Eovaldi

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Eovaldi

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Would he even improve the team? He gives up a lot of long balls.

And like Bobster, his contract status is a negative. I'm learning that the Pirates simply aren't good at dealing with players in their last year of control. Eovaldi and Frankie will both be on there last year of control in 2017 = a distraction this time next year the Pirates don't need.
CarolinaBucco

Eovaldi

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I have no problem including Brault if he is helping to bring back someone (ideally a starting pitcher) who would represent a CLEAR UPGRADE over what we already have. Let's say (dreaming here) that it's Brault and another player or two for Chris Archer. That's a clear upgrade.

I don't want to lose someone like Brault to get Eovaldi. I just don't see Eovaldi making this a better team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Eovaldi

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7A7D6B636D7A3D31486F65696164266B6765080 wrote: Would he even improve the team?  He gives up a lot of long balls. 

And like Bobster, his contract status is a negative.  I'm learning that the Pirates simply aren't good at dealing with players in their last year of control.  Eovaldi and Frankie will both be on there last year of control in 2017 = a distraction this time next year the Pirates don't need.

It isn't that much of a negative. He would probably get more in arbitration, but not like he would double. I also don't think arbitration are distractions.
Ecbucs

Eovaldi

Post by Ecbucs »

5270637E7D787F70536472727E110 wrote: I have no problem including Brault if he is helping to bring back someone (ideally a starting pitcher) who would represent a CLEAR UPGRADE over what we already have. Let's say (dreaming here) that it's Brault and another player or two for Chris Archer. That's a clear upgrade.

I don't want to lose someone like Brault to get Eovaldi. I just don't see Eovaldi making this a better team.

I agree with this. The team just made a deal and one of the big benefits was years of control. Eovaldi only has one year left and he is scuffling along.

Maybe they think he could be this season's Happ. Brault seems to have good potential and is a lefty starter with a team in a park that is built for lefty starters.
agent00

Eovaldi

Post by agent00 »

Would be a terrible trade. Eovaldi throws hard, but that's about it.
Quail

Eovaldi

Post by Quail »

3036343F256161510 wrote: Would be a terrible trade. Eovaldi throws hard, but that's about it.

My thoughts as well. The whole idea of this deal seems to be a trifle nonsensical.
psuinpgh21

Eovaldi

Post by psuinpgh21 »

I'm whole-heartedly in favor of getting Eovaldi, simply because he's my cousin's son-in-law. Don't want to give up Brault for him, much less a package around Brault. Unless we get a catcher a la Stew, Cervelli or Martin from the Yankees I don't like dealing with them.
Tintin

Eovaldi

Post by Tintin »

I'd do this, but just because I don't think a Brault is going to be a good big leaguer.

Same with Kuhl.

If we can get a couple of good arms for these guys.

I'd look into James Shields. He's had a 2.00 era in his last 7 starts (them's Happ numbers). I'd bet we could get the Sox to pay 10 of the 20 million they owe him (Pads on the hook for the rest) and make this look like an AJ deal.

This is not unlike what the Braves tried to do with Kemp.
Ecbucs

Eovaldi

Post by Ecbucs »

734E49534E49270 wrote: I'd do this, but just because I don't think a Brault is going to be a good big leaguer.

Same with Kuhl.

If we can get a couple of good arms for these guys.

I'd look into James Shields.  He's had a 2.00 era in his last 7 starts (them's Happ numbers).  I'd bet we could get the Sox to pay 10 of the 20 million they owe him (Pads on the hook for the rest) and make this look like an AJ deal.

This is not unlike what the Braves tried to do with Kemp.
why do you not think Kuhl or Brault can be good pitchers?
Leyland1948

Eovaldi

Post by Leyland1948 »

Brault is making minimum wage for a ball player. Do not see the Pirates trading that money away for a pitcher close to arbitration. Not there M.O.