Pirates current roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Pirates current roster

Post by JollyRoger »

How many players on the current Pirates 26 man roster would you consider to be ML caliber players?

I count only 8 out of 26

Maybe you could add Difo as a player off the bench

P

Bednar

Brault

Shreve

Stratton

INF

Stallings

Hayes

Moran

OF

Reynolds
Bobster21

Pirates current roster

Post by Bobster21 »

Stallings, Moran, Hayes, Reynolds, Gamel, Difo, Stratton, Bednar, Shreve, Brault.

The majority of the MLB roster are only placeholders who don't actually belong in MLB. After the season they have to add players to the 40 man roster ahead of the Rule 5 draft. I think there's going to be a massive housecleaning as a huge chunk of the 26 man roster are waived to clear space on the 40 man roster.
Ecbucs

Pirates current roster

Post by Ecbucs »

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: Stallings, Moran, Hayes, Reynolds, Gamel, Difo, Stratton, Bednar, Shreve, Brault.

The majority of the MLB roster are only placeholders who don't actually belong in MLB. After the season they have to add players to the 40 man roster ahead of the Rule 5 draft. I think there's going to be a massive housecleaning as a huge chunk of the 26 man roster are waived to clear space on the 40 man roster. 

Even with this, they won't be letting go of players that will be missed.

Does anyone miss E-Gon?
Bobster21

Pirates current roster

Post by Bobster21 »

496F6E796F7F0C0 wrote: Stallings, Moran, Hayes, Reynolds, Gamel, Difo, Stratton, Bednar, Shreve, Brault.

Even with this, they won't be letting go of players that will be missed. 

Does anyone miss E-Gon?
I would rather see guys currently in AA and AAA filling out the MLB roster next year instead of over half the roster being players with no future with the team. Few if any who won't be back next year will be missed.
GreenWeenie

Pirates current roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

Then we become a defacto minor league club and might as well be one all year.

Let's face it.  What the OP wrote to start this thread inferred that the majority of the players are minor leaguers.

We gave away most of our MLB guys.
Bobster21

Pirates current roster

Post by Bobster21 »

0A3F2828231A28282324284D0 wrote: Then we become a defacto minor league club and might as well be one all year.

Let's face it.  What the OP wrote to start this thread inferred that the majority of the players are minor leaguers.

We gave away most of our MLB guys.
I don't mean random minor leaguers. The Pirates have committed to a plan to rebuild through the minors. So let's start seeing those players next year instead of filling out the MLB roster with dumpster dives as placeholders. Castro is a good example. He's struggling but if he is part of the team's future, there is more benefit to having him on the MLB roster than there was in keeping Erik Gonzalez. There isn't much at Indy (I don't know if Oliva still has any value) but there are several at Altoona who could make the jump as Castro did. Cruz, Martin, Smith-Njigba, Mitchell, Bae. If these guys are supposed to play a significant part in making the Pirates a better team, then I'd rather see them adjusting to MLB than having BC spend another year scouring the waiver wire for DFA'd guys to temporarily fill out the roster.
GreenWeenie

Pirates current roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

I think that they should play the season out at this point. I dont see the point of setting people up for failure. If those guys had any major leaguer in them now, they would be Pirates. We've seen enough lack of development to last a lifetime.
Bobster21

Pirates current roster

Post by Bobster21 »

093C2B2B20192B2B20272B4E0 wrote: I think that they should play the season out at this point.  I dont see the point of setting people up for failure.  If those guys had any major leaguer in them now, they would be Pirates.  We've seen enough lack of development to last a lifetime.
I'm talking about next year when they have a lot of prospects to add to the 40 to protect from rule 5. It wouldn't make sense to lose prospects because they wanted to have as many dumpster dive temporary placeholders on the roster next year as they do this year. And since the plan is to have these prospects be the team's future, I'd rather get started with them next year instead of keeping them in AAA while the MLB roster is stocked with bums. And doing so would leave prospects off the 40 man roster who could have been protected from rule 5. The really unfortunate thing about how bad this team is this year is that most of these guys have no future with the team. It's just a wasted season. If they're going to struggle again next year, let's at least do it with players who are the team's future and get them the experience they'll need to become productive players.
GreenWeenie

Pirates current roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

I would be in favor of having them play next year- assuming that the brass felt that they were ready. I see no reasaon not to. If the coaches say that they're ready for MLB play, then whoi am I to disagree with that. It's their record; their reputations that are on the line. So, if they're all for it, so would I.

I'd be leery of rushing anyone. They way Pedro Alvarez was raking it in the minors, he gave the appearances that he was ready for showtime. I'm not sure if any of his fatal flaws were apparent before he was brought up. I do recall NH saying- before The Archer Trade- that bringing up Alvaraz too soon was his biggest regret at the that time.

The way I see it, some of them had BETTER be ready. Cherington dumped talent to acquire them. The whole idea of making those trades was to improve the roster.
GermanTownship

Pirates current roster

Post by GermanTownship »

Bobster, 100% agree in regard to your list of players who should be kept next year. Now, please don’t laugh at me when I tell you who the Bucs should try to go out and sign in the free agent market next year; Starling Marte and Cutch. Here me out. An outfield of Marte in left, Reynolds in center, and Cutch in right would not only make the team a better outfield, both offensively and defensively, but also would add credibility to the team. I would offer each player, two years at 7 million dollars each, with incentives. Neither player is that old. Plus, I feel that each would like to end their career in Pittsburgh.