Game Day Thread - 9/22 - Bucs vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

702630242B31212A273002252F232B2E6C21420 wrote: I've watched Oneil Cruz several times but last night was the first time I was at the ballpark to see him play in person, and it confirmed what I've been thinking about him as a player. 

His demeanor on the field was aloof.  He didn't seem to appreciate where he was, which is at the top of his profession, to the point that he looked disinterested.  I did not see passion from a player who's in his first months in the big leagues, instead I saw someone who's effort was spent trying to look cool (which reminded me of Cole Tucker).  There were several times after an inning ended when he walked to the dugout.

I believe that with all of the talent he possesses, and it's considerable, he'll not reach his full potential if this is how he carries himself all the time because his focus is misdirected.  Of course, I don't know how self-motivated he is but, if he's not, someone needs to offer him help, and he has to be receptive to it, or he's going to miss out on what could be a sensational career.

I think your comments are on the mark. I saw him play a few times in Indy and got the same impression. He has great physical skills and I think he even looks more impressive in person than on TV.

So many athletes with natural physical gifts succeed early, underestimate the importance of fundamentals, and never conceptualize how determination fuels results. Others might help him become a better player, but like all of us, he will be most responsible for his own success/failure.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0836333B2830303B1B3E293A6D5F0 wrote: I've watched Oneil Cruz several times but last night was the first time I was at the ballpark to see him play in person, and it confirmed what I've been thinking about him as a player. 

His demeanor on the field was aloof.  He didn't seem to appreciate where he was, which is at the top of his profession, to the point that he looked disinterested.  I did not see passion from a player who's in his first months in the big leagues, instead I saw someone who's effort was spent trying to look cool (which reminded me of Cole Tucker).  There were several times after an inning ended when he walked to the dugout.

I believe that with all of the talent he possesses, and it's considerable, he'll not reach his full potential if this is how he carries himself all the time because his focus is misdirected.  Of course, I don't know how self-motivated he is but, if he's not, someone needs to offer him help, and he has to be receptive to it, or he's going to miss out on what could be a sensational career.
[highlight]Then they should move him to another position[/highlight]- some people have said that they are worried about his reaction. If this is the

way he is, then so what!!

If they do, then I suggest right field. If he's going to be aloof, I want him no where near the infield, where almost all of the key decisions are made.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1A1D312630530 wrote: I've watched Oneil Cruz several times but last night was the first time I was at the ballpark to see him play in person, and it confirmed what I've been thinking about him as a player. 

I think your comments are on the mark.  I saw him play a few times in Indy and got the same impression.  He has great physical  skills and I think he even looks more impressive in person than on TV. 

So many athletes with natural physical gifts succeed early, underestimate the importance of fundamentals, [highlight]and never conceptualize how determination fuels results.[/highlight]  Others might help him become a better player, but like all of us, he will be most responsible for his own success/failure.

Perfectly said. Great players work incredibly hard to stay great.