Promotions, promotions for everyone! Except ...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Yea, we keep hearing that Cruz is "not ready."

Well, he's still by all accounts our BEST prospect.

In the meantime, the Pirates have called up every other prospect in the minor league system -- all of whom are flawed. All of whom, in theory, who have more flaws and less potential than Cruz.

It's not like we're calling up a bunch of Mike Trouts before we get to Cruz.

I continue to maintain that the Pirates, intentionally or not, are messing with Cruz's head at this point and I just hope they are not screwing him up long-term. Because I think the way they are handling him is ridiculous. They're not calling him up and they're not playing him every night at SS ... even though this franchise doesn't have a SS at the major league level.

And it's not like he's 19 years old any more. Cruz would have been called up by most other MLB teams by now, at this point.

The longer the Pirates wait, it's only a matter of time before Newman returns, plays SS every night, and blocks Cruz ... while hitting .195.

It's infuriating.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

557764797A7F78775463757579160 wrote: Yea, we keep hearing that Cruz is "not ready."

Well, he's still by all accounts our BEST prospect.

In the meantime, the Pirates have called up every other prospect in the minor league system -- all of whom are flawed. All of whom, in theory, who have more flaws and less potential than Cruz.

It's not like we're calling up a bunch of Mike Trouts before we get to Cruz.

I continue to maintain that the Pirates, intentionally or not, are messing with Cruz's head at this point and I just hope they are not screwing him up long-term. Because I think the way they are handling him is ridiculous. They're not calling him up and they're not playing him every night at SS ... even though this franchise doesn't have a SS at the major league level.

And it's not like he's 19 years old any more. Cruz would have been called up by most other MLB teams by now, at this point.

The longer the Pirates wait, it's only a matter of time before Newman returns, plays SS every night, and blocks Cruz ... while hitting .195.

It's infuriating.

I could be wrong, but I think that is part of the plan...Keep Newman in the spot until Peguero is ready. Once Newman returns, I would not be surprised if Cruz is called up shortly there after. Cruz might get some spot duty at SS, but I don't think they hand it over to him fulltime.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I get that Cruz has been hitting better the last few weeks, but he's hitting .231 on the season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F4C5051525A6C514A564D4A5B57503E0 wrote: I get that Cruz has been hitting better the last few weeks, but he's hitting .231 on the season.
Yes, but he got off to such a bad start that he's not going to have a high average this year. If his total BA is all that matters, they might as well shut him down now and tell him to try again next year.

But a closer look shows he's been hitting well for more of the season than not. In his first 21 games thru May 4, he was a dismal 13 for 82 for a .159 BA. He had 1 HR and 29 Ks. There's no way to recover from that and end up with a good BA.

But in the 29 games since then he's gone 32 for 113 for a .283 BA with 8 HRs and 25 Ks. Everyone knows he's not a .159 hitter. The .283 is more representative of his ability. For his minor league career he's a .275 hitter. Something had to be wrong those first 21 games but whatever it was, it's been corrected. He's now been hitting as they expected him to for a longer period of time than when he was struggling.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

664D4C49494C4B765144514C4A4B250 wrote: Cruz is awful at SS . 14 errors in 39 games that pace puts him at 56 errors in a full MLB season. Yikes  :-X

They need to put him at 1st or a corner OF spot.
With his size, I would say 1st
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Bligh Madris ... it's time.

He hit so well (and with some power) in ST, there was discussion that we'd bring him up.

Instead, he got sent to AAA and sat so the "real" prospects could play. Then we started calling them up and he is now getting regular play time.

The result ...

Last 7 days: AVG .455, OBP .500. SLG .773, OPS 1.273

Last 14 days: AVG. .415, OBP .489, SLG .756, OPS 1.245

Last 21 days: AVG . 379, OBP .468, SLG .727, OPS 1.195

I seriously hate these player games GMs play to protect their trade moves - or higher draft picks who are struggling to establish themselves and justify their draft position. Or to ignore some of the prospects of the previous regime.

Park, it's time to move him off the 40-man.

I know Chang is a holder for Yoshii, but are both worth their place on the 40-man?

Madris is the very reason I was infuriated we picked up VanMeter. How much longer will he block prospects?

I know it won't happen soon such we are built to suck right now, but seriously, what does a kid have to do to get a spot on the 40 man?

Cruz, Bae, and Madris all need a shot to see what they have. Pretty sure we could lose 10 in a row with them too, but at least there would be some development.

Madris played his first game at 1B the other night as Martin continues to flounder. Maybe he's getting prepped for a call up, but honestly, when he has played since ST, he's showed he belongs in Pittsburgh.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Thanks for posting Madris's stats; didn't realize he was on such an extended tear. These stats - particularly the slugging percentage - should earn him a promotion to the majors. Perhaps send Smith - Njigba down and release Chang to create roster space for him.

I also agree with adding Bae to the 40 man roster and recalling him. While Park could have some value, his ceiling is likely a mediocre utility player, and the Pirates are not lacking middle infield options. I would remove Park from the roster to add Bae and see what Bae could do.

Also agree with bringing up Cruz, a move I did not support at the beginning of the season. Bucs could send Castillo back to AAA to create the active roster spot. Castillo, started off the year hot, but is now struggling as he is now facing lefties and righties. Castillo could still have some longer term value.

The constant shuffling of players may have some downsides, but now is the time to find out if any of the above players could play a role on next year's team. And, its not like the Bucs would need to sit any great hitters to provide the above folks some regular playing time; particularly with the availability of the DH (assumes Vogelbach is soon moved).

Marcano or Bae. Speed & on-base ability at top of line-up. The other bats 9th

Madris - Power & average, if the AAA stats are realr

Reynolds Still sold on better hitter in the 3 spot. Goldschmidt seems to be doing well since he dropped from 2nd to 3rd in the order

Chavis 4th, but moves down against some RH'ers

Cruz or Suwinski (Interchange between 5th & 6th)

Hayes (6th or 7th)

Catcher - because we have to have one

Bae or Marcano

Anyone could be the DH on any night. Also sprinkle in doses of Mitchell, Newman (when he returns) and Gamel (when he returns).