Pirates current roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Pirates current roster

Post by SCBucco »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: I think that they should play the season out at this point.  I dont see the point of setting people up for failure.  If those guys had any major leaguer in them now, they would be Pirates.  We've seen enough lack of development to last a lifetime.
I'm talking about next year when they have a lot of prospects to add to the 40 to protect from rule 5. It wouldn't make sense to lose prospects because they wanted to have as many dumpster dive temporary placeholders on the roster next year as they do this year. And since the plan is to have these prospects be the team's future, I'd rather get started with them next year instead of keeping them in AAA while the MLB roster is stocked with bums. And doing so would leave prospects off the 40 man roster who could have been protected from rule 5. The really unfortunate thing about how bad this team is this year is that most of these guys have no future with the team. It's just a wasted season. If they're going to struggle again next year, let's at least do it with players who are the team's future and get them the experience they'll need to become productive players. 

There should be plenty of room on the 40-man roster once the trash is gone. I have no clue who is eligible for Rule 5 Draft that need to be added or possibly lost.
fjk090852-7

Pirates current roster

Post by fjk090852-7 »

0725322D212E142F372E33282930400 wrote: Bobster,  100% agree in regard to your list of players who should be kept next year. Now, please don’t laugh at me when I tell you who the Bucs should try to go out and sign in the free agent market next year; Starling Marte and Cutch. Here me out. An outfield of Marte in left, Reynolds in center, and Cutch in right would not only make the team a better outfield, both offensively and defensively, but also would add credibility to the team. I would offer each player, two years at 7 million dollars each, with incentives. Neither player is that old. Plus, I feel that each would like to end their career in Pittsburgh.
If the price is reasonable, I would bring Cutch back as a part time outfielder. Maybe he would play between 110 and 120 games.
Ecbucs

Pirates current roster

Post by Ecbucs »

795B4C535F506A5149504D56574E3E0 wrote: Bobster,  100% agree in regard to your list of players who should be kept next year. Now, please don’t laugh at me when I tell you who the Bucs should try to go out and sign in the free agent market next year; Starling Marte and Cutch. Here me out. An outfield of Marte in left, Reynolds in center, and Cutch in right would not only make the team a better outfield, both offensively and defensively, but also would add credibility to the team. I would offer each player, two years at 7 million dollars each, with incentives. Neither player is that old. Plus, I feel that each would like to end their career in Pittsburgh.

I think there is a good chance that Cutch would come back especially if a legitimate contender didn't make a similar or higher offer.

Marte supposedly turned down 3 years 38 million from Marlins so it looks like he wants to test the market and get a high offer. You never know though.
Bobster21

Pirates current roster

Post by Bobster21 »

795B4C535F506A5149504D56574E3E0 wrote: Bobster,  100% agree in regard to your list of players who should be kept next year. Now, please don’t laugh at me when I tell you who the Bucs should try to go out and sign in the free agent market next year; Starling Marte and Cutch. Here me out. An outfield of Marte in left, Reynolds in center, and Cutch in right would not only make the team a better outfield, both offensively and defensively, but also would add credibility to the team. I would offer each player, two years at 7 million dollars each, with incentives. Neither player is that old. Plus, I feel that each would like to end their career in Pittsburgh.
That would be great especially since there are no OF prospects knocking at the door. But I don't see an incentive for Marte. At age 32 he's having a very good season, is a FA in 2022 and should get good offers from good teams. Cutch will be 35 next year, is no longer a high average hitter but has power. He probably has 2-3 years left. Would he want to spend them with a bad team? He's a FA next year and won't get the offers Marte gets. But he'll get offers. But I doubt he'll want to finish his career with a noncompetitive Pirates team.
GreenWeenie

Pirates current roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

Not a good fit from the team side and either player's side.

7 mpy + incentives is either laughable, insulting, or both.  They'll get double.  7 mpy won't start a conversation.  It would end it.

I dont see the team breaking from it's current rendition of a plan enough to go in this direction. Both players are well into their 30s. One was dumped by this GM.

But, you never know.  I've been surprised before.