Deal with Yanks getting close?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

I think the New York paper story was planted by the Yankees to pressure the Pirates into making a deal. That means that the Yanks want the deal still which swings momentum to the Bucs. Don't be completely unreasonable but don't bail Huntington!!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

04363A3A2E1C3F363B3E3136570 wrote: Pirates Prospects has a good article on the 'asking too much' topic. The New York papers are saying essentially that the Pirates shouldn't be expecting the Yankees to give good prospects for their player. This is the same player the Yankees received (along with three others) for 2.5 mos. of Chapman at the end of the year. In short, the Yankees should get good prospects but not have to give good prospects. Okay if you're the Yankees.

Not surprisingly I think that's a poor analysis by PP and not what the NY papers are saying, imo.  They're re-affirming something that has been out there for quite some time : NH is not regarded as any sort of deal maker in the indusrty.   

all depends on you go in wanting to interpret it IMO

I think the article is pretty on target.  NH should be asking for a lot for Cole, initially.  It's like selling/buying a car.  The seller starts out asking for a lot, the buyer starts out with a low offer.  A deal is made if a sensible middle ground can be found somewhere in which both parties come out reasonably happy.

And I don't know how anyone can disagree that two years of Cole should be worth more than two months of a closer, now matter how awesome that closer is.

The Yanks are complaining that the Pirates always want to "win" deals while at the same time wanting to get the better of all of them.  All teams probably want this.

As Pirates fans, we'll see that as either "The Front Office playing tough" or "see look they're hard headed and impossible to deal with" while probably in reality a bit of both.  It's like a rorsarch test for how you want to view management. 

crocodile tears from the Yankees. Complaining the Pirates want to win a deal when that is what the Yanks are trying to do.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

2B20282421203B7E780F362E272020612C204F0 wrote: I agree with this thought. There is no reason for NH to lower his asking price. Two years of a quality pitcher at a reasonable salary has value.

If no trade, where do they go from there?  At least trading Cole would give some direction and start a possible  rebuild sooner.  Especially, if major league ready talent is returned. 

The worst place to be is in limbo.  I fear that is where the Pirates are right now.  They can go either way.  I want them to pick one.  And pick one soon. 

So, in today's chapter of, "Dishonesty from Dog," we go back just three days to see him ask me this question:

You honestly believe Huntington has no plan?  Honestly.  A multi-million dollar business has no plan what so ever?

And then today, he comes right out and says that NH has no direction and needs to pick one soon.

This is quality work.

Oh and his easily predictable response is going to be, "having a plan and having a direction are two completely different things."

Tune in for the next chapter of, "Dishonesty from Dog."
pghpaulatl

Post by pghpaulatl »

I think when NH and CH were signed to 4 year contracts the direction was sealed, we are rebuilding no doubt in my mind.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I'M hoping for a Christmas Baseball Deal that benefits both teams! Especially our Battling Buccos...

About time we Pirate fans had something to cheer for this time of year!

Fingers crossed, prayers said, pact with Devil??? Well, I won't go that far, but you catch my drift...

Beat'em Bucs :D
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

6156405065424D4A4D6462230 wrote: I'M hoping for a Christmas Baseball Deal that benefits both teams! Especially our Battling Buccos...

About time we Pirate fans had something to cheer for this time of year!

Fingers crossed, prayers said, pact with Devil??? Well, I won't go that far, but you catch my drift...

Beat'em Bucs :D

Maybe Disney will buy the team, bump the payroll to $250M, and make all the players dress up like Jack Sparrow during games. If we win I could live with this....

:D ;D
mouse

Post by mouse »

:) What a great marketing ploy that Jack Sparrow plan would make!
RichD

Post by RichD »

777C74787D7C672224536A727B7C7C3D707C130 wrote: I agree with this thought. There is no reason for NH to lower his asking price. Two years of a quality pitcher at a reasonable salary has value.

If no trade, where do they go from there?  At least trading Cole would give some direction and start a possible  rebuild sooner.  Especially, if major league ready talent is returned. 

The worst place to be is in limbo.  I fear that is where the Pirates are right now.  They can go either way.  I want them to pick one.  And pick one soon. 

Dog a few pages back ...I thought i had a good trade with Houston.Makes sense for both teams .Josh Bell going back to the OF is not a bad thing. Look at the possible lineup we could have . I even think its better than getting Frazier . The Torres guy is a big thing but looking at his stats i really am not impressed .I`m just listening to everyone else ...But AJ Reed has put up some monster numbers from the get go. We still have that kid SS who i like coming up Cole Tucker I think he will be real good.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

695258537F3B0 wrote: I agree with this thought. There is no reason for NH to lower his asking price. Two years of a quality pitcher at a reasonable salary has value.

Dog a few pages back ...I thought i had a good trade with Houston.Makes sense for both teams .Josh Bell going back to the OF is not a bad thing. Look at the possible lineup we could have . I even think its better than getting Frazier . The Torres guy is a big thing but looking at his stats i really am not impressed .I`m just listening to everyone else ...But AJ Reed has put up some monster numbers from the get go. We still have that kid SS who i like coming up Cole Tucker I think he will be real good.

I still prefer a Frazier, Adams/Sheffield, & Andujar return from the Yanks. However NH would be foolish if he was not negotiating with Houston as well and leveraging that fact in his demands to the Yanks
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2A0F0C0C19320F070512600 wrote: I agree with this thought. There is no reason for NH to lower his asking price. Two years of a quality pitcher at a reasonable salary has value.

I still prefer a Frazier, Adams/Sheffield, & Andujar return from the Yanks. However NH would be foolish if he was not negotiating with Houston as well and leveraging that fact in his demands to the Yanks

Pittsburgh would have to add to that Yanks deal. No chance are they giving up that for just Cole.