Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

The number of free agent starters continues to dwindle. If BC is being honest in his desire to add a veteran starter, he should be acting soon.
Ecbucs

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by Ecbucs »

143830373C1B2C3A2A590 wrote: Chase Anderson

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Chris Archer

Jake Arrieta

Homer Bailey

Trevor Baeur

Trevor Cahill

Mike Fiers

Mike Folkynewiecz (sp)

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Felix Hernandez

Rich Hill

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

James Paxton

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

The number of free agent starters continues to dwindle.  If BC is being honest in his desire to add a veteran starter, he should be acting soon. 

he is looking for veteran cheap starter that will play for the Pirates. I don't think the Pirates are going to outbid anyone.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

456961666D4A7D6B7B080 wrote: Chase Anderson

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Chris Archer

Jake Arrieta

Homer Bailey

Trevor Baeur

Trevor Cahill

Mike Fiers

Mike Folkynewiecz (sp)

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Felix Hernandez

Rich Hill

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

James Paxton

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

The number of free agent starters continues to dwindle.  If BC is being honest in his desire to add a veteran starter, he should be acting soon. 
I agree. This list is getting much smaller. There are a few pitchers remaining who I would hope the Pirates could bring on board. As we all are aware it takes both sides to get a deal done. There could be pitchers that have signed with other teams that the Pirates attempted to sign. Hopefully in the next couple days the Pirates will sign a pitcher or two, and a bench player.
PMike

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by PMike »

2C00080F0423140212610 wrote: Chase Anderson

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Chris Archer

Jake Arrieta

Homer Bailey

Trevor Baeur

Trevor Cahill

Mike Fiers

Mike Folkynewiecz (sp)

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Felix Hernandez

Rich Hill

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

James Paxton

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

Can you imagine if the Pirates signed Arrieta? It would be really hard to cheer for him.
Javy

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by Javy »

It WOULD be hard to root for him based on that WCG. But, for me, it would be even harder after watching him for the last 3 years pitching for the Phillies, and seeing him get hammered most of the time. He's shot, in my opinion.

The 2 guys I'd rather see them sign are Walker and Teheran. At least with them, there's some upside potential that they rebound and are attractive enough to garner some return at the deadline.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs have signed a catcher and an outfielder today, so now we need to add a starting pitcher or two before ST begins next week.
SCBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

333F3E656C656D60677862550 wrote: The Bucs have signed a catcher and an outfielder today, so now we need to add a starting pitcher or two before ST begins next week.

I would add two starters and at least one bullpen arm. There are options available.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Several free agent outfielders were signed today including Omar Mazara, Billy Hamilton and Jon Jay. It was good that the Pirates moved quickly today to get Brian Goodwin signed.
MaineBucs

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by MaineBucs »

I am generally a patient person. I also believe that BC is on the right path (in reality, it is the only one available to him). That said, it is now February 13, spring training is about to start, and the Pirates have little starting pitching.

The Official Pirate Site lists 7 pitchers who they identify as starting options for the Pirates on the current roster, including 4 of last year's holdovers in Kuhl, Brault, Brubaker and Keller; Ponce who started a game or two last year; and two new guys, Crowe and Yagure; neither of whom has ever started a major league game.

BC must act soon to add at least one starter with at least some MLB experience and another option or two who can pitch at AAA and who can be recalled when the inevitable injuries happen. Perhaps the previously released Holmes is one of those less than ideal options, but few teams, if any, can make it through a season relying on 7 starters; particularly considering the past injury histories of Keller, Kuhl and Brault, and the inexperience of everyone else.

At present, it doesn't look like a trade of Frazier is in the offing (not many more teams looking for 2nd basemen), thus, there is no more salary that BC realistically can shed to free up some funds to pay a starter. Hoping that BC can make an argument that Nutting will hear and that he is given a few more dollars to work with to bring in someone who can suck up some innings. The options are getting pretty thin.

Bucs may need to carry 14 pitchers on the 26 man roster next year just so they have enough warm bodies between the starters and relievers to make it through a week's worth of games. Disappointing to say the least.
Bobster21

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by Bobster21 »

0F232B2C2700372131420 wrote: I am generally a patient person.  I also believe that BC is on the right path  (in reality, it is the only one available to him).   That said, it is now February 13, spring training is about to start, and the Pirates have little starting pitching. 

The Official Pirate Site lists 7 pitchers who they identify as starting options for the Pirates on the current roster, including 4 of last year's holdovers in Kuhl, Brault, Brubaker and Keller; Ponce who started a game or two last year; and two new guys, Crowe and Yagure; neither of whom has ever started a major league game.

BC must act soon to add at least one starter with at least some MLB experience and another option or two who can pitch at AAA and who can be recalled when the inevitable injuries happen.  Perhaps the previously released Holmes is one of those less than ideal options, but few teams, if any, can make it through a season relying on 7 starters; particularly considering the past injury histories of Keller, Kuhl and Brault, and the inexperience of everyone else.

At present, it doesn't look like a trade of Frazier is in the offing (not many more teams looking for 2nd basemen), thus, there is no more salary that BC realistically can shed to free up some funds to pay a starter.   Hoping that BC can make an argument that Nutting will hear and that he is given a few more dollars to work with to bring in someone who can suck up some innings.  The options are getting pretty thin.

Bucs may need to carry 14 pitchers on the 26 man roster next year just so they have enough warm bodies between the starters and relievers to make it through a week's worth of games.  Disappointing to say the least.          
Frazier is versatile enough that he wouldn't necessarily have to traded to a team looking for a 2Bman. He could also play OF, probably 3B or be a super sub. Another possible SP is RHP Chase De Jong (minor league contract). He's started a handful of games for Seattle, Minnesota and Houston. But his stats are not impressive.