Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Without going outside the organization for bullpen help I would suggest these changes. First off Bastardo needs to come off his 30 day rehab in the next day or two. I would add him, and recall Brault and Kingham. I have been fan of LaBlanc from last year, but it may be time to release him. Hudson has options so the Bucs could send him to AAA. They have too much money invested in him to release him. Finally they can send Santana back to Indy. I would put Brault in the rotation and have Kuhl work out of the bullpen. Kuhl, Bastardo and Kingham would be additions to the bullpen.
CarolinaBucco

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I've been calling for Brault in the rotation for a while now.

Had not considered Kuhl to the bullpen though.

I think Brault as a starter and Kuhl to the pen could improve this pitching staff.

Something needs to be done because this team cannot compete over the long-term if we have to use Watson and Hudson every close game to help piece together the final 9 outs. Those guys are throwing BP right now.
dmetz

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by dmetz »

Relief ERA :4.09 5th in NL

Starter ERA: 4.53 7th in NL

Team ERA: 4.35 7th in NL.

Team Batting: 11th in Runs scored

Team fielding : 11th in defensive efficiency.

It's not the bullpen. It's not blowing any more games than anyone elses pen. It's mediocrity across the board.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Need to click together. Now that the offense is hitting the bullpen is struggling. They need to be at least mediocre at the same time and then they would be better.
Bobster21

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Bobster21 »

525B53424C360 wrote: Relief ERA :4.09 5th in NL

It's not the bullpen.   It's not blowing any more games than anyone elses pen.  It's mediocrity across the board.
Team HRs and SLG: 13th in NL.
SammyKhalifa

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by SammyKhalifa »

070E061719630 wrote: Relief ERA :4.09 5th in NL

It's not the bullpen.   It's not blowing any more games than anyone elses pen.  It's mediocrity across the board.

I agree, but it might be easier to improve the bullpen than the offense.
johnfluharty

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by johnfluharty »

I am reminded of the Joker's line from the first batman film "this town needs an enema".  Our bullpen needs one badly. 
dmetz

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by dmetz »

I'm just trying to point out that every aspect of this team is not good.   It's not like, "oh the starting pitching is really underperforming and is likely to snap back"   it's that we aren't a good baseball team in any facet of the game.   

We're bad baserunning, bad fielding, mediocre pitching, mediocre hitting (after Marte comes back).   The larger sample sizes say we aren't good.   In smaller samples, we vary between the worst team in baseball and a team that might compete, but so it goes with small samples.

It's all great that we're 5 games out of 1st place right now, but if this FO didn't "go for it" when we won 98 and needed a piece added, why on earth would anyone expect us not to trade Cutch at the deadline this year?   I hope he is traded, we're going nowhere and I don't believe the playoffs are crapshoot at all, despite the talking point repeated all the time.   

2018 is a real possibility of having a good baseball team in Pittsburgh again, but NH can't screw it up.   DON'T MISS on the cutch trade.

Crossing our fingers and hoping the other teams in our division stay lousy like us really isn't a strategy.  
Aaron

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by Aaron »

7E777F6E601A0 wrote: 2018 is a real possibility of having a good baseball team in Pittsburgh again,

No. No, it's not.
dmetz

Bullpen Needs an Upgrade

Post by dmetz »

4565766B6A040 wrote: 2018 is a real possibility of having a good baseball team in Pittsburgh again,

No. No, it's not.

Sure it is.   We have 3 quality starters, need to add another.  We need Kang and Marte back and we need an Outfielder.

Our projected payroll must be like 70-80 million next year or something ridiculous.  We will need to actually spend that $40 mil instead of pumping it back into team equity, but we have good bones for 2019, especially if NH can do a good job with trading Cutch in a month.