Just Wondering

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Just Wondering

Post by BenM »

4C6D654C676F080 wrote: Like GW I am an old-timer and couldn't give 2 Shits about all the analytics we hear being talked about be it launch angle, exit velocity, spin rate, pitch counts, etc.  MLB lost big time many years ago when Marvin Miller beat them in court over free agency and salaries went nuts.  Hell, every time a player gets a hangnail he goes on the 10 IL. 

"Nuts" is a relative term. I don't see any owner rushing to the exit because the league has an unsustainable business model.

Players make nuts money because the league is making the owners nuts money.

Some of them spend that, one doesn't some don't.
Surgnbuck

Just Wondering

Post by Surgnbuck »

That stuff has no intetest to me. You know if analytics was the end all be all, how come every player isn't successful?
GreenWeenie

Just Wondering

Post by GreenWeenie »

Because they play for the Pirates? Ta dum. ;)
mouse

Just Wondering

Post by mouse »

In response to Surgnbuck's question, I've given that topic some thought as well. With all the data available, you would think hitters would all excel. Mike Schmidt had an article the other day suggesting defensive shifts balance any data advantage. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 359465001/) He said hitters just haven't adjusted. My thought is that home runs seem to be the new total focus of baseball. Instant runs. Hitters seem locked into their swings and cannot change, even to the extent of hitting to the left side when that's a totally free hit. Singles are almost sneered at. Ah, well.
GreenWeenie

Just Wondering

Post by GreenWeenie »

4042585E482D0 wrote: In response to Surgnbuck's question, I've given that topic some thought as well. With all the data available, you would think hitters would all excel. Mike Schmidt had an article the other day suggesting defensive shifts balance any data advantage. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 359465001/) He said hitters just haven't adjusted. My thought is that home runs seem to be the new total focus of baseball. Instant runs. Hitters seem locked into their swings and cannot change, even to the extent of hitting to the left side when that's a totally free hit. Singles are almost sneered at. Ah, well.

"Chicks dig the long ball."  Babe Ruth?  Yes.  Pete Rose?  Not so much.  Unless you're tied and have a teammate on second.

I guess it's like golf. Some guys go for it. Some guys lay up.
Javy

Just Wondering

Post by Javy »

5D63666E7D65656E4E6B7C6F380A0 wrote: Does anyone really give a S#it about Exit Velocity and Launch Angle?. I think it is just to give the announcers something else to talk about

No matter what, baseball comes down to some very basic fundamentals.

It's a round ball, and a round bat, and you have to hit it square.

Throw strikes - good pitching beats good hitting.

Know what to do if/when the ball is hit to you.

When you mess with the basics, like launch angles, increasing spin rates, and defensive shifts and trying to throw guys out at the expense of giving up bases, you get today's version of baseball. Advanced analytics is a cottage industry that creates jobs for non-baseball people in the world of baseball.

Just my 2 cents.
WildwoodDave2

Just Wondering

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

654E59562F0 wrote: Does anyone really give a S#it about Exit Velocity and Launch Angle?. I think it is just to give the announcers something else to talk about

No matter what, baseball comes down to some very basic fundamentals.

It's a round ball, and a round bat, and you have to hit it square.

Throw strikes - good pitching beats good hitting.

Know what to do if/when the ball is hit to you.

When you mess with the basics, like launch angles, increasing spin rates, and defensive shifts and trying to throw guys out at the expense of giving up bases, you get today's version of baseball. Advanced analytics is a cottage industry that creates jobs for non-baseball people in the world of baseball.

Just my 2 cents.
Very well put!!
GreenWeenie

Just Wondering

Post by GreenWeenie »

The emergence of higher level stats was from an attempt to gain competitive advantages.

Loose lips sink ships.  People talked.  Next thing you know, every franchise copied the first cat.  Competitive advantage disappeared.