Just Wondering

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Just Wondering

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Does anyone really give a S#it about Exit Velocity and Launch Angle?. I think it is just to give the announcers something else to talk about
2drfischer@gmail.c

Just Wondering

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

635D5850435B5B507055425106340 wrote: Does anyone really give a S#it about Exit Velocity and Launch Angle?. I think it is just to give the announcers something else to talk about

Not me. We all know when a guy hits a ball hard, and we can see how it's travelling in the air. It's just one more way to encourage players of all ages to hit the ball in the air as far as they can, which just makes the game more boring for me.
GreenWeenie

Just Wondering

Post by GreenWeenie »

506E6B63706868634366716235070 wrote: Does anyone really give a S#it about Exit Velocity and Launch Angle?. I think it is just to give the announcers something else to talk about

I care about it about as much as I care about a pitcher's Speed and Spin Rate and some of the defensive measurements; which is to say- not much.

I guess I'm old school.  I find these things to be excuses more than anything else.  "Yeah, the guy doesn't hit any home runs, BUT.....", then tell me about some obscure stat like these that try to sway me that they're a good player.
Bobster21

Just Wondering

Post by Bobster21 »

The ones that really annoy me or win probability and catch probability. Win probability changes every time the score changes. Duh. After a tough catch is made they tell us what the catch probability was. He caught the ball! The probability was 100%.
DemDog

Just Wondering

Post by DemDog »

Like GW I am an old-timer and couldn't give 2 Shits about all the analytics we hear being talked about be it launch angle, exit velocity, spin rate, pitch counts, etc. MLB lost big time many years ago when Marvin Miller beat them in court over free agency and salaries went nuts. Hell, every time a player gets a hangnail he goes on the 10 IL.
GreenWeenie

Just Wondering

Post by GreenWeenie »

They don't execute their metrics very well.
GreenWeenie

Just Wondering

Post by GreenWeenie »

52737B527971160 wrote: Like GW I am an old-timer and couldn't give 2 Shits about all the analytics we hear being talked about be it launch angle, exit velocity, spin rate, pitch counts, etc.  MLB lost big time many years ago when Marvin Miller beat them in court over free agency and [highlight]salaries went nuts.  [/highlight]Hell, every time a player gets a hangnail he goes on the 10 IL. 

Well, maybe in SOME places, they have. ;)-

WildwoodDave2

Just Wondering

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7B4E5959526B59595255593C0 wrote: Like GW I am an old-timer and couldn't give 2 Shits about all the analytics we hear being talked about be it launch angle, exit velocity, spin rate, pitch counts, etc.  MLB lost big time many years ago when Marvin Miller beat them in court over free agency and [highlight]salaries went nuts.  [/highlight]Hell, every time a player gets a hangnail he goes on the 10 IL. 

Well, maybe in SOME places, they have.  ;)-

I am glad everyone feels the same way. However, I'm sure someone will disagree ;D
Bobster21

Just Wondering

Post by Bobster21 »

5C697E7E754C7E7E75727E1B0 wrote: Like GW I am an old-timer and couldn't give 2 Shits about all the analytics we hear being talked about be it launch angle, exit velocity, spin rate, pitch counts, etc.  MLB lost big time many years ago when Marvin Miller beat them in court over free agency and [highlight]salaries went nuts.  [/highlight]Hell, every time a player gets a hangnail he goes on the 10 IL. 

Well, maybe in SOME places, they have.  ;)-

Thank goodness there are owners like Bob Nutting to keep salaries from getting out of control.
GreenWeenie

Just Wondering

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yes, thank goodness for BOB.  Wish any of the other 29 teams' fans could have the experience of having him for an owner for a while. 

We've been blessed for far too long. We shouldn't be this selfish.