Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Aaron »

69606879770D0 wrote: 2018 is a real possibility of having a good baseball team in Pittsburgh again,

No. No, it's not.

Sure it is.   We have 3 quality starters, need to add another.  We need Kang and Marte back and we need an Outfielder.

Our projected payroll must be like 70-80 million next year or something ridiculous.  We will need to actually spend that $40 mil instead of pumping it back into team equity, but we have good bones for 2019, especially if NH can do a good job with trading Cutch in a month. 

I didn't realize that we were going to have a different owner and GM this offseason that'll put that plan into effect.

If we're going to have the same owner and GM, then I'm still saying that this team is not going to be good next year.
dmetz

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by dmetz »

2303100D0C620 wrote: 2018 is a real possibility of having a good baseball team in Pittsburgh again,

No. No, it's not.

Sure it is.   We have 3 quality starters, need to add another.  We need Kang and Marte back and we need an Outfielder.

Our projected payroll must be like 70-80 million next year or something ridiculous.  We will need to actually spend that $40 mil instead of pumping it back into team equity, but we have good bones for 2019, especially if NH can do a good job with trading Cutch in a month. 

I didn't realize that we were going to have a different owner and GM this offseason that'll put that plan into effect.

If we're going to have the same owner and GM, then I'm still saying that this team is not going to be good next year.

We may not have the same GM. We shouldn't.
Aaron

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Aaron »

69606879770D0 wrote:

We may not have the same GM.  We shouldn't.

Unless this team loses 95 plus games in back to back seasons, Neal isn't going anywhere.

If you're saying this team can be good next year with just a few simple moves that don't require big spending, why would Nutting fire NH?
Bobster21

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Bobster21 »

323B33222C560 wrote: 2018 is a real possibility of having a good baseball team in Pittsburgh again,

No. No, it's not.

Why would Nutting fire NH? NH does what he can while handcuffed by the edict not to spend money, which includes not acquiring players with market value contracts. Nutting has to know that no GM will do much better under the same constraints. Also, it will make Nutting look bad after anointing NH & Co. the best mgt team in baseball.
dmetz

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by dmetz »

2202110C0D630 wrote:

Unless this team loses 95 plus games in back to back seasons, Neal isn't going anywhere.

If you're saying this team can be good next year with just a few simple moves that don't require big spending, why would Nutting fire NH?

I'm not just saying it. I guarantee it. Kang and Marte back. Add a 15 million starter and a 15 million OF. Done.
Bobster21

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Bobster21 »

Here's an idea: :)

Ecbucs

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Ecbucs »

4E474F5E502A0 wrote:

I'm not just saying it.  I guarantee it.   Kang and Marte back. Add a 15 [highlight]5[/highlight] million starter and a 15 [highlight]5[/highlight] million OF.    Done.

fixed to what might be possible without raising total payroll.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Huntington isn't going anywhere. His three year playoff run has saved him a little longer. He is the GM that ended twenty years of losing. That shouldn't be overlooked. Not sure why people think he can't do it again?
Quail

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Quail »

606B636F6A6B703533447D656C6B6B2A676B040 wrote: Huntington isn't going anywhere. His three year playoff run has saved him a little longer. He is the GM that ended twenty years of losing. That shouldn't be overlooked. Not sure why people think he can't do it again?

Possibly because past performance is no guarantee of future success?
CTBucco

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by CTBucco »

060F071618620 wrote:

I'm not just saying it.  I guarantee it.   Kang and Marte back. Add a 15 million starter and a 15 million OF.    Done.
$15M starter = Liriano. $15M OFer = Cutch. Done. Playoffs, here we come. ::)