The Bench for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

The Bench for 2017

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Rob Biertempfel‏Verified account @BiertempfelTrib 48m48 minutes ago

#Pirates have told teams that RH reliever Jared Hughes and INF Alen Hanson (out of options) are available.
johnfluharty

The Bench for 2017

Post by johnfluharty »

I will be shocked if anyone wants Hughes at this point.
CTBucco

The Bench for 2017

Post by CTBucco »

72404C4C586A49404D484740210 wrote: Rob Biertempfel‏Verified account @BiertempfelTrib 48m48 minutes ago

#Pirates have told teams that RH reliever Jared Hughes and INF Alen Hanson (out of options) are available.

That probably makes Hanson the odd man out when Kang returns. And other GMs will know that and offer very little. Maybe he can be bundled with Bastardo for a better return.

If Hughes goes, who gets his spot in the BP? I doubt they'd give it to Santana without a bit more AAA seasoning.
Bobster21

The Bench for 2017

Post by Bobster21 »

They've probably been trying to trade Hughes all winter. Seems odd they would say Hanson is available since Kang's absence seems to put him on the bench.

I think Hughes was replaced when they obtained Hudson. Between Hudson, Rivero and Watson they have innings 7-9 covered with Nicasio pitching earlier innings as needed. I still believe Hutchison will be handed the #5 role but if I'm wrong, he's another RHP in the pen as he's out of options. Schugel is another RH option.
mouse

The Bench for 2017

Post by mouse »

I would agree about teams not being too interested in Hughes. He's not shown well this spring. I would think he will need to show he can still get people out before there'll be much interest.
SammyKhalifa

The Bench for 2017

Post by SammyKhalifa »

557875646372652526170 wrote: They've probably been trying to trade Hughes all winter. Seems odd they would say Hanson is available since Kang's absence seems to put him on the bench.

I think Hughes was replaced when they obtained Hudson. Between Hudson, Rivero and Watson they have innings 7-9 covered with Nicasio pitching earlier innings as needed. I still believe Hutchison will be handed the #5 role but if I'm wrong, he's another RHP in the pen as he's out of options. Schugel is another RH option. 

That all seems reasonable. Dark Horse rotation candidate Travis Williams had a really nice outing today though.

I just noticed that some of our nicest ST performances have been guys we're counting on for the bench/replacing Kang. Jaso, Freese, Hanson, Frasier, Gosselin are our hottest hitters right now.
Bobster21

The Bench for 2017

Post by Bobster21 »

50626E6E7A486B626F6A6562030 wrote: They've probably been trying to trade Hughes all winter. Seems odd they would say Hanson is available since Kang's absence seems to put him on the bench.

That all seems reasonable.  Dark Horse rotation candidate Travis Williams had a really nice outing today though.

I just noticed that some of our nicest ST performances have been guys we're counting on for the bench/replacing Kang.  Jaso, Freese, Hanson, Frasier, Gosselin are our hottest hitters right now. 
Yes, Williams is another candidate. Schugel is no lock. They may also want to hold onto Webb even tho he's another LHP. But if they keep Webb I suspect probably Bastardo or possibly Watson won't be around long.