June 4th vs Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

June 4th vs Mets

Post by Ecbucs »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: Taillon topped out at 68 pitches in his last start for Indy, so they probably want to stretch him out to at least 80 pitches before having him start for the big club.

Pierzynski doing the color for the game Saturday highlighted pitch location as Glasnow's biggest problem.  He got hurt on pitches where he missed over the middle when targets were on the edges.  I think he may be able to get away with more of those mistakes at Indy, so he needs to get his lumps up here.

I have to disagree. Let him master his pitch location in Indy. Results aren't so important because, as you say, he might get away with those mistakes in AAA. The issue isn't how good his stats there might look but rather gaining the ability to hit his spots.

I agree about Indy too. That is where the results may not matter as much as the Pirates could tell him you are getting them out down here but missing your spots.  You already have seen that those end up in the seats in the majors.

Saw that Hutchison pitched in relief yesterday. Anybody know if it was because starter left early or because he has been moved to pen?
CTBucco

June 4th vs Mets

Post by CTBucco »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: Taillon topped out at 68 pitches in his last start for Indy, so they probably want to stretch him out to at least 80 pitches before having him start for the big club.

Pierzynski doing the color for the game Saturday highlighted pitch location as Glasnow's biggest problem.  He got hurt on pitches where he missed over the middle when targets were on the edges.  I think he may be able to get away with more of those mistakes at Indy, so he needs to get his lumps up here.

I have to disagree. Let him master his pitch location in Indy. Results aren't so important because, as you say, he might get away with those mistakes in AAA. The issue isn't how good his stats there might look but rather gaining the ability to hit his spots.

I hear you about hurting the big club while learning on the job. I just don't feel that he will manage to focus as much on pitching to location if he isn't being hurt by misses - even if they are being counted and reviewed with him on film by the coaches. I don't have a rational argument for why I feel this way though. (I probably sound like an old-school scout - "It's just my gut feeling." ) :o
CTBucco

June 4th vs Mets

Post by CTBucco »

260001160010630 wrote: nice game by Williams.
And 6-12 with RISP today. Still making up for last night though.
Bobster21

June 4th vs Mets

Post by Bobster21 »

5F485E697F7F731C0 wrote: Taillon topped out at 68 pitches in his last start for Indy, so they probably want to stretch him out to at least 80 pitches before having him start for the big club.

I hear you about hurting the big club while learning on the job.  I just don't feel that he will manage to focus as much on pitching to location if he isn't being hurt by misses - even if they are being counted and reviewed with him on film by the coaches.  I don't have a rational argument for why I feel this way though.  (I probably sound like an old-school scout - "It's just my gut feeling." )  :o
In 6 starts, Williams has made steady progress and is now pitching consistently well. In comparison, Glasnow is making little progress. The rare good game is followed by more bad ones. To me, he just doesn't look like a MLB pitcher at this point and he doesn't look like he's progressing toward that goal. With that said, I still expect Kuhl to be the one optioned for Taillon. But I also think Glasnow's leash is getting short with Brault pitching so well in AAA.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

June 4th vs Mets

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Glasnow needs to pitch to contact more. That should happen in Indy too where the results won't hurt. Glasnow needs to throw more strikes.  Williams is pitching to contact. It is helping him.

This move is a no brainier to me. I hope the Front Office feels the same way: Brault up, Kuhl & Glasnow down.