Bucs sign 16 yr old pitcher from San Marino

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Per John Dreker at PBN

The Pittsburgh Pirates signed 16-year-old right-handed pitcher Alessandro Ercolani out of San Marino on Friday morning. He will report to Pirate City in Bradenton in May.

Ercolani was among a group of players from foreign countries who came to the U.S. in October of 2019 for a ten-day academy in Arizona. Pirates high-profile signing Solomon Maguire was also in that group and he signed four months later. Ercolani wasn’t eligible to sign until this January when the 2021 signing period started. During that time in Arizona, he turned some heads by striking out Arizona State’s Spencer Torkelson on three pitches. Torkelson was the first overall pick in the 2020 draft.

Ercolani pitched at the highest level in Italy in 2020, playing for San Marino of the Italian Baseball League, where he had 11 strikeouts in 6.2 innings. He had an extensive record of success prior to that while playing for Italy’s U15 National team.

Ercolani, who turns 17 later this month, has a fastball that current sits in the 86-91 MPH range. He also has a mid-70s curve and a changeup that shows advanced feel and good separation from his fastball in the mid-70s. He has very good arm speed, which should lead to more velocity in the future as he continues to grow. He’s 6’2″, 175 pounds.

Pirates European scout Tom Gillespie has been following Ercolani for over two years and he was the signing scout. He gave a quote to the local press at the signing, saying “We liked his motivation, his stubbornness, his way of facing and overcoming challenges. The next step is to mentally grow and improve his throwing repertoire ”.

Ercolani was being trained by Bill Holmberg, who was born in the U.S., but he spent many years coaching baseball in Italy. He was in the game in various roles for 44 years after college until his passing in November of 2020.

San Marino is a country of just 33,600 people, which has never produced an MLB player.

Dreker does not mention the amount of his signing bonus.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Pittsburgh Pirates: First in ballparks, first in signing players from countries no one else has, last in the NL Central.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

About time we got a stud from Italy. It's a breeding ground for ML talent . Joe DiMaggio would be a great example ? Uh... maybe not.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5A777A6B6C7D6A2A29180 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

If he was the Italian Mickey Mantle and he was that bad, I could've at least been the Irish Abraham Nunez.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

085E485C534959525F487A5D575B535614593A0 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

If he was the Italian Mickey Mantle and he was that bad, I could've at least been the Irish Abraham Nunez.
;D ;D ;D

Nunez was an interesting case. Good field/no hit but when he sent to St.L in 2005 he batted .285. The Phillies signed him as a FA the next year and saw the real Nunez as he batted .211. Absent 2005 his career BA was otherwise .233. With the Pirates he was a very good fielder and very weak hitter. So naturally Lloyd McClendon usually made him the first guy off the bench to pinch hit. Nunez had a ton of PH opportunities with 276 career PH ABs but only 42 hits for a PH BA of .152. And after he would make his automatic PH out, he was out of the game and unable to be used to his strength as late inning defense. Just another example of how a manager can make a bad team even worse with illogical decisions.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

;D ;D ;D

Nunez was an interesting case. Good field/no hit but when he sent to St.L in 2005 he batted .285. The Phillies signed him as a FA the next year and saw the real Nunez as he batted .211. Absent 2005 his career BA was otherwise .233. With the Pirates he was a very good fielder and very weak hitter. So naturally Lloyd McClendon usually made him the first guy off the bench to pinch hit. Nunez had a ton of PH opportunities with 276 career PH ABs but only 42 hits for a PH BA of .152. And after he would make his automatic PH out, he was out of the game and unable to be used to his strength as late inning defense. Just another example of how a manager can make a bad team even worse with illogical decisions. 
And don’t forget that Nunez was Animal’s favorite player!
2drfischer@gmail.c

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

;D ;D ;D

I used to go ballistic when McLendon would constantly use Nunez to hit. There was no way to justify it. In fact, he shouldn't have even been on that team with the roster that bad. His defense certainly wasn't needed because the team rarely had a lead late in a game. I go back and forth as to who was the worst manager, McLendon or Russell. It's hard for me to decide.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

104650444B51414A475062454F434B4E0C41220 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

;D ;D ;D

I used to go ballistic when McLendon would constantly use Nunez to hit.  There was no way to justify it.  In fact, he shouldn't have even been on that team with the roster that bad.  His defense certainly wasn't needed because the team rarely had a lead late in a game.  I go back and forth as to who was the worst manager, McLendon or Russell.  It's hard for me to decide.

I go with Russell. At least McLendon had a pulse!
2drfischer@gmail.c

07393C34273F3F341431263562500 wrote: I hope he's better than Roberto Gandini, "the Italian Mickey Mantle" who paid his own way to and from America to try out for the Bucs in spring training 1960. But he returned to Italy without a contract offer.

;D ;D ;D

I used to go ballistic when McLendon would constantly use Nunez to hit.  There was no way to justify it.  In fact, he shouldn't have even been on that team with the roster that bad.  His defense certainly wasn't needed because the team rarely had a lead late in a game.  I go back and forth as to who was the worst manager, McLendon or Russell.  It's hard for me to decide.

I go with Russell. At least McLendon had a pulse!

HAHA! Russell could've been declared clinically dead on several occasions.