Managerial Candidates???

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Managerial Candidates???

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Other then Jeff Bannister Who a lot of people think will be the man to replace Clint who would be on your list of names to look at?? I would like to take a look at former Pirates shortstop Jay Bell who is currently managing the Yankees AAA team, or Mike Matheny the ex Cards manager. Those are two names that I can think of that I hope the Pirates strongly consider. Who does everybody else have??
DemDog

Managerial Candidates???

Post by DemDog »

I hope it is someone from outside the organization. That leaves Bannister out. My only concern is that the might lose the hitting coaches who I think turned things around for some of the kid hitters.
Ecbucs

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Ecbucs »

77565E775C54330 wrote: I hope it is someone from outside the organization.  That leaves Bannister out.  My only concern is that the might lose the hitting coaches who I think turned things around for some of the kid hitters. 

I hope it someone outside the organization and someone younger than 50.
DemDog

Managerial Candidates???

Post by DemDog »

From today's PG

Pirates Managerial Candidates to Watch
INbuc

Managerial Candidates???

Post by INbuc »

I don't have any particular candidates but I have a profile:    the candidate needs to be uber smart, uber competitive, and baseball through and through.  I don't care if he ever got a whiff of the majors as a player.  He doesn't have to be an internal candidate.  A good baseball man will be able to size up every player's strengths and weaknesses in short order.  He will be able to assess every coach's capabilities in short order.  He will be a control freak that will either make Neal better or get him fired.

I bet there are numerous candidates who could meet those specs...and would be affordable.  We need a young Jim Leyland.
skinnyhorse

Managerial Candidates???

Post by skinnyhorse »

1A3D2C282D300F3B2C2D2D30490 wrote: Other then Jeff Bannister Who a lot of people think will be the man to replace Clint who would be on your list of names to look at?? I would like to take a look at former Pirates shortstop Jay Bell who is currently managing the Yankees AAA team, or Mike Matheny the ex Cards manager. Those are two names that I can think of that I hope the Pirates strongly consider. Who does everybody else have??

Matheny would be at the top of my list.
Roberto218

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Roberto218 »

Jay Bell. Yankees are great on analytics.
SCBucco

Managerial Candidates???

Post by SCBucco »

Watch the Pirates get someone like Gabe Kapler after Philly cans him. I don't have a good feel about getting someone good when you consider Nutting will be paying Hurdle for the next two years not to manage and the next manager.
BenM

Managerial Candidates???

Post by BenM »

4252536472727E110 wrote: I don't have a good feel about getting someone good when you consider Nutting will be paying Hurdle for the next two years not to manage and the next manager.

If you are a smart organization you can manage it. The Red Sox got Alex Cora for about 800k.

Unfortunately, this is not a smart organization.
Ecbucs

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Ecbucs »

the only name that I'm interested in so far is Omar Vizquel. I don't know anything about him as a manager but he should be able to get along with players that don't hit a lot of home runs.