Is Jordy injured?/Game thread 7/6

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

very nice win and great to see Kuhl come through with 7 pretty good innings. Longest he has gone this season.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Great to see Polanco break out with what was probably his best game of the season ... 4-4 with a HR.

Hurdle will make sure he gets a good rest tomorrow. And he'll move J-Hay to RF because he needs to work Moroff into the lineup. And of course Stewart will be catching.

Good win tonight. But this team needs a lot more ... and the next 3 will not be easy.

SpeedyG

Post by SpeedyG »

How is Kuhl so hittable?

This is the first I've seen of him and I only caught the last couple of innings of his work. But, even with that velocity, it doesn't seem like he overpowers hitters. Batters look pretty comfortable in the box against him.

His off speed stuff doesn't seem fantastic, but you would still think that he would be able to do more with that 99 mph heat to limit the hits a bit.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

252E262A2F2E357076013820292E2E6F222E410 wrote: Because he is going to pull that outside pitch softly compared to an inside pitch. It's harder to pull an outside pitch.

Back to the game, Kuhl is in trouble. Two lefties warming up in the pen.

I guess we just disagree. But in my mind, I pitch to the side of the plate where i want him to hit it. Baseball 101 is you pull an inside pitch and hit an outside one to the opposite field. The way you induce weak contact is with stuff. So, if I'm shifting to the pull side, I pitch down and in. That pitch gets pulled, but 9 times out of 10, gets pulled on the ground, where I've got three fielders.

On the AB in question, they pitched him away, and the batter went with the pitch, right to where the second baseman would normally be playing. I'm a fan of shifts, but it just makes sense to me that your pitcher would try to work that side of the plate in order to induce the batter to hit into the shift.
mouse

Post by mouse »

This came up on one of the recent games. One of the announcers made the same observation and either Walk or Blass said most of the time the guy will pull the ball regardless of where it's pitched, and by pitching outside you get weaker contact. Didn't make a lot of sense to me either, but I guess there are batters who just cannot (or will not) take the easy single.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

When Cutch was in his prolonged funk, he was trying to pull everything, so every pitcher pitched him outside, knowing he would end up hitting the ball weakly to third base or short.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

4E46457264416669070 wrote: Because he is going to pull that outside pitch softly compared to an inside pitch. It's harder to pull an outside pitch.

Back to the game, Kuhl is in trouble. Two lefties warming up in the pen.

I guess we just disagree.  But in my mind, I pitch to the side of the plate where i want him to hit it.  Baseball 101 is you pull an inside pitch and hit an outside one to the opposite field.  The way you induce weak contact is with stuff.  So, if I'm shifting to the pull side, I pitch down and in. That pitch gets pulled, but 9 times out of 10, gets pulled on the ground, where I've got three fielders.

On the AB in question, they pitched him away, and the batter went with the pitch, right to where the second baseman would normally be playing.  I'm a fan of shifts, but it just makes sense to me that your pitcher would try to work that side of the plate in order to induce the batter to hit into the shift.

You are exactly correct. I have no idea why they would've pitched outside in that situation. It invited an easy base hit.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The batter should go with the pitch, but like wvbucco and mouse pointed out, they either can't or don't.

Since they are trying to pull everything, you pitch outside since they will roll over their hands and hit a soft contact to the left side of the infield. If the batter starts going with the pitch, I am sure the shift will change and maybe be pitched to a little differently.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Who was at the plate? We can look up his tendencies. I bet if we did we'd see that he pulls 90% of the time. Using the shift at all is inviting the batter to choke up and chip the ball into the gaping hole that the shift has created, yet most of the time this does not happen.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

636661676F657C61687B7D70090 wrote: Who was at the plate?  We can look up his tendencies.  I bet if we did we'd see that he pulls 90% of the time.  Using the shift at all is inviting the batter to choke up and chip the ball into the gaping hole that the shift has created, yet most of the time this does not happen. 
Yes you are correct that most of the time they don't, that is because they are pitched in to invite pulling the ball into the shift.