Cole/Harrison

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Cole/Harrison

Post by Ecbucs »

61767B7F7F7B717921120 wrote: If they get Adams, Frazier, and Andujar back from the Cole trade, do you all think these guys are close enough that extending or re-signing Cutch in his declining years is a good baseball move?  I think the Pirates think they are a few pieces away from contention and if these guys pan out from the alleged trade, then maybe they aren't that far away?  Add in Keller to the rotation and maybe Glasnow finds the zone.  It's an never ending story, but they have to move pieces like Cole to keep up and replenish the farm. 

I'm in the middle of the road right now because the Pirates are too.  Depending what their next move is, will make my opinion change on what I hope they do next.

I wouldn't count on any of those three to be big contributors in 2018 (not going to do better than anyone they replace from last year's roster).
SCBucco

Cole/Harrison

Post by SCBucco »

002C2423280F382E3E4D0 wrote: The Pirates will really miss McCutchen if he is traded.   That said, it is past time to trade him. 

McCutchen was on fire for most of June and July last year, and he performed at a good level in September.  However, in August his bat was abysmal, and he performed little above replacement level in April and May.   He similarly had down months in 2016 before catching fire.   I know that all players have ups and downs, but I would be very concerned about McCutchen regressing further.   I note that when things weren't clicking for him in the early going last year I suggested that if he didn't soon find some of the 'old glory' that he would be hard pressed to obtain a good free agent offer in 2019 and that he could find himself out of baseball at 32. 

I deeply respect what McCutchen has done for the Pittsburgh franchise.  I also want him to continue to be successful, regardless if it is in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.  But, the days of sentimentality in baseball are largely over, unless you are a franchise who can look at $20 mil on the books for 4 or more years as being pocket change.   

As SyrBucco said several weeks ago, I want the Bucs to have nice things.  McCutchen was a very special player.  He still remains a very good player.  That said, I want the Bucs to take the risk of finding future McCutchen's this off-season (as doubtful as that is) or at least some good players who can be here for a while.  I want the team to try and retool. 

With respect to Harrison.  I too love his heart and enthusiasm for the game.  He has had one magical season and another 1.5 good seasons.   He is, however, a limited talent, but one who could be attractive to a contending team because of his versatility.  If the Bucs can move him for a decent return, then by all means they should move him.      

To me, Harrison is more important than Cutch and its not even close. Harrison is versatile and can play a position that we have a gaping hole at. Cutch is on the downslide. You bring out he has awesome this and that, but he has only has a quality 2.5 months in the last two years. I bang my head when people think we need to resign him for 17 million for 4 or 5 years after watching his last two. Sure, he is the face of the franchise. I get it. He is popular too. But faces of franchises have been moved before. The key is knowing when to move them because a declining face of the franchise is a bad investment.

I want good things too. I don't classify a declining Cutch that good of a thing to be honest.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cole/Harrison

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

McCutchen and his declining year is still better than Harrison's stat lines.

If you think McCutchen had a bad year in 2017, then what did Harrison have? Harrison had a lower average, on base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS.

Harrison has never had a better year than McCutchen. Why is a bad year for McCutchen a good year for Harrison? That doesn't seem fair. That is why McCutchen is more valuable and there is no adequate replacement for McCutchen. Harrison has a more adequate replacement, meaning less of a drop off.

mouse

Cole/Harrison

Post by mouse »

Ack! Rumors are that the Cubs are interested in Cole.
DemDog

Cole/Harrison

Post by DemDog »

45475D5B4D280 wrote: Ack! Rumors are that the Cubs are interested in Cole.

I'd do that deal if the Cubbies give us Kris Bryant!  8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
SammyKhalifa

Cole/Harrison

Post by SammyKhalifa »

that would be the worst.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cole/Harrison

24263C3A2C490 wrote: Ack! Rumors are that the Cubs are interested in Cole.

Do they have anything left in their farm system?

This is good leverage with more teams having interest. I still think a Yankees deal will go down. If the Yankees truly aren't interested, they could have worked a deal for someone else or just sign Yu Darvish, Jake Arietta.
notes34

Cole/Harrison

Post by notes34 »

4C474F4346475C191F685149404747064B47280 wrote: Ack! Rumors are that the Cubs are interested in Cole.

Do they have anything left in their farm system?

This is good leverage with more teams having interest.  I still think a Yankees deal will go down.  If the Yankees truly aren't interested, they could have worked a deal for someone else or just sign Yu Darvish, Jake Arietta.
No they do not. I don't see a good fit here.
sdimmick3

Cole/Harrison

Post by sdimmick3 »

get the Pittsburgh Kid, Ian Happ!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cole/Harrison

27303D39393D373F67540 wrote: get the Pittsburgh Kid, Ian Happ! 

They are probably trying to trade Ben Zobrist because of Ian Happ. Zobrist has a bad contract, but did help the Cubs win it all.