Game thread 6/21/22. Cubs vs Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

321413060F0314020A610 wrote: Contreras was good enough tonight and, as he matures, I feel like he’ll gain the ability to have better control.  He’s the real deal, and he’ll be really good once he masters the strike zone and throws fewer pitches.
I'm not scout, but it's interesting Walk mentioned what I was thinking having watched Roansy pitch a number of times now, needs to start pitching inside on guys a lot more

Maybe he's not comfortable doing so because his control isn't yet what it needs to be. Once he gets a handle on it he's going to be able to pitch seven plus innings more times than not.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Watching video this morning of Madris's HR was interesting for the reaction it got from the new guys who've joined him in Pittsburgh. They all seemed genuinely excited and happy for him, more so than I expected.

It seems like these guys are really supportive of each other. It makes me think that BC and his minor league staff have created a great atmosphere. That's why I think when each player suffers through the inevitable failures all major league players face, each will have great support, which will help them face it more successfully.

I'm far more excited by the possibilities these young guys bring than I was before the season began.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

366076626D77676C6176446369656D682A67040 wrote: Watching video this morning of Madris's HR was interesting for the reaction it got from the new guys who've joined him in Pittsburgh.  They all seemed genuinely excited and happy for him, more so than I expected.

It seems like these guys are really supportive of each other.  It makes me think that BC and his minor league staff have created a great atmosphere.  That's why I think when each player suffers through the inevitable failures all major league players face, each will have great support, which will help them face it more successfully. 

I'm far more excited by the possibilities these young guys bring than I was before the season began.
And I think it's only the beginning- That horizon is getting closer
2drfischer@gmail.c

0836333B2830303B1B3E293A6D5F0 wrote: Watching video this morning of Madris's HR was interesting for the reaction it got from the new guys who've joined him in Pittsburgh.  They all seemed genuinely excited and happy for him, more so than I expected.

It seems like these guys are really supportive of each other.  It makes me think that BC and his minor league staff have created a great atmosphere.  That's why I think when each player suffers through the inevitable failures all major league players face, each will have great support, which will help them face it more successfully. 

And I think it's only the beginning- That horizon is getting closer

Yep. We're now seeing the initial results of the two years of work by this new management group. The major league club is the last place that a rebuild is seen. The foundation had to be put in place first. There will still be some setbacks but the organization's moving in the right direction and we're seeing evidence of that here in Pittsburgh.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

536671717A4371717A7D71140 wrote: Going to bow out for a while.  Been unreasonably busy on a new role. 

Nice to see the Bucs doing so well in recent games.  Hope they maintain it.

As the division is, a better start might have made an even bigger difference.  Time's the enemy.  Make it a friend!
The start was fine. The 9 game losing streak put them where they are. Nice passive aggressive dig though. I get it they have improved so your goalposts move again. Just can't give any credit.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

The young "bucks" are hopefully going to be good BUCS.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It is good to read some positive posts regarding the Pirates, and the current Baseball Ops. Group. I have had a lot of confidence in the team BC has put together. I know we still have Bob Nutting to deal with, but I still believe Ben Cherington with his baseball resume would have not taken this job without getting some assurances from the Front Office.
2drfischer@gmail.c

202C2D767F767E73746B71460 wrote: It is good to read some positive posts regarding the Pirates, and the current Baseball Ops. Group. I have had a lot of confidence in the team BC has put together. I know we still have Bob Nutting to deal with,  but I still believe Ben Cherington with his baseball resume would have not taken this job without getting some assurances from the Front Office.

Agree completely, except for the part about BC getting assurances. He may very well have gotten that from Nutting but, until he actually does it, I don't expect Nutting to put his money where his mouth is.

He said on several occasions that he'd do what was necessary when the time was right, that the money saved in the early years of Huntington's regime would be spent when the club was ready to compete. That money's still in the bank. He had his chance in 2015 and after but he sat on his hands. I don't trust him and I doubt I ever will.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

0B5D4B5F504A5A515C4B795E54585055175A390 wrote: It is good to read some positive posts regarding the Pirates, and the current Baseball Ops. Group. I have had a lot of confidence in the team BC has put together. I know we still have Bob Nutting to deal with,  but I still believe Ben Cherington with his baseball resume would have not taken this job without getting some assurances from the Front Office.

Agree completely, except for the part about BC getting assurances.  He may very well have gotten that from Nutting but, until he actually does it, I don't expect Nutting to put his money where his mouth is. 

He said on several occasions that he'd do what was necessary when the time was right, that the money saved in the early years of Huntington's regime would be spent when the club was ready to compete.  That money's still in the bank.  He had his chance in 2015 and after but he sat on his hands.  I don't trust him and I doubt I ever will.

Hayes didn't move your trust just a bit? I want to see more, but remember, even the big market teams couldn't keep everyone. To this day I still can't believe Mookie Betts was traded. My concern is they will up the ante on some players, but if others end up leaving or getting traded, the same old comments will be made. Of course, I want to actually see this happen!

Most of all, let's hope anyone they extend plays to expectations, Polanco was an anchor.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

663026323D27373C3126143339353D387A37540 wrote: Watching video this morning of Madris's HR was interesting for the reaction it got from the new guys who've joined him in Pittsburgh.  They all seemed genuinely excited and happy for him, more so than I expected.

Very astute observation Doc

Agree 100%