3 Bucs Gold Glove Finalists

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Let's throw a bone to that last place club.  Stallings.

Like, when they gave it to Nate McLouth. 
Except that McLouth didn't deserve it but Stallings probably does.

Agree.

Your one sentence says it all, in my opinion. When it comes it comes to almost every "non-achievement" award, we may not know who is the most deserving because people care about certain factors more than other people do. But....we tend to know when someone DOESN'T truly deserve to win it.

Even if someone came up with a computer program that supposedly printed the name of the most deserving player, there would be no shortage of people questioning the possible bias, the qualifications, the factors, the weights of each factor, or a whole host of other things.

The day after the award's announced, you can count on the commentary that's going to come out in the sports column. They probably write most of it in advance.

That's why I've felt the same about these awards- they're importaint, but only so important.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

526770707B4270707B7C70150 wrote: Let's throw a bone to that last place club.  Stallings.

Agree. 

Your one sentence says it all, in my opinion.  When it comes it comes to almost every "non-achievement" award, we may not know who is the most deserving because people care about certain factors more than other people do.  But....we tend to know when someone DOESN'T truly deserve to win it.

Even if someone came up with a computer program that supposedly printed the name of the most deserving player, there would be no shortage of people questioning the possible bias, the qualifications, the factors, the weights of each factor, or a whole host of other things. 

The day after the award's announced, you can count on the commentary that's going to come out in the sports column.  They probably write most of it in advance.

That's why I've felt the same about these awards- they're important, but only so important. 
Yes, I've always taken awards with a grain of salt. They're nice when your guy gets them but it's always subjective and sometimes just flat out wrong. It wasn't too long ago that the Gold Gloves were awarded as much for the Silver Slugger criteria as for fielding. In 1999 Rafael Palmeiro won the GG for 1B despite only playing 28 games there all season for Texas while he served primarily as their DH. Palmeiro hit .324 with 47 HRs and 148 RBIs. He was a great DH. But Lee Stevens was the Texas 1Bman.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Wow ! Nate McLouth haven`t thought of him in years.

Did a BR search and some how Nate made $30 million as a player.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Let's throw a bone to that last place club.  Stallings.

Agree. 

Your one sentence says it all, in my opinion.  When it comes it comes to almost every "non-achievement" award, we may not know who is the most deserving because people care about certain factors more than other people do.  But....we tend to know when someone DOESN'T truly deserve to win it.

The day after the award's announced, you can count on the commentary that's going to come out in the sports column.  They probably write most of it in advance.

That's why I've felt the same about these awards- they're important, but only so important. 
Yes, I've always taken awards with a grain of salt. They're nice when your guy gets them but it's always subjective and sometimes just flat out wrong. It wasn't too long ago that the Gold Gloves were awarded as much for the Silver Slugger criteria as for fielding. In 1999 Rafael Palmeiro won the GG for 1B despite only playing 28 games there all season for Texas while he served primarily as their DH. Palmeiro hit .324 with 47 HRs and 148 RBIs. He was a great DH. But Lee Stevens was the Texas 1Bman.

Lee Stevens?  Wow.  He's a trivia answer waiting for the question.  "I'll take Texas Rangers guys everybody except Bobster and the guy's family forgot all about for $1,000, Mayim."

For a moment there, I thought you meant THIS guy!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqbbOhoOfQ ">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqbbOhoOfQ 

I don't want folks to think that I dismiss these "voted" winners or awards.  They ARE a recognition, even if I don't agree with the winner.  They're always a fine player.  It gets then a bonus, gets them invited to more banquets, and goes on their obit someday.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

754057575C6557575C5B57320 wrote: Let's throw a bone to that last place club.  Stallings.

Agree. 

Lee Stevens?  Wow.  He's a trivia answer waiting for the question.  "I'll take Texas Rangers guys everybody except Bobster and the guy's family forgot all about for $1,000, Mayim."

For a moment there, I thought you meant THIS guy!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqbbOhoOfQ ">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqbbOhoOfQ 

I don't want folks to think that I dismiss these "voted" winners or awards.  They ARE a recognition, even if I don't agree with the winner.  They're always a fine player.  It gets then a bonus, gets them invited to more banquets, and goes on their obit someday.

Stevens was a journeyman but he managed to have a 10 year career. To my knowledge he hasn't put out any albums yet. :)

But it must be pretty insulting to be your teams essentially everyday first baseman and your DH wins the GG for your position. It's like the league was saying "you're so bad at 1B that the DH who rarely plays there is a GG winner compared to you."

If you Google "worst gold glove winners" Palmeiro in 1999 usually is #1.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Just a few days ago, I Googled something and came across "Worst Defensive Players" or something by pure accident.

Sure enough, Raffy's there, but you know who else is? Nate The Great McLouth. Of course, they had stats for everybody on the list to make their justification, so it's not like it was just "a list." There were some guys most of us would immediately think of, but there were a few who surprised me.

On "our" original board, we had guys absolutely CROWING about McLouth like nobody's business. You would've thought he was..... Willie Mays.....Johnny Damon. . As "bad" as everybody makes Huntington out to have been, even HE had the good sense to get rid of McLouth at his "peak," such as it was. Huntington wasn't all bad. Only when it mattered. ;)

Things like McLouth's GG and Fred's NL Batting Title helped many of us survive some bleak times. Sort of how Reynolds and Frazier helped us this past sesaon. Stallings, too, regardless of whether he wins the GG.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7144535358615353585F53360 wrote: Just a few days ago, I Googled something and came across "Worst Defensive Players" or something by pure accident. 

Sure enough, Raffy's there, but you know who else is?  Nate The Great McLouth.  Of course, they had stats for everybody on the list to make their justification, so it's not like it was just "a list."  There were some guys most of us would immediately think of, but there were a few who surprised me. 

On "our" original board, we had guys absolutely CROWING about McLouth like nobody's business.  You would've thought he was..... Willie Mays.....Johnny Damon. .  As "bad" as everybody makes Huntington out to have been, even HE had the good sense to get rid of McLouth at his "peak," such as it was.   Huntington wasn't all bad.  Only when it mattered.  ;)   

Things like McLouth's GG and Fred's NL Batting Title helped many of us survive some bleak times.  Sort of how Reynolds and Frazier helped us this past sesaon.  Stallings, too, regardless of whether he wins the GG.
Jason Bay's ROY award was nice too.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ths for bringing that up. Sure was! First one for us, following a few slights over the years.

He was a good guy at a time when we needed good guys. About all that you can ask of anybody.

Wonder what he's up to these days. Probably living the life in Monte Carlo or something.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

744156565D6456565D5A56330 wrote: Ths for bringing that up.  Sure was!  First one for us, following a few slights over the years. 

He was a good guy at a time when we needed good guys.  About all that you can ask of anybody.

Wonder what he's up to these days.  Probably living the life in Monte Carlo or something. 
The last I heard he lives in the Outer Banks and bought a big Fishing boat
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, that's pretty insulting. ;)

Reffy's #1 on a couple of lists that I wouldn't want to be on. Shame of it is- he didn't need artificial assistance- or, any assistance at all. I don't want to travel too far down that path, as it strays from THIS (current) off-season.