Pirates Cards Game Thread 9/6...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I managed to fall asleep while watching the recording of the game somewhere around the 5th. Unfortunately, I awoke to see that the Pirates were winning 6-5 in the bottom of the 8th.

It was great to see Watson get the first two outs and then to go 0-2 on Carpenter. Lefty vs. Lefty, I thought we had a chance. Sadly, Watson surrendered the home run to Carpenter and then had a total meltdown.

The Pirates would not have had the success that they had in 2013, 2014 and 2015 without Tony Watson being on the team. He was nearly always dependable, although he did start to show some cracks in the armor last year, but this year, he has been all too hittable. He also often has poor control and throws too many pitches. I have always liked Tony Watson and feel for him after last night's debacle.

In 2014, I believe he could have been the closer. For about 2/3rd's of last season, I think he also could have fulfilled the role. This year, it often seems to be a gamble regarding how he will perform, regardless if it is the 7th, the 8th or the 9th inning. After last night, Clint will need to try something different in the 9th. Unfortunately, Rivero won't be ready to go tonight. Not sure where they can turn, but I'm also not sure that it really matters all that much with the team's record below .500.

The bullpen is going to be a real challenge for NH to assemble next year. Rivero clearly will have a role, but after him, it seems like real guess work.

Heartbreaking loss last night. I would rather a loss like this occur on the road.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

547870777C5B6C7A6A190 wrote: I managed to fall asleep while watching the recording of the game somewhere around the 5th.  Unfortunately, I awoke to see that the Pirates were winning 6-5 in the bottom of the 8th. 

It was great to see Watson get the first two outs and then to go 0-2 on Carpenter.  Lefty vs. Lefty, I thought we had a chance.  Sadly, Watson surrendered the home run to Carpenter and then had a total meltdown.

The Pirates would not have had the success that they had in 2013, 2014 and 2015 without Tony Watson being on the team.  He was nearly always dependable, although he did start to show some cracks in the armor last year, but this year, he has been all too hittable.  He also often has poor control and throws too many pitches.  I have always liked Tony Watson and feel for him after last night's debacle.

In 2014, I believe he could have been the closer.  For about 2/3rd's of last season, I think he also could have fulfilled the role.  This year, it often seems to be a gamble regarding how he will perform, regardless if it is the 7th, the 8th or the 9th inning.   After last night, Clint will need to try something different in the 9th.  Unfortunately, Rivero won't be ready to go tonight.  Not sure where they can turn, but I'm also not sure that it really matters all that much with the team's record below .500. 

The bullpen is going to be a real challenge for NH to assemble next year.  Rivero clearly will have a role, but after him, it seems like real guess work.   

Heartbreaking loss last night. I would rather a loss like this occur on the road.      

Watson's velocity is down this year and as a result , he's not as effective as he was in 2014 -2015. Who is the closer in 2017 ? Is he on our roster ?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Watson is not going anywhere. But I started another thread on why I think he shouldn't be the Closer next year.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2B20282421203B7E780F362E272020612C204F0 wrote: Watson is not going anywhere.  But I started another thread on why I think he shouldn't be the Closer next year.

I just watched reply of Carpenter's homer. WTH was he doing swinging for fences on an 0-2 pitch? Clear that Watson and Cervelli knew it was gone right away. Any talk of whether Watson was trying to throw a strike? You would expect him to be trying to throw something a little off the plate to see if hitter would chase.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Fastball as called up and in. It wasn't up and in far enough. Stewart was the catcher.

I agree. Slider in the dirt is a harder pitch to drive out of the ballpark.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: Fastball as called up and in.  It wasn't up and in far enough.  Stewart was the catcher. 

I agree.  Slider in the dirt is a harder pitch to drive out of the ballpark. 

thanks, I forgot about Stewart catching. Still can't believe he threw a batting practice type pitch in that situation. Carpenter deserves credit for hitting it out. He must have been shocked to see that pitch.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

414650585641060A73545E525A5F1D505C5E330 wrote: So if Watson does that in the 8th, it's ok?

It just comes down to the players who were counted on have not had seasons that were expected. Watson has been part of that group too.

Ill just say it again - I can not imagine ANY other team that's in a playoff race trading it's proven closer.  It made no sense in July and now we're paying the price for a gamble. 

We can say that a lot of players have not preformed. We can also say that this has been a terrible year for the FO - their moves to rewrite baseball economics are proving to be costly.

It is a bit of both but I think more on the players. I must say I had great confidence in Neal but my confidence is not as strong as it used to be. I still don't understand the Liriano trade. I like Nova but I think we overpaid. He obviously got hosed on the Walker trade. He has done others things well-the bench, the Melancon trade-Rivero could be a stud- (although it was a risk to trade the closer and hand the reins over mid-season and it has burned us), but when it comes down to it the Pirates would be 5-6 games better if we had the Cutch of previous seasons playing for us. Liriano was terrible. Cole was solid in the first half, but got hurt and came back as Kip Wells. Josh Harrison at 2nd has been regretful-partly front office and partly him. The fact is there is a lot to sort out after this season!