Crick injured in fight with Vazquez

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4C40411A131A121F18071D2A0 wrote: Just reading some other sites and the fight between Crick, and Vázquez is a headline on Yahoo and MLB. I think it is sad, and embarrassing that our baseball team gets this negative publicity. It is time for this ownership group to make some changes so that on a national basis people can read positive articles about the Pirates Organization as well as their players.

Maybe Boston is looking better and better to NH. This might be the only story on Fox News about the Pirates this season:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pittsbur ... h-teammate
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

040809525B525A57504F55620 wrote: Crick was also suspended for something he did in the brawl with the Reds in there brawl a while back. Might he be a bad apple since this is the third incident now reported, who knows he may have been involved in more!
Maybe, but the common denominator in all of these clubhouse issues seems to be vasquez
Just my two cents worth, but Crick has probably pitched his last game for the Pirates. If he could return to his 2018 pitching, he and Kela could make a nice trade package. A team could acquire a late inning pitcher, and a closer. If so, I wonder what type of return you would get ?
I don't think Crick will ever return to his 2018 pitching. Throughout his pro career he has always had poor control. His career BB/9 is 5.7 including both major and minor leagues. Prior to 2018 his career best BB/9 was 4.0 at Sacramento. But as a Pirate last year he had a very uncharacteristic 3.4 BB/9. That's about league average. But it was definitely an outlier in his career and we saw this year that he could not sustain it and returned to the very poor control that has always plagued him. This is his 9th year in pro ball and his BB/9 has usually exceeded 5.0. Most of us were unfamiliar with Crick when he became a Pirate last year so his average frequency of walks did not draw attention. But now we know that was a fluke for him. He's a reliever who creates his own jams by putting runners on base via walks and then gives up HRs when he falls behind in the count. I suspect his MLB career will be brief.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Last year Crick, on his own (before Reynolds bursting on the scene), made the McCutchen trade look like a win for the Pirates. He was the type of 7th - 8th inning pitcher that teams crave to have pitch in front of their closer.

This year he has basically regressed into Never-ask territory. When he enters a game he is always ready to deliver an ill-timed walk or a home run and to sink the team's likelihood of winning a game.

I don't know anything about the inner workings of the Pirates' club-house and dugout. And, perhaps Vasquez is a bit of a prima donna. That said, Vasquez has earned most of his chops by being successful, and by doing so quite regularly. While no team should condone the antics of one player who may be putting another down, I don't see how the Bucs can co-exist with both Vasquez and Crick on the same roster. A one time dust up is one thing, but this is at least the second time this year between the two that things have not gone well.

Crick likely has little trade value, but he also doesn't have much value to the Bucs as a pitcher, even if the Bucs would choose to trade Vasquez to try and rebuild the pitching staff. In short, take what you can get for Crick, even if it is only a paltry amount of international slot money. And, if he suddenly reemerges with another team next year, don't look back.

If nothing else, we now know that there is at least a little bit of fight left in this team, even if it is only fighting between teammates.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I've gotta say this about Vazquez.  As good as he is right now I let him do his thing.  If he is successful it will be worth it.  The only caveat I have about Vazquez is that he not become an Antonio Brown using his twitter account to brag himself up and taking credit for the team' success when they have it. 

But Vazquez might also need to realize that despite his success he needs to conform to some extent to becoming a clubhouse or bullpen leader and stop being the prima donna that in some ways he is and thus not tick off his fellow BP mates. This is where CH has to step up and help him get things right.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The issues I read about were that Crick, Kela and others in the BP resent that they have to shag fly balls in batting practice while Vazquez is allowed to skip that and nap in the clubhouse and that they all have to wear their practice jerseys while Vazquez is allowed to wear a t-shirt. I guess in principle that's annoying but it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: The issues I read about were that Crick, Kela and others in the BP resent that they have to shag fly balls in batting practice while Vazquez is allowed to skip that and nap in the clubhouse and that they all have to wear their practice jerseys while Vazquez is allowed to wear a t-shirt. I guess in principle that's annoying but it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

I don't know why the Bucs allow Vazquez to skip shagging fly balls and allow him to wear a t-shirt.

Maybe this is common.

Maybe the Bucs tell all the pitchers, if you have an ERA under 2.25 you can wear a t-shirt too.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Here's what happened between Crick & Vazquez per Nubayjas Wilborn of the PG:

Fight Starts Over Music in Clubhouse
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

So, Crick's finger injury is season ending but he also disclosed that he was in his shower shoes and ripped a callous off his foot. He described that as day to day. Really? I am sure the callous will heal before he is ready to play again.

I would be curious to learn if the clubhouse has taken some sides. It certainly isn't good that Vazquez threw two punches to start it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

545C5F485E5E523D0 wrote: So, Crick's finger injury is season ending but he also disclosed that he was in his shower shoes and ripped a callous off his foot.  He described that as day to day.  Really?  I am sure the callous will heal before he is ready to play again. 

I would be curious to learn if the clubhouse has taken some sides.  It  certainly isn't good that Vazquez threw two punches to start it. 

Of all the recent clubhouse drama, Vazquez seems to be near the center of most of it