Bucs sign 16 yr old pitcher from San Marino

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7A2C3A2E213B2B202D3A082F25292124662B480 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

If he was the Italian Mickey Mantle and he was that bad, I could've at least been the Irish Abraham Nunez.
;D ;D ;D

Nunez was an interesting case. Good field/no hit but when he sent to St.L in 2005 he batted .285. The Phillies signed him as a FA the next year and saw the real Nunez as he batted .211. Absent 2005 his career BA was otherwise .233. With the Pirates he was a very good fielder and very weak hitter. So naturally Lloyd McClendon usually made him the first guy off the bench to pinch hit. Nunez had a ton of PH opportunities with 276 career PH ABs but only 42 hits for a PH BA of .152. And after he would make his automatic PH out, he was out of the game and unable to be used to his strength as late inning defense. Just another example of how a manager can make a bad team even worse with illogical decisions. 

I used to go ballistic when McLendon would constantly use Nunez to hit.  There was no way to justify it.  In fact, he shouldn't have even been on that team with the roster that bad.  His defense certainly wasn't needed because the team rarely had a lead late in a game.  I go back and forth as to who was the worst manager, McLendon or Russell.  It's hard for me to decide.

I go with Russell. At least McLendon had a pulse!

HAHA!  Russell could've been declared clinically dead on several occasions.

McClendon used to grossly overmanage every game. It seemed like he wanted to make every move he had ever seen managers make. So every game he made a ton of moves, many of which didn't seem logical and were counterproductive. I used to say that the Pirates would do better if McClendon just slept thru every game.

Russell seemed like he really was sleeping thru every game. But after McClendon, it seemed that doing nothing was better than doing everything wrong. So I think Russell was the better manager because 0 is a higher number than -5. :)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Getting back to the opening post, is anyone else reminded of the signing of the 16-year old Luis Heredia, and how we were told he was going to be incredible? Hope this isn't a repeat.
2drfischer@gmail.c

644944555243541417260 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

If he was the Italian Mickey Mantle and he was that bad, I could've at least been the Irish Abraham Nunez.
;D ;D ;D

Nunez was an interesting case. Good field/no hit but when he sent to St.L in 2005 he batted .285. The Phillies signed him as a FA the next year and saw the real Nunez as he batted .211. Absent 2005 his career BA was otherwise .233. With the Pirates he was a very good fielder and very weak hitter. So naturally Lloyd McClendon usually made him the first guy off the bench to pinch hit. Nunez had a ton of PH opportunities with 276 career PH ABs but only 42 hits for a PH BA of .152. And after he would make his automatic PH out, he was out of the game and unable to be used to his strength as late inning defense. Just another example of how a manager can make a bad team even worse with illogical decisions. 

I used to go ballistic when McLendon would constantly use Nunez to hit.  There was no way to justify it.  In fact, he shouldn't have even been on that team with the roster that bad.  His defense certainly wasn't needed because the team rarely had a lead late in a game.  I go back and forth as to who was the worst manager, McLendon or Russell.  It's hard for me to decide.

I go with Russell. At least McLendon had a pulse!

HAHA!  Russell could've been declared clinically dead on several occasions.

McClendon used to grossly overmanage every game. It seemed like he wanted to make every move he had ever seen managers make. So every game he made a ton of moves, many of which didn't seem logical and were counterproductive. I used to say that the Pirates would do better if McClendon just slept thru every game.

Russell seemed like he really was sleeping thru every game. But after McClendon, it seemed that doing nothing was better than doing everything wrong. So I think Russell was the better manager because 0 is a higher number than -5.  :)

Okay, you've convinced me. John Russell was the better manager. I can't believe I actually typed that.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

104650444B51414A475062454F434B4E0C41220 wrote: Getting back to the opening post, is anyone else reminded of the signing of the 16-year old Luis Heredia, and how we were told he was going to be incredible?  Hope this isn't a repeat.
Yes, I thought of Heredia when i read that.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

3365736768726269647341666C60686D2F62010 wrote: Getting back to the opening post, is anyone else reminded of the signing of the 16-year old Luis Heredia, and how we were told he was going to be incredible?  Hope this isn't a repeat.
Oh yeah. He was a frontline name in defense of NH for certain fellow on the old PMB. Heredia blowing up contributed to the epic meltdowns we saw from you know who (hint: kovies cart paryner and future hip breaker)
2drfischer@gmail.c

507671646D61766068030 wrote: Getting back to the opening post, is anyone else reminded of the signing of the 16-year old Luis Heredia, and how we were told he was going to be incredible?  Hope this isn't a repeat.
Oh yeah. He was a frontline name in defense of NH for certain fellow on the old PMB. Heredia blowing up contributed to the epic meltdowns we saw from you know who (hint: kovies cart paryner and future hip breaker)

I don't quite remember that but I'm sure you're right. Alvy never met a Huntington move he didn't like.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm assuming there's never been a MLB player from San Marino before. Why not I say.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

15272B2B3F0D2E272A2F2027460 wrote: I'm assuming there's never been a MLB player from San Marino before.  Why not I say.
Wasn't Dan Marino from San Marino? :D
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

7F4D41415567444D40454A4D2C0 wrote: I'm assuming there's never been a MLB player from San Marino before.  Why not I say.

I'm guessing a soccer ball beats the hell out of a baseball in San Marino.
Javy

Post by Javy »

It certainly did in India!