Deal with Yanks getting close?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I do not think that if you trade Cole that you then need to blow it up. I know from reports that NH wants Torres. If we get him great, but the Yanks aren’t trading him and frankly I don’t want my Cole return to be invested in a single prospect. What I would prefer to see is Frazier, Adams/Sheffield AND Andujar. Whatever the Bucs haveto do to sweeten the pot and get that third prospect then do it.

We would have pitching depth and OF depth plus a potential Aramis Ramirez ready to take over third base. Bucs could compete in 2018 and beyond.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

I read somewhere that Frazier is projected to add hrs as he gets more at bats at the major league level, the bat speed should equal power down the road. what ever that means, a few names come to mind but don't want to create a flame session so will keep it to myself. he is worth a shot imo but I want more than just two prospects for cole, frazier and one of andujar or sheffield and a raw upside prospect would work for me, guess this is where your scouts earn there money. find a diamond and it could make this deal! but fully expect Neal and crew to blow this. it is there MO as of late!!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

507576766348757D7F681A0 wrote: I do not think that if you trade Cole that you then need to blow it up. I know from reports that NH wants Torres. If we get him great, but the Yanks aren’t trading him and frankly I don’t want my Cole return to be invested in a single prospect. What I would prefer to see is Frazier, Adams/Sheffield AND Andujar. Whatever the Bucs haveto do to sweeten the pot and get that third prospect then do it.

We would have pitching depth and OF depth plus a potential Aramis Ramirez ready to take over third base. Bucs could compete in 2018 and beyond. 

The risk of quantity over quality can result in lack of impact players in return. It’s the philosophy NH took the last time he traded Bay, Nady, Marte, Sanchez, McLouth, LaRoche, Grabow, Gorzelanny, Wilson and Snell to only net Harrison, Tabata, Morton and Locke. Where those four players were useful and produced (especially in Harrison’s case), I believe they would have benefited from taking the risk on fewer players with more upside.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

7656455859370 wrote: I do not think that if you trade Cole that you then need to blow it up. I know from reports that NH wants Torres. If we get him great, but the Yanks aren’t trading him and frankly I don’t want my Cole return to be invested in a single prospect. What I would prefer to see is Frazier, Adams/Sheffield AND Andujar. Whatever the Bucs haveto do to sweeten the pot and get that third prospect then do it.

The risk of quantity over quality can result in lack of impact players in return. It’s the philosophy NH took the last time he traded Bay, Nady, Marte, Sanchez, McLouth, LaRoche, Grabow, Gorzelanny, Wilson and Snell to only net Harrison, Tabata, Morton and Locke. Where those four players were useful and produced (especially in Harrison’s case), I believe they would have benefited from taking the risk on fewer players with more upside.

I would like to see a personality profile test between Aaron and NH. Aaron is the dominant, confident, don't-take-no for an answer type. Like a entrepreneur. NH more like the steady, risk-averse, bookkeeper. True opposite-enders. I understand why he drives you crazy.

The same reason NH wants a diluted, multi-player, return would be the same reason you spread your international money over 20 tier 2 guys rather than half a dozen potential studs. Entrepreneurs sometimes strike it rich and sometimes hit the bricks. Old Neal won't go broke, he'll just hide under his mother's kitchen table until he's on medicare.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

https://nypost.com/2017/12/18/yankees-h ... -the-cost/

There's the NY post from yesterday.   NH is known to be difficult to deal with, according to the NY Post.   

In order to make a good deal, you've got to make a deal.   Always pushing the other side off the table is preferable to giving away the farm, but not a good outcome. 
mouse

Post by mouse »

Pirates Prospects has a good article on the 'asking too much' topic. The New York papers are saying essentially that the Pirates shouldn't be expecting the Yankees to give good prospects for their player. This is the same player the Yankees received (along with three others) for 2.5 mos. of Chapman at the end of the year. In short, the Yankees should get good prospects but not have to give good prospects. Okay if you're the Yankees.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Take Frazier, Andujar, and Adams. Get it done. Trading Cole isn't running up the white flag.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

The Bucs have most assuredly set a bar for what they must have in return for Cole. The Yanks have likely set a bar for how much they are willing to give up. Obviously the bars don't overlap. Now the two must negotiate that DMZ in between.

As I see it, since they have what the Yanks want, the Bucs are more in control. While I wouldn't want NH to pass on a good deal, I hope he remains strong. It is not the Pirates, nor any other organizations' requirement, to serve as a farm system, employment agency, or magic genie for the Yanks.

Time and place is everything. Just like Stanton basically fell in the Yanks' lap, maybe this opportunity will be good for us. Cole's combination of talent and cost is keeping NY at the table. Just like there is one Honus Wagner baseball card, there is one Garrit Cole. If you want one, you gotta pay.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

This is what makes this trade interesting. The Pirates and Yankees both seem to be bad traders and over value their players.

The Yankees didn't want to trade Clint Frazier and/or Gleybar Torres for Sonny Gray and the A's also asked for Estevan Florial after they got a "no" for the other two. The Yankees held onto all three players.

I wonder if the Pirates went for the lesser guys right away, the Yankees would have jumped on it? Of course, that might have raised some eyebrows in why the Pirates didn't ask for Torres or Florial first.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm thinking Cole's trade value--if he's having a decent season--could get even better at the trade deadline when contending teams could see him as a difference maker and are willing to go all in for a championship in 2018 plus another full year of him in 2019. So if NH doesn't get what he's asking now in the off-season, he might get it later.