The Bench for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

The Bench for 2017

Post by DemDog »

Who do you guys think will end up making the Bucs as bench players and pinch hitters.

My list starts with Freese, Fraser and Jaso as locks. From there on it is a toss up to me.

Do they keep Hanson due to no more options? Where do Gosselin and Bostick go?

Who will be the 4th OF? Could it be Fraser?

Are there any sleepers out there you think might stick?
SammyKhalifa

The Bench for 2017

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Won't Freese be the starting third baseman? If so that would open up a slot.

Besides the ones you said, I also think Gosselin has a better than average chance of making it. They traded for him in order to fill a specific niche.
Bobster21

The Bench for 2017

Post by Bobster21 »

I think the season stars with a bench of Stewart, Gosselin, Frazier, Jaso and Hanson. If/when Kang returns and Freese is pushed to the bench, Hanson would be the likely candidate to go unless he's having a super season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Bench for 2017

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: I think the season stars with a bench of Stewart, Gosselin, Frazier, Jaso and Hanson. If/when Kang returns and Freese is pushed to the bench, Hanson would be the likely candidate to go unless he's having a super season.

I agree too.

Gosselin is a lock. Kang's situation opens the door for Hanson. Frazier will be the super sub if he is hitting (not a good fielder). Stewart is the back up catcher. Jaso is owed $4 million, he is staying.
fjk090852-7

The Bench for 2017

Post by fjk090852-7 »

You guys are on target with Stewart, Frazier, Jaso, Gooslin and Hanson. Whenever Kang returns my guess would be Hanson would be DFA unless he is playing as they thought he would whenever he was rated as one of their top prospects.
CTBucco

The Bench for 2017

Post by CTBucco »

3834356E676E666B6C73695E0 wrote: You guys are on target with Stewart, Frazier, Jaso, Gooslin and Hanson. Whenever Kang returns my guess would be Hanson would be DFA unless he is playing as they thought he would whenever he was rated as one of their top prospects.
Unless they think they have a better chance of sneaking Hanson through while other teams are trying to cut down their rosters. So, maybe they cut him earlier trying to keep him.

I'd love to see them find a new home for Jaso. He seems like a good guy, but I'd rather they give the spot to Osuna. He can play the positions Jaso does at least as well as Jaso does. He should hit as well. He can be the 4th OFer and spell Bell at 1st against tough LHPs. We'd lose a LH bench bat and veteranosity, but we'd get Osuna some MLB experience and have one power bat on the bench. That said, it's an aggressive jump for Osuna who may not be ready despite his ST performance.
DemDog

The Bench for 2017

Post by DemDog »

7B6C7A4D5B5B57380 wrote: You guys are on target with Stewart, Frazier, Jaso, Gooslin and Hanson. Whenever Kang returns my guess would be Hanson would be DFA unless he is playing as they thought he would whenever he was rated as one of their top prospects.
Unless they think they have a better chance of sneaking Hanson through while other teams are trying to cut down their rosters. So, maybe they cut him earlier trying to keep him.

I'd love to see them find a new home for Jaso. He seems like a good guy, but I'd rather they give the spot to Osuna. He can play the positions Jaso does at least as well as Jaso does. He should hit as well. He can be the 4th OFer and spell Bell at 1st against tough LHPs. We'd lose a LH bench bat and veteranosity, but we'd get Osuna some MLB experience and have one power bat on the bench. That said, it's an aggressive jump for Osuna who may not be ready despite his ST performance.

Dont know where Osuna goes if he is sent down. AAA maybe and if that is so let him gain a bit more experience against better pitching and then at some point later in the season if he is doing okay move Jaso and bring up Osuna. Have to see what P2 says about Osuna before I put that statement in stone.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Bench for 2017

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Osuna should go down and play the outfield. He can be the first call up if there is an injury.

The Pirates can't / won't start Meadows' clock unless it is a serious injury to an outfielder.
fjk090852-7

The Bench for 2017

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Osuna is 2 for 2 tonight with another RBI. I know you are supposed to discount spring training stats, but I am sure Osuna is beginning to open eyes of the Bucs brass as well as scouts from other teams.
JollyRoger

The Bench for 2017

Post by JollyRoger »

7C6B7D4A5C5C503F0 wrote: You guys are on target with Stewart, Frazier, Jaso, Gooslin and Hanson. Whenever Kang returns my guess would be Hanson would be DFA unless he is playing as they thought he would whenever he was rated as one of their top prospects.

Totally agree about Osuna. We really need to take the best team North. Jaso is a nice guy but Osuna is > than Jaso