MLB Trade Rumors -Watson to Seattle?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: They have been spending money, so it is not typical.  Almost every player was extended and didn't have to be.  Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, and Cervelli.  Kang is signed.  Freese was just signed.  Mercer is the only regular besides Bell who wasn't extended.

So, they are spending money.  They could have let all those guys walk or dealt them.
Sure they spend money. All teams do. But they still do so among the 5 or 6 least spending teams in MLB. They signed those players to team friendly contracts, which is great. Until last year they had a competitive team and they want to remain so. They aren't going to let everyone walk and replace them with minimum salaried rookies. They would certainly lose their fan base that way. So when you say "they are spending money" it is in the sense that they assembled a competitive team on a minimal payroll (which, again, is great) but they don't appear to want to increase that minimalist payroll (by MLB standards) to take the team up another notch by improving the pitching. So the issue of spending does indeed appear to be a problem hindering the improvement of the team. 

I look at the Pirates more like treading water instead of spending money. I like the contracts they gave guys like Polanco and Marte, but aside from that they simply add to the payroll by signing garbage such as giving Jaso 4 million here or Jeff Locke 3 million there. This isn't spending money it's treading water. And if the Pirates want to seriously take the next step they have to increase this payroll another 20 million dollars I feel at least. And they simply won't do it and it's really starting to get annoying and very tiresome. The Pirates are out of excuses as well. They can't use the "we won 98 games last season and made the playoffs the last 3 seasons" excuse anymore because they stunk last year and won 20 less games. Things to need to change with this team drastically if they hope to be any better then they were last season moving forward.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

6B7C6A5D4B4B47280 wrote:

Sure they are rumors.  However, I asked a question that you don't seem to have an answer for.  Fact is, if there is validity to this and quite frankly with the plan in place this organization has is what I suspect, Watson will be dealt.  You made a comment regarding a "good deal" for him.  I want to know what constitutes a good deal?  I don't think his value is as high as you believe on the market meaning we don't get a better return than you want to believe.

Arky Caminero?  J/K.

What would we need to bundle with Watson to get back Taijuan Walker? One of the AAA pitchers (not named Glasnow)?  Would you give Keller?  I wouldn't, but only because Walker is a super-2, and so, we'd probably only have him for 2 years at affordable prices.  I'd give Kingham, but I doubt they'd go for that.

He's the guy that would seem to fit really well into our rotation. And we could sure use another lefty starter. It might take Keller and Kingham. As I recall Walker's name came up when their last GM made overtures that he wanted Marte.

The one thing about this rumor is that the Bucs and M's have a recent history of trading. So this isn't like speculating about a trade with the Rays -- which always proves to be a waste of time. Dipoto is a guy who moves pieces frequently.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6A4B5E576F564D5E4B5A3F0 wrote:

Sure they are rumors.  However, I asked a question that you don't seem to have an answer for.  Fact is, if there is validity to this and quite frankly with the plan in place this organization has is what I suspect, Watson will be dealt.  You made a comment regarding a "good deal" for him.  I want to know what constitutes a good deal?  I don't think his value is as high as you believe on the market meaning we don't get a better return than you want to believe.

Arky Caminero?  J/K.

What would we need to bundle with Watson to get back Taijuan Walker? One of the AAA pitchers (not named Glasnow)?  Would you give Keller?  I wouldn't, but only because Walker is a super-2, and so, we'd probably only have him for 2 years at affordable prices.  I'd give Kingham, but I doubt they'd go for that.

He's the guy that would seem to fit really well into our rotation. And we could sure use another lefty starter. It might take Keller and Kingham. As I recall Walker's name came up when their last GM made overtures that he wanted Marte.

The one thing about this rumor is that the Bucs and M's have a recent history of trading. So this isn't like speculating about a trade with the Rays -- which always proves to be a waste of time. Dipoto is a guy who moves pieces frequently.

don't think that Taijuan Walker is a lefty. Still he would be plus for our rotation and getting him for Watson and prospects as long as not Glasnow and Meadows seems fair to me. Watson and 1 prospect and maybe a more of a long shot like Wood.

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I stand corrected on Walker. Thanks...

A little more smoke from Seattle:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-h ... mccutchen/
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

15342128102932213425400 wrote: I stand corrected on Walker. Thanks...

A little more smoke from Seattle:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-h ... mccutchen/

Walker is always hurt or it seems. Very overrated to me. I wonder if James Paxton would interest Pittsburgh as a piece coming back.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/209566518 ... an-walker/

M's move Walker in what really looks like a player-for-player (Segura for Walker) deal with a couple of pieces thrown in. Seriously makes you wonder if the M's wanted to move Walker for Cutch and NH balked at that not being enough. M's with a pretty shallow minor league system.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I kind of like this deal for the D-Backs. But, then again, I've always end of felt like Segura was a bit overrated.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Seems that the DBacks wanted to get a pitcher with some promise as well as a decent track record. That's Walker. And don't forget the other chip the DBacks got in Marte a young and promising MI. What they gave up fits into Seattle's sort of win now mode. Segura gives the M's a decent bat if he plays like 2016 but as we all know from his Milwaukee days he is a bit deficient in the field.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

002129002B23440 wrote: Seems that the DBacks wanted to get a pitcher with some promise as well as a decent track record.  That's Walker.  And don't forget the other chip the DBacks got in Marte a young and promising MI.  What they gave up fits into Seattle's sort of win now mode.  Segura gives the M's a decent bat if he plays like 2016 but as we all know from his Milwaukee days he is a bit deficient in the field. 

Marie I think has a pretty low ceiling. Both his offense and defense were said to be below average last year , his first full year in the bigs. Also you did't mention that Mitch Haniger went over to the M's. Some are pretty high in him. BTW.. I didn't see a lot of either of these guys , just going by the scouting reports...
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

1736232A122B30233627420 wrote: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/209566518 ... an-walker/

M's move Walker in what really looks like a player-for-player (Segura for Walker) deal with a couple of pieces thrown in. Seriously makes you wonder if the M's wanted to move Walker for Cutch and NH balked at that not being enough. M's with a pretty shallow minor league system.

From the article, it looks like the DBacks have some young pitching to spare. Shipley's minors stats at the upper levels don't look too impressive, but he was highly rated when drafted. De la Rosa has been discussed in the past. We could surely find a combination. Maybe they'd like Harrison to take Segura's spot?