Managerial Candidates???

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Managerial Candidates???

Post by BenM »

1D3C341D363E590 wrote: read somewhere that Cherington said something about filling the manager job in a week or something to that effect, guessing next Monday to next Friday would be my guess.  Winter meetings are between the 8th and 12th so guessing he wants this out of the way and will start shopping Marte to the other teams there.  My guess of course :)   Thinking Derek Shelton
Thanksgiving week?  I mean maybe but I wouldn't count on it.

I hope it is done by the end of next week.  I am really tired of all the BS around this major change in management and how behind the team is in getting stuff set up for next season in scouting and development. 

I understand why people want a manager named quickly, but we are looking at a 3/5 year process. I'm not sure how much progress will be lost in the next couple of weeks, so I'm OK with taking the time to get the right person. (With the big assumption that they make the right hire.)
Ecbucs

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Ecbucs »

16313A19540 wrote: read somewhere that Cherington said something about filling the manager job in a week or something to that effect, guessing next Monday to next Friday would be my guess.  Winter meetings are between the 8th and 12th so guessing he wants this out of the way and will start shopping Marte to the other teams there.  My guess of course :)   Thinking Derek Shelton

I hope it is done by the end of next week.  I am really tired of all the BS around this major change in management and how behind the team is in getting stuff set up for next season in scouting and development. 

I understand why people want a manager named quickly, but we are looking at a 3/5 year process. I'm not sure how much progress will be lost in the next couple of weeks, so I'm OK with taking the time to get the right person. (With the big assumption that they make the right hire.)

pretty sure John Russell is still available.
DemDog

Managerial Candidates???

Post by DemDog »

0C2A2B3C2A3A490 wrote: read somewhere that Cherington said something about filling the manager job in a week or something to that effect, guessing next Monday to next Friday would be my guess.  Winter meetings are between the 8th and 12th so guessing he wants this out of the way and will start shopping Marte to the other teams there.  My guess of course :)   Thinking Derek Shelton

Russell smushell! Bring back the only guy I know of who stole 1B! Bring back "LegendaryLloyd" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bobster21

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Bobster21 »

5F7E765F747C1B0 wrote: read somewhere that Cherington said something about filling the manager job in a week or something to that effect, guessing next Monday to next Friday would be my guess.  Winter meetings are between the 8th and 12th so guessing he wants this out of the way and will start shopping Marte to the other teams there.  My guess of course :)   Thinking Derek Shelton

Russell smushell!  Bring back the only guy I know of who stole 1B!  Bring back "LegendaryLloyd" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Possum, you know 2 who stole 1B. I plead guilty. Playing in a Baltimore league about 10 years ago I took off to steal 2B and glanced over my shoulder to see the batter swing and the ball go to the backstop. I slid into 2B but assumed it was a foul ball so I started walking back to 1B. The other team started yelling and I saw them throw to 1B where I was going from 2B. I didn't know what they were doing but I thought I better get back to 1B before the throw and then figure it all out. It was a close play at 1B but I hustled and slid under the tag and was called safe. Then I asked the umpire why they were making a play on me as I went back to 1B after sliding into 2B on a foul ball. The umpire told me it was not a foul ball. He said it was just a horrible pitch that the batter swung at and missed as it went to the back stop. So I had successfully stolen 2B and then I went back to 1B and got in under the tag. So after successfully stealing 2B I immediately went backwards and stole 1B. I was so embarrassed that I was determined to get back to 2B so I stole it again and went to 3B on a bad throw from the catcher. So without the ball being hit, I stole 2B, stole 1B, restole 2B and went to 3B on the error. It was insane.  :D :D :D   
DemDog

Managerial Candidates???

Post by DemDog »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: read somewhere that Cherington said something about filling the manager job in a week or something to that effect, guessing next Monday to next Friday would be my guess.  Winter meetings are between the 8th and 12th so guessing he wants this out of the way and will start shopping Marte to the other teams there.  My guess of course :)   Thinking Derek Shelton

Russell smushell!  Bring back the only guy I know of who stole 1B!  Bring back "LegendaryLloyd" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Possum, you know 2 who stole 1B. I plead guilty. Playing in a Baltimore league about 10 years ago I took off to steal 2B and glanced over my shoulder to see the batter swing and the ball go to the backstop. I slid into 2B but assumed it was a foul ball so I started walking back to 1B. The other team started yelling and I saw them throw to 1B where I was going from 2B. I didn't know what they were doing but I thought I better get back to 1B before the throw and then figure it all out. It was a close play at 1B but I hustled and slid under the tag and was called safe. Then I asked the umpire why they were making a play on me as I went back to 1B after sliding into 2B on a foul ball. The umpire told me it was not a foul ball. He said it was just a horrible pitch that the batter swung at and missed as it went to the back stop. So I had successfully stolen 2B and then I went back to 1B and got in under the tag. So after successfully stealing 2B I immediately went backwards and stole 1B. I was so embarrassed that I was determined to get back to 2B so I stole it again and went to 3B on a bad throw from the catcher. So without the ball being hit, I stole 2B, stole 1B, restole 2B and went to 3B on the error. It was insane.  :D :D :D   

Yeh, Bobster. I bet you can even tell us about your experiences about cold-cocking Ty Cobb after he slid in with his spikes up in 2B. ;D ;D
SammyKhalifa

Managerial Candidates???

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Sources: Pirates narrow manager search to Derek Shelton, Matt Quatraro

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE

NOV 25, 2019 12:08 PM

The Pirates have narrowed their search to replace Clint Hurdle as manager.

As first reported by MLB.com, their final two candidates are Minnesota Twins bench coach Derek Shelton and Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Matt Quatraro, team sources confirmed to the Post-Gazette.

Shelton, 49, was hitting coach with the Cleveland Indians from 2005 to 2009, then had the same position with the Rays from 2010 to 2016 before the Twins brought him on as bench coach in 2017.

Quatraro, 46, played in the Rays’ minor league system and became a coach in 2004. He worked at various positions with Tampa from 2004 to 2013 before he joining Terry Francona’s staff with the Indians from 2014 to 2017 as an assistant hitting coach. Quatraro returned to the Rays for the 2018 season as third base coach and became bench coach for 2019.

Both men are highly respected in baseball circles and have experience winning in small markets.

The decision to focus on Quatraro and Shelton eliminates internal candidates such as third base coach Joey Cora and special assistant Jeff Banister.

According to sources, the Pirates are hoping to finalize a decision by the end of the week. Whomever the manager is will have to work quickly to build his staff.

The Pirates still need to hire a bench coach and a pitching coach. The manager, along with general manager Ben Cherington, will also have to decide the fates of the remaining staff members like Cora, hitting coach Rick Eckstein, and first base coach Kimera Bartee.
fjk090852-7

Managerial Candidates???

Post by fjk090852-7 »

74464A4A5E6C4F464B4E4146270 wrote: Sources: Pirates narrow manager search to Derek Shelton, Matt Quatraro

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE

NOV 25, 2019 12:08 PM

The Pirates have narrowed their search to replace Clint Hurdle as manager.

As first reported by MLB.com, their final two candidates are Minnesota Twins bench coach Derek Shelton and Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Matt Quatraro, team sources confirmed to the Post-Gazette.

Shelton, 49, was hitting coach with the Cleveland Indians from 2005 to 2009, then had the same position with the Rays from 2010 to 2016 before the Twins brought him on as bench coach in 2017.

Quatraro, 46, played in the Rays’ minor league system and became a coach in 2004. He worked at various positions with Tampa from 2004 to 2013 before he joining Terry Francona’s staff with the Indians from 2014 to 2017 as an assistant hitting coach. Quatraro returned to the Rays for the 2018 season as third base coach and became bench coach for 2019.

Both men are highly respected in baseball circles and have experience winning in small markets.

The decision to focus on Quatraro and Shelton eliminates internal candidates such as third base coach Joey Cora and special assistant Jeff Banister.

According to sources, the Pirates are hoping to finalize a decision by the end of the week. Whomever the manager is will have to work quickly to build his staff.

The Pirates still need to hire a bench coach and a pitching coach. The manager, along with general manager Ben Cherington, will also have to decide the fates of the remaining staff members like Cora, hitting coach Rick Eckstein, and first base coach Kimera Bartee.
I am a little surprised that an announcement,or notice of finalizing an agreement was not made today. I am wondering if one or both of these finalists are having second thoughts about managing under the Pirates regime.
mouse

Managerial Candidates???

Post by mouse »

I was wondering if they are haggling over salary, etc., and haven't yet finalized that part of the deal.
fjk090852-7

Managerial Candidates???

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The longer the delay in an announcement, it would seem that neither of the 2 finalists are going to accept the position. I doubt there will be no announcement after today until next week due to the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
SammyKhalifa

Managerial Candidates???

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2E2223787178707D7A657F480 wrote: The longer the delay in an announcement, it would seem that neither of the 2 finalists are going to accept the position.
I don't know that I'd assume that.  I mean, there's going to be a press conference; which will mean travel for the new guy, and arrangements, etc--all in a week where offices around the country are kind of bare.