The Bucs And Free Agents

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We could be about 2 weeks away from pitchers and catchers reporting to ST. Recently Ben C. said that the Pirates are looking for a least one starting pitcher, or maybe 2, and a fourth outfielder. At this time there is not a single rumor regarding the signing of a free agent by the Pirates. I am sure many players would prefer to sign with another team since the Pirates will probably be last in the Central Division. There are still some mid level free agent pitchers and outfielders on the free agent market, but as each day goes by the list becomes less attractive. I hope they can sign someone soon so the pitcher can give them quality innings, and the outfielder is someone who has the potential to play everyday if an injury would happen to one of the 3 staring outfielders.
Bobster21

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by Bobster21 »

5F5352090009010C0B140E390 wrote: We could be about 2 weeks away from pitchers and catchers reporting to ST. Recently Ben C. said that the Pirates are looking for a least one starting pitcher, or maybe 2, and a fourth outfielder. At this time there is not a single rumor regarding the signing of a free agent by the Pirates. I am sure many players would prefer to sign with another team since the Pirates will probably be last in the Central Division. There are still some mid level free agent pitchers and outfielders on the free agent market, but as each day goes by the list becomes less attractive. I hope they can sign someone soon so the pitcher can give them quality innings, and the outfielder is someone who has the potential to play everyday if an injury would happen to one of the 3 staring outfielders.
Any FA who signs with the Pirates will be receiving a minimal FA contract to play on a terrible team. So naturally, no FA will consider the Pirates until he is certain no one else will come calling. So even if the Pirates are searching, they won't sign anyone until the last minute when most teams have their rosters set while a few unsigned free agents will take any deal just to play and hope to be traded at the deadline or at least make themselves more in demand to other teams the following year. I look for BC to sign a few 3rd tier FAs around the beginning of ST.
MaineBucs

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by MaineBucs »

Just took a look at the MLB Trade Rumors site to see who was left as starting pitchers. Somewhat surprisingly, I believe there are 28 starting pitchers who remain on their list. With few exceptions, most notably Trevor Baeur, most of the pitchers have quite a few warts.

Following is the list that I identified:

Chase Anderson

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Chris Archer

Jake Arrieta

Homer Bailey

Trevor Baeur

Trevor Cahill

Mike Fiers

Mike Folkynewiecz (sp)

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Felix Hernandez

Rich Hill

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

James Paxton

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

So, out of this list,

1) Who do you believe the Bucs may try to pursue, and

2) Who do you believe would consent to pitching for Pittsburgh?

While I have no clue regarding both questions, I am going to guess Teheran, LeBlanc, and one of the Anderson's.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Delino DeShields signed with the Rangers today. I thought maybe he could be one of the free agent outfielders who the Pirates might pursue. A couple other outfielders the Pirates might attempt to sign could be Ben Gamel, Brian Goodwin or Kevin Pillar.

WildwoodDave2

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3C30316A636A626F68776D5A0 wrote: Delino DeShields signed with the Rangers today. I thought maybe he could be one of the free agent outfielders who the Pirates might pursue. A couple other outfielders the Pirates might attempt to sign could be Ben Gamel, Brian Goodwin or Kevin Pillar.

Any possibility of Archer returning?
johnfluharty

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by johnfluharty »

He's the type of player he would probably be looking to sign since he's a bounce back candidate but I'd rather look for a different bounce back candidate one we are or not used to seeing lose a lot.
SyrBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SyrBucco »

757978232A232B26213E24130 wrote: Delino DeShields signed with the Rangers today. I thought maybe he could be one of the free agent outfielders who the Pirates might pursue. A couple other outfielders the Pirates might attempt to sign could be Ben Gamel, Brian Goodwin or Kevin Pillar.

From your lips to God's ears!
SyrBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SyrBucco »

113D3532391E293F2F5C0 wrote: Just took a look at the MLB Trade Rumors site to see who was left as starting pitchers.  Somewhat surprisingly, I believe there are 28 starting pitchers who remain on their list.   With few exceptions, most notably Trevor Baeur, most of the pitchers have quite a few warts.

Chase Anderson

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Chris Archer

Jake Arrieta

Homer Bailey

Trevor Baeur

Trevor Cahill

Mike Fiers

Mike Folkynewiecz (sp)

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Felix Hernandez

Rich Hill

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

James Paxton

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

So, out of this list,

1)  Who do you believe the Bucs may try to pursue, and

2)  Who do you believe would consent to pitching for Pittsburgh?   

While I have no clue regarding both questions, I am going to guess Teheran, LeBlanc, and one of the Anderson's.
Rumbunter had a good article the other day on KBO lefty Heong-Jong Yang. We got lucky with a Korean player before. I think we should try again.
SCBucco

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

012D2522290E392F3F4C0 wrote: Just took a look at the MLB Trade Rumors site to see who was left as starting pitchers.  Somewhat surprisingly, I believe there are 28 starting pitchers who remain on their list.   With few exceptions, most notably Trevor Baeur, most of the pitchers have quite a few warts.

Chase Anderson

Tyler Anderson

Brett Anderson

Chris Archer

Jake Arrieta

Homer Bailey

Trevor Baeur

Trevor Cahill

Mike Fiers

Mike Folkynewiecz (sp)

Zack Godfrey

Gio Gonzalez

Cole Hamels

Felix Hernandez

Rich Hill

Wade LeBlanc

Mike Leake

Tommy Milone

Jake Ordozzi

James Paxton

Rick Porcello

Tyson Ross

Jeff Smardezja (sp)

Anibal Sanchez

Matt Shoemaker

Julio Teheran

Tajuan Walker

Jordan Zimmerman

So, out of this list,

1)  Who do you believe the Bucs may try to pursue, and

2)  Who do you believe would consent to pitching for Pittsburgh?   

I loved the inclusion of Bauer.

LeBlanc, Archer have signed elsewhere.

I would try to sign two that have some degree of success and if they recover it, they can be dealt at the TDL for more assets.

I would add Collin McHugh to the list of someone to approach. He has that type of resume that can get something decent at the tDL. Brad Peacock is another. He is the ultimate swing guy that can start or relieve.

I'd look at Folty (can't spell his name), Leake, Paxton and Walker.
fjk090852-7

The Bucs And Free Agents

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Several free agent pitchers have signed this week, and the Pirates have stood pat. I know it is going to be a difficult season, but they need to sign at least one veteran starting pitcher to eat some innings to save the bullpen guys arms.