Deal with Yanks getting close?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

052825343322357576470 wrote: Cole has had 3 good seasons and then 2 not very good seasons. Who knows if he'll ever approach his 2015 performance again. And he'll be worse in the AL because of the DH. A team trading for him is taking a chance, not knowing if he'll ever again be better than average. I don't expect someone's best prospects for him. Good prospects? Yes. Best? No. I don't even think it'll hurt the Pirates much to trade him. Williams and Nova even had better ERAs and Kuhl and Taillon weren't far behind.   

I agree. I think if Montgomery comes back in return, this could be a huge win for the Pirates.

I do think Cole has a ton of value considering his age, salary and past success. He was still a first overall pick that holds water to some. I do think there is more upside than downside. You do know kind of what you are getting. Trading for prospects is a bigger gamble. There is no track record.

This is all very interesting to me.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: Cole has had 3 good seasons and then 2 not very good seasons. Who knows if he'll ever approach his 2015 performance again. And he'll be worse in the AL because of the DH. A team trading for him is taking a chance, not knowing if he'll ever again be better than average. I don't expect someone's best prospects for him. Good prospects? Yes. Best? No. I don't even think it'll hurt the Pirates much to trade him. Williams and Nova even had better ERAs and Kuhl and Taillon weren't far behind.   

I agree.  I think if Montgomery comes back in return, this could be a huge win for the Pirates. 

I do think Cole has a ton of value considering his age, salary and past success.  He was still a first overall pick that holds water to some.  I do think there is more upside than downside.  You do know kind of what you are getting.  Trading for prospects is a bigger gamble.  There is no track record. 

This is all very interesting to me.

Sure, you know more about what you are getting in Cole then prospects.  However, even one doesn't know what you are getting with Cole.  He is inconsistent; labors through 5 or 6 innings.  The only thing that match Pittsburgh and NY in terms of Cole is a prospect pool.  I can't think of a worse place for Cole to pitch.  He has mental issues.  It showed greatly here in many instances and there is little pressure here.  He would come unglued in NY.  I will go out on a limb and say he will be the next coming of Jeff Weaver if traded to the Yanks.  Weaver was more consistent and one of the best pitchers in all of baseball in Detroit.  Much more successful than Cole.  Fell apart in NY.

I brought up Montgomery earlier. Would love to have him. He would slot into our second spot in our rotation.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7B70787471706B2E285F667E777070317C701F0 wrote: It is not just Torres #Yankees don't want to part with in a deal for Cole, but at least Florial/Sheffield too. My suspicion would build package around Frazier/Adams.

Sorry, but if it were me and the Yanks wanted one of my best players yet kept setting down more "off limits" qualifications, i'd politely let them know that they should shove off and talk to other teams instead.

I said this earlier, the Yankees aren't very good in trading their prospects.  I wonder if Huntington has offered any of the Pirates' prospects?  Huntington is another GM who doesn't like trading prospects. 

They have made it be known that they AREN'T trading Torres, but are open to Frazier plus.  So, this one isn't on Cashman.  It's the insistence of our idiot GM asking for the moon, including a prospect they AREN'T trading.  I bet they would trade Torres in a package for Machado.  Cole is far from Manny.

it's never on the other guy, is it?

When a GM says he isn't trading his top prospect, who is slated to start for his franchise for a #4 starter for his rotation, you look for other options within that organization because they have other pieces that help just as much.  If NH did this, a deal would have already been done.

I'm sure if our roles were flipped and we were looking at taking Cole and had their prospect pool, we wouldn't want to trade Torres for Cole.

Fact is, Frazier and Andujar and maybe an Acevedo is more than enough.   Maybe I should be the GM.

This goes back to what and who you are believing.  I agree if Torres is really off limits and Huntington keeps asking for him, then he needs to move on.  We just don't know that to be fact.  It is all speculation.

We also don't know who the Yankees are offering.  Outside of Frazier (rumor he is the centerpiece), we don't know the other names or know if Andujar and/or Acevedo are being discussed.  Rumors have been all over the place with Sheffield, Adams, Abrue and Florial too.  Pretty  much every Top 7 guys in the Yankees system has been mentioned.

Dude, I really think you need to set back a bit. Last year, NH put Cutch on the trade blocks. He was coming off a shitty season. A deal was in place with Washington, but NH wanted Robles on top of that. Robles was the prized prospect in the organization. He wanted him added to Giolitto and Gio Gonzales and another minor league guy for a player coming off a terrible year that didn't have much value.

Stop with the who you believe here. I believe NH is doing the same thing. He has a track record of such. I know for a fact the offer and what transpired with Washington last year as I know one of the beat writers very very well. The beat writer grew up in Pittsburgh before moving to Phoenix and was a Pirate fan. He told me flat out NH blew it.

I believe Cashman 100% here that he is asking for Torres. Why? Because if he wasn't, a deal would be done. Pretty simple.

The only two prospects I've seen mentioned that the Yanks don't want to deal are Torres and Florial.

I doubt we get a deal done. I would be interested to see if NH moves onto Houston. They are looking at Darvish. I'm sure if word got out that Houston all the sudden was involved, Cashman might up the ante, but not deal Torres.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

14040532242428470 wrote: It is not just Torres #Yankees don't want to part with in a deal for Cole, but at least Florial/Sheffield too. My suspicion would build package around Frazier/Adams.

Sorry, but if it were me and the Yanks wanted one of my best players yet kept setting down more "off limits" qualifications, i'd politely let them know that they should shove off and talk to other teams instead.

I said this earlier, the Yankees aren't very good in trading their prospects.  I wonder if Huntington has offered any of the Pirates' prospects?  Huntington is another GM who doesn't like trading prospects. 

They have made it be known that they AREN'T trading Torres, but are open to Frazier plus.  So, this one isn't on Cashman.  It's the insistence of our idiot GM asking for the moon, including a prospect they AREN'T trading.  I bet they would trade Torres in a package for Machado.  Cole is far from Manny.

When a GM says he isn't trading his top prospect, who is slated to start for his franchise for a #4 starter for his rotation, you look for other options within that organization because they have other pieces that help just as much.  If NH did this, a deal would have already been done.

I'm sure if our roles were flipped and we were looking at taking Cole and had their prospect pool, we wouldn't want to trade Torres for Cole.

Fact is, Frazier and Andujar and maybe an Acevedo is more than enough.   Maybe I should be the GM.

This goes back to what and who you are believing.  I agree if Torres is really off limits and Huntington keeps asking for him, then he needs to move on.  We just don't know that to be fact.  It is all speculation.

We also don't know who the Yankees are offering.  Outside of Frazier (rumor he is the centerpiece), we don't know the other names or know if Andujar and/or Acevedo are being discussed.  Rumors have been all over the place with Sheffield, Adams, Abrue and Florial too.  Pretty  much every Top 7 guys in the Yankees system has been mentioned.

Dude, I really think you need to set back a bit.  Last year, NH put Cutch on the trade blocks.  He was coming off a shitty season.  A deal was in place with Washington, but NH wanted Robles on top of that.  Robles was the prized prospect in the organization.  He wanted him added to Giolitto and Gio Gonzales and another minor league guy for a player coming off a terrible year that didn't have much value.

Stop with the who you believe here.  I believe NH is doing the same thing.  He has a track record of such.  I know for a fact the offer and what transpired with Washington last year as I know one of the beat writers very very well.  The beat writer grew up in Pittsburgh before moving to Phoenix and was a Pirate fan.  He told me flat out NH blew it.

I believe Cashman 100% here that he is asking for Torres.  Why?  Because if he wasn't, a deal would be done.  Pretty simple.

The only two prospects I've seen mentioned that the Yanks don't want to deal are Torres and Florial.

I doubt we get a deal done.  I would be interested to see if NH moves onto Houston.  They are looking at Darvish.  I'm sure if word got out that Houston all the sudden was involved, Cashman might up the ante, but not deal Torres.

Ok, what are the Yankees offering?

If they are offering Clint Frazier, Jake Cave and Ben Heller you are accepting the deal? And they want Gerrit Cole and Josh Harrison?

What is Cashman's track record in dealing prospects?

We just don't know, that is the point. Since you don't like Huntington you are against every move or every non-move he makes. Yes, it is important in who you believe. We all can speculate.

P.S.

Do you have a link to that Washington beat writers article about the Pirates and the McCutchen dealings? I truly never read anything about the dealings/discussions. Sounds interesting.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

If the yanks are slowing the talks to maintain their stance, the pirates need to talk with someone else as a way to get the yanks to bite. Surely there is some other teams out there that are interested
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: It is not just Torres #Yankees don't want to part with in a deal for Cole, but at least Florial/Sheffield too. My suspicion would build package around Frazier/Adams.

Dude, I really think you need to set back a bit.  Last year, NH put Cutch on the trade blocks.  He was coming off a shitty season.  A deal was in place with Washington, but NH wanted Robles on top of that.  Robles was the prized prospect in the organization.  He wanted him added to Giolitto and Gio Gonzales and another minor league guy for a player coming off a terrible year that didn't have much value.

Stop with the who you believe here.  I believe NH is doing the same thing.  He has a track record of such.  I know for a fact the offer and what transpired with Washington last year as I know one of the beat writers very very well.  The beat writer grew up in Pittsburgh before moving to Phoenix and was a Pirate fan.  He told me flat out NH blew it.

I believe Cashman 100% here that he is asking for Torres.  Why?  Because if he wasn't, a deal would be done.  Pretty simple.

I doubt we get a deal done.  I would be interested to see if NH moves onto Houston.  They are looking at Darvish.  I'm sure if word got out that Houston all the sudden was involved, Cashman might up the ante, but not deal Torres.

If they are offering Clint Frazier, Jake Cave and Ben Heller you are accepting the deal?  And they want Gerrit Cole and Josh Harrison?

We just don't know, that is the point.  Since you don't like Huntington you are against every move or every non-move he makes.  Yes, it is important in who you believe.  We all can speculate. 

P.S.

Do you have a link to that Washington beat writers article about the Pirates and the McCutchen dealings?  I truly never read anything about the dealings/discussions.  Sounds interesting.

Yes, I will personally try to find that link on the Internet involving a personal conversation I had with a friend that serves as a beat writer for the Nationals.  As soon as NH wanted Robles, Rizzo hung up and called the White Sox for Eaton.  Chicago got a very nice package.

What is Cashman's MO involving trading prospects? His franchise prospect pool sucked for a while because he traded them all. Now, he is collecting them to rebuild it. Seems like he had no problem sending a nice package of them to you know, Oakland for Sonny Gray.

Hyman reported the Yanks offered Frazier plus for Cole and Cole only. Not one single mention of Harrison.
RichD

Post by RichD »

BEEN DRINKING  WINE ! Boss LET ME OFF early....I cant read anything rihgt now..
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

4E757F74581C0 wrote: BEEN DRINKING  WINE ! Boss LET ME OFF early....I cant read anything rihgt now..

This is great.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1C0C0D3A2C2C204F0 wrote: It is not just Torres #Yankees don't want to part with in a deal for Cole, but at least Florial/Sheffield too. My suspicion would build package around Frazier/Adams.

If they are offering Clint Frazier, Jake Cave and Ben Heller you are accepting the deal?  And they want Gerrit Cole and Josh Harrison?

We just don't know, that is the point.  Since you don't like Huntington you are against every move or every non-move he makes.  Yes, it is important in who you believe.  We all can speculate. 

P.S.

Do you have a link to that Washington beat writers article about the Pirates and the McCutchen dealings?  I truly never read anything about the dealings/discussions.  Sounds interesting.

Yes, I will personally try to find that link on the Internet involving a personal conversation I had with a friend that serves as a beat writer for the Nationals.  As soon as NH wanted Robles, Rizzo hung up and called the White Sox for Eaton.  Chicago got a very nice package.

What is Cashman's MO involving trading prospects?  His franchise prospect pool sucked for a while because he traded them all.  Now, he is collecting them to rebuild it.  Seems like he had no problem sending a nice package of them to you know, Oakland for Sonny Gray.

Hyman reported the Yanks offered Frazier plus for Cole and Cole only.  Not one single mention of Harrison.

Oh, I assumed the Beat Writer would write about it. Silly me.

My point is it is hard to believe everyone. There are so many names being thrown around that no one knows what is true. Who is Hyman or do you mean Jon Heyman? Jon Heyman has been all over the place.
iwatch

Post by iwatch »

Just an interesting side note- the New York Post (no idea of its quality, reliability, or if some guy named Everrett just makes this stuff up and prints from his basement) had an article explaining how the Yankees control these deals, like Sonny Gray, getting them to work in their favor. It was suggesting that eventually the Yankees will compel the Pirates to take a lesser value for Cole. I found that interesting.