MLB Trade Rumors -Watson to Seattle?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

52504A4C5A3F0 wrote: Bucs Fan, P2 refers to Pirates Prospects, as site that covers the Pirates minor league players. They generally have an article a day (and more during busy times) and provide excellent coverage. The article I was referring to is at http://www.piratesprospects.com/2016/11 ... -team.html

It is a first pitch article so I think you can read all of it. Most of their articles are for subscribers, and if you aren't a subscriber you can only see the first part of the article. The cost to join is quite reasonable and gives a wonderful source of information as the winter rolls on. Another good site, if you are not familiar with it, is bucsdugout.com. Well done articles.

Enjoy!

I have to second the recommendation from mouse about P2 aka Pirates Prospects. It is a pay site and is not much at all like less than 3 buck per month. You need to check that out on the site. What make P2 good is that the owner Tim Williams, who get some static from some of our posters which is fine with me and Tim covers only Pirate Prospects and he does it in depth. He and his staff see each of the Bucs minor league teams play several times a year and they have contacts with pro scouts in each of the team cities so the info if pretty reliable. In addition he sells a Pirate Prospects Prospect guide that is in book form and gives detailed info and ranks of the kids in the Bucs system. Go on over and take a look, he may have some kind of trial basis that you can use. Good luck.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

[quote author=6676774056565A350 link=1479270030/29#29

So, what is deemed as a good return for Watson?  He struggled as a closer, but is lights out as an eighth inning guy.  We aren't getting someone who could have any impact on our roster for 2017 for him.  The $5 millions savings isn't really enough to go out and find a good solution - both short term and long term.  That is money that goes to more reclamation projects.

IMO, the plan we seem to be heading for is another rebuild.  Cutch possibly on the market, now Watson ... Pittsburgh doesn't seem like its trying hard to keep Nova either.

These are just rumors. 

They offered Nova a deal, he either said No or didn't decide yet.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4249414D4849521711665F474E4949084549260 wrote: [quote author=6676774056565A350 link=1479270030/29#29

So, what is deemed as a good return for Watson?  He struggled as a closer, but is lights out as an eighth inning guy.  We aren't getting someone who could have any impact on our roster for 2017 for him.  The $5 millions savings isn't really enough to go out and find a good solution - both short term and long term.  That is money that goes to more reclamation projects.

IMO, the plan we seem to be heading for is another rebuild.  Cutch possibly on the market, now Watson ... Pittsburgh doesn't seem like its trying hard to keep Nova either.

These are just rumors. 

They offered Nova a deal, he either said No or didn't decide yet.

Sure they are rumors.  However, I asked a question that you don't seem to have an answer for.  Fact is, if there is validity to this and quite frankly with the plan in place this organization has is what I suspect, Watson will be dealt. You made a comment regarding a "good deal" for him. I want to know what constitutes a good deal? I don't think his value is as high as you believe on the market meaning we don't get a better return than you want to believe.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

I don't know. A good deal would be a top starter, but I don't see that happening. I agree with you. I don't see major league ready players coming back unless they get two young bullpen arms. I don't see the point in dealing Watson at this point.

That is why I said it is just a rumor by one source (or team). It could come true and I will also think a rebuilding was taking place. Maybe I don't want to believe that as this team is not in rebuilding state in my opinion. They need to keep Watson, McCutchen and get a starting pitcher and some bullpen arms.
mouse

Post by mouse »

With the recent success teams in the World Series have had with strong relief pitching, relief pitchers are in demand right now. I would expect them to get several prospects for Watson (not a starter or position player for the ML team), should they trade him. Any team looking for a late inning reliever or closer figures they have the rest of the team in place. They aren't likely to trade someone from their ML team but they will trade prospects. I think they will look to AAA for support for their ML staff.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Mouse and Possum, Thanks guys, I will check it out! Appreciate!!!

8-)
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: I don't know.  A good deal would be a top starter, but I don't see that happening.  I agree with you.  I don't see major league ready players coming back unless they get two young bullpen arms.  I don't see the point in dealing Watson at this point.

That is why I said it is just a rumor by one source (or team).  It could come true and I will also think a rebuilding was taking place.  Maybe I don't want to believe that as this team is not in rebuilding state in my opinion.  They need to keep Watson, McCutchen and get a starting pitcher and some bullpen arms.

If we get back one or more players that will give us 6 years each of ML service, it's worth one year of one reliever - IF you're willing to wait for them.

WHY would a team give up a player worth a damn at the ML level NOW if they are trading for one year of a fairly in-demand reliever? Only a team wanting to win that year would trade for him, and they won't weaken their team to get him. We MIGHT, maybe, get someone who is blocked, and we can slide him right in, but I doubt it would be a starting pitcher. Since when is a good or good+ starter ever truly blocked for long?

Since someone is demanding to know exactly this, here's one take:

http://rumbunter.com/2016/11/17/tony-wa ... ade-value/
dogknot17@yahoo.co

That's just it. Teams competing will want Watson. One of those teams should be the Pirates. If the team is doing well, you keep him at the deadline. If they are struggling, you trade him (probably better value too at that time).

There is a reason there are good players who become free agents at the end of every season. I hope the Pirates are (and think they are) at the point where they can let free agents go instead of trying to get something for them. That means they are competing and going for it.

I am in favor of keeping Watson. I don't think he is a Closer, but still a very good and top reliever in all of baseball.

(That is a cool site. Some nice articles.)
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

49424A464342591C1A6D544C454242034E422D0 wrote: That's just it.  Teams competing will want Watson.  One of those teams should be the Pirates.  If the team is doing well, you keep him at the deadline.  If they are struggling, you trade him (probably better value too at that time). 

There is a reason there are good players who become free agents at the end of every season.  I hope the Pirates are (and think they are) at the point where they can let free agents go instead of trying to get something for them.  That means they are competing and going for it.

I am in favor of keeping Watson.  I don't think he is a Closer, but still a very good and top reliever in all of baseball.

(That is a cool site.  Some nice articles.) 

No question Watson could be a help for us this year, but the FO has expressed a desire to be perennial contenders, and not go, "all in" for 1-2 years, then blow it up. As a result, Watson is the kind of guy they will use to repopulate the minors - short time on contract, possibly overvalued, arguably a somewhat 'fungible' asset. They have to keep the minors stocked for their plan to work, and since we're winning, it's harder to get top quality prospects. Doesn't help that they're kind of no-shows in international signings lately (Kang being the exception).

If we trade Watson for some prospects, we should take that $5mil and put it into scouting. We NEED some top-notch scouting and assessment when we aren't getting a top-5 draft pick every year, when we need to find underrated talent on the cheap. I just wish it were that easy to improve the scouting - throw money at it.

And yeah, add me to the 5 million other fans that wish we had more money for the ML team, but I have to consider what I see happening, not what I'd dream would happen. I'm looking forward to the next TV contract. Maybe they'll get something comparable to other teams and be able to add a good chunk more to the payroll. They signed the last contract at a bad time, it seems.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

7A6A6B5C4A4A46290 wrote:

Sure they are rumors.  However, I asked a question that you don't seem to have an answer for.  Fact is, if there is validity to this and quite frankly with the plan in place this organization has is what I suspect, Watson will be dealt.  You made a comment regarding a "good deal" for him.  I want to know what constitutes a good deal?  I don't think his value is as high as you believe on the market meaning we don't get a better return than you want to believe.

Arky Caminero? J/K.

What would we need to bundle with Watson to get back Taijuan Walker? One of the AAA pitchers (not named Glasnow)? Would you give Keller? I wouldn't, but only because Walker is a super-2, and so, we'd probably only have him for 2 years at affordable prices. I'd give Kingham, but I doubt they'd go for that.