MLB Trade Rumors -Watson to Seattle?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

No mention of possible return:

The Mariners may not feel comfortable spending enough to compete with the Blue Jays for the services of free-agent lefty Brett Cecil, which could lead them to the trade market, writes Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune. Per Dutton, Pirates left-hander Tony Watson is one name to monitor as Seattle looks for a late-inning lefty, noting that Watson is “believed to be available.” The 31-year-old stepped into Pittsburgh’s closer role last year following the trade of Mark Melancon and performed well, as he’s done in virtually every role he’s been used over the past several seasons. Dating back to 2012. Watson boasts a 2.40 ERA with 8.0 K/9, 2.3 BB/9 and a 45 percent ground-ball rate in 345 1/3 innings. He’s lefties to a downright pitiful .190/.253/.273 slash but also more than held his own against righties, yielding a collective .214/.280/.346 batting line in that time. Watson has one more year of club control and is projected by MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz to earn $5.9MM in his final trip through the arbitration process.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The 31-year-old stepped into Pittsburgh’s closer role last year following the trade of Mark Melancon and performed well,

He did?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This may turn out to be an interesting off season. A possible trade of Cutch, and now it is rumored Watson may be available.
mouse

Post by mouse »

You wonder how much the 5.9MM plays into that availability. There are a number of ready or all-but-ready arms at AAA. They may feel Watson is a good trade piece with the plus of freeing up money.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2F2D373127420 wrote: You wonder how much the 5.9MM plays into that availability. There are a number of ready or all-but-ready arms at AAA. They may feel Watson is a good trade piece with the plus of freeing up money.
But what are they freeing up money for? They built a competitive team on one of MLB's smallest payrolls that's only a pitcher or two short. They should have the resources to add key players instead of shedding key players to save money.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree.

This team is not a full rebuilding project. I will not understand a Watson trade unless they get a top Starter back. I doubt that would happen for a set-up guy.

This is a bad rumor. I am not on board with this.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: I agree.

This team is not a full rebuilding project.  I will not understand a Watson trade unless they get a top Starter back.  I doubt that would happen for a set-up guy. 

This is a bad rumor.  I am not on board with this.

I'd like to keep Watson but unless team extends him, he will be a free agent after the season. I could see him playing out his contract with team unless it is a true contender in 2017 and looks like it will be set up to remain a contender for a few years.

That being said, I could easily see the Pirates dealing him to save money (if team believes they could get similar performance from someone cheaper). I'm looking forward to winter meetings and dreading them at the same time as I think by end of those meetings we'll have a good idea of what 2017 will be like.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7D7F656375100 wrote: You wonder how much the 5.9MM plays into that availability. There are a number of ready or all-but-ready arms at AAA. They may feel Watson is a good trade piece with the plus of freeing up money.

Good trade piece means you get good value in return. I don't think for a minute that Pittsburgh gets back someone that immediately helps this roster. We get back a prospect that may or may not help down the road.

This is all about freeing up money to me. It's typical. It's not like they would use it to make the roster better.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

They have been spending money, so it is not typical. Almost every player was extended and didn't have to be. Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, and Cervelli. Kang is signed. Freese was just signed. Mercer is the only regular besides Bell who wasn't extended.

So, they are spending money. They could have let all those guys walk or dealt them.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: They have been spending money, so it is not typical.  Almost every player was extended and didn't have to be.  Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, and Cervelli.  Kang is signed.  Freese was just signed.  Mercer is the only regular besides Bell who wasn't extended.

So, they are spending money.  They could have let all those guys walk or dealt them.

the question is are they going to do what it takes to win a championship with them?

Or are they satisfied to have those guys under contract and hope the pitching staff comes through? Are they willing to pay the price to bring in a good starter? They weren't last year and we'll see this off season.