not sounding like a whiny little jerk.

You should be above that.  That Gerit can't control himself a little better is telling--and might be coming from the same place that causes him to occasionally blow up on the mound and not totally live up to his potential.  Maybe he can control himself a little better this upcoming season.
rucker59@gmail.com

Cole Intro

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6358525975310 wrote: Most of you fans here have been through worse times .I have with the Bucs. And here you still are . Don`t give me this crap about not watching games etc. You will watch games or at least keep up with the Pirates in some way.

Heck from the day Cutch and Cole were drafted I knew if they ever panned out and became good they were gone.I don't get attached to the players . I root for them while their here then let them go when they go.The last player I was attached to was Bonds. I enjoy the turnover with new guys.Some day it will all come together at once and we will have a real run not the crap we had a few years back .Hell we never even won the division.

I hear you, but there is something particularly poisonous in the current chemistry,  that leaves a particularly bad taste, that may well cause fans to give the owner and his minions a colective finger and walk away.

It’s the blaming of fans, the outright lies.  All of this began AFTER the 2015 season, after 98 wins, after the fans smashed attendance records and TV share was going through the roof, when Pittsburgh was on its way to being a “Pirates town”.  That winter, the fans Were excited - there was an absolute sense that the Pirates could win the WS.  Then suddenly a new direction was charted: “we will add on when the time is right” suddenly became “we can’t add on because we don’t have enough fan support.”   Even though we had years of superior support compared to Kansas City, I listened to Neal Put Pirate fans down, claiming the Royals has much greater fan support. The Pirates smoked KC in attendance, had for years.

It was a lie To justify pulling back on the team that had a chance to win the World Series. Nothing has been the same since except for the lying which continues today. I think this lying, this blaming of the fans, Has done more damage than 20 losing seasons.

There’s something particularly painful about being so close and yet the team ownership quitting on the team and the fans. Yesterday my son said this: “This hurts much worse then never winning”.  Yesterday my wife said she doesn’t want to go to anymore games.

Thank you Bob Nutting.

rucker59@gmail.com

Cole Intro

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

756B7D687F741C0 wrote: I almost never side with players bashing their bosses but I say kudos to Cole for telling the world what we fans are stuck with watching (except I won't be watching: something is wrong in baseball- Nutting/economics/small markets- I don't care. I'm done.) for the past few years. Good for him. No wonder he's been ticked. He's trying to win and his bosses aren't trying.  Cutch cares about Pittsburgh too much to say it directly but he hinted in his Giants interview.  I'm glad Cole mouthed off.

This.

Me too.
Quail

Cole Intro

Post by Quail »

52606C6C784A69606D686760010 wrote: one of the first things they tell you about doing interviews is that you should not bad-mouth your former employers.  it doesn't have anything to do with "knowing who your masters are" or even  if you're right nor not, or anything like that--it has to do with not sounding like a whiny little jerk.

You should be above that.  That Gerit can't control himself a little better is telling--and might be coming from the same place that causes him to occasionally blow up on the mound and not totally live up to his potential.  Maybe he can control himself a little better this upcoming season.

Well "they" might be right about taking a conservatively cautious approach to interviews in order to preserve one's position in a corporate hierarchy, but Cole's honesty pointedly addressed the Pirates' failure at the implied contract of players, fans, and ownership that is uniquely at the heart of professional sports. As for "sounding like a whiny little jerk", he isn't applying for some middle management position so speaking truth to power can't hurt him with ownership, and any informed fan knows he spoke the truth.
SammyKhalifa

Cole Intro

Post by SammyKhalifa »

whether I agree with him or not is besides the point. it's clear he does not have much in the way of self-control.